News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

incoming callers can not hear me

Started by jrc85, February 22, 2016, 12:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrc85

I have a Obi200 and has worked great but now I can make outgoing calls just fine. Incomeing callers can not hear me but I can hear them. Has anybody had this problem or know how to fix it?

ItzGriff

Yes I had the same problem a few days ago. I notice my OBI 202 updated to 3.1.0 5100 and the problem started there. I rebooted the OBI a few times and that didn't fix it. I then rebooted my modem ,router and OBI which seemed to have fixed the problem for now.

Larrytwa

Hello on this thread.

I have experienced this problem myself.  In the future if possible provide a SIP provider service as in myself Phonepower.com.   This information only help others identify with you.

In both these cases, the problem has to do with the SIP UDP packets being partially blocked or tossed.  Unlike TCP packets UDP packets can be tossed if the routers along the routes are being flooded.  A problem with UDP packets.

To prevent flooding happening your router needs to have certain ports open so these packets don't flood and then get lost or tossed.

Allow Outgoing:
TCP Ports: 6800, 5222, 5223
UDP Ports: 5060, 5061, 10000 to 11000, 16600 to 16998, 19305
Allow Incoming on UDP Port: 10000

Modifying your router setting can be a little complicated as each vendor usually has advanced setting for this option, however when to set these value is a little more complicated.  Best suggestion, get help or google your on how to setup your router to help with these port settings.   Please note, the UDP as these ports carry your streaming voice packets, and UDP packets can be tossed.   QoS or quality of service is available on some routers also help prioritize the importance of UDP packets.  SIP should be high where say something like Netflix can be lower.  I would think you would value your phone message higher than a movie.  

The forum also refer to reducing TX and RX value in expert mode.  Please check forum on choppy voice.  However this really only applies to DSL services with upload of 300K most cable is 30mb down and 6mb up.

One more topic here is the use of DMZ.  Yes, if you put your Obihai in the DMZ it will perform better because the router Firewall will not give any protection from outside hackers.  Yes, this means a hacker can easily find this device and play Yankee doodle calling you whenever and making your device go wacky.  It is an easy way to get this device working, however the correct is to open the ports up helping secure the device behind the router firewall. 

SteveInWA

Quote from: Larrytwa on March 24, 2016, 08:39:36 AM
Hello on this thread.

I have experienced this problem myself.  In the future if possible provide a SIP provider service as in myself Phonepower.com.   This information only help others identify with you.

In both these cases, the problem has to do with the SIP UDP packets being partially blocked or tossed.  Unlike TCP packets UDP packets can be tossed if the routers along the routes are being flooded.  A problem with UDP packets.

To prevent flooding happening your router needs to have certain ports open so these packets don't flood and then get lost or tossed.

Allow Outgoing:
TCP Ports: 6800, 5222, 5223
UDP Ports: 5060, 5061, 10000 to 11000, 16600 to 16998, 19305
Allow Incoming on UDP Port: 10000

Modifying your router setting can be a little complicated as each vendor usually has advanced setting for this option, however when to set these value is a little more complicated.  Best suggestion, get help or google your on how to setup your router to help with these port settings.   Please note, the UDP as these ports carry your streaming voice packets, and UDP packets can be tossed.   QoS or quality of service is available on some routers also help prioritize the importance of UDP packets.  SIP should be high where say something like Netflix can be lower.  I would think you would value your phone message higher than a movie.  

The forum also refer to reducing TX and RX value in expert mode.  Please check forum on choppy voice.  However this really only applies to DSL services with upload of 300K most cable is 30mb down and 6mb up.

One more topic here is the use of DMZ.  Yes, if you put your Obihai in the DMZ it will perform better because the router Firewall will not give any protection from outside hackers.  Yes, this means a hacker can easily find this device and play Yankee doodle calling you whenever and making your device go wacky.  It is an easy way to get this device working, however the correct is to open the ports up helping secure the device behind the router firewall. 

If you are using a SIP VoIP service provider, you don't need to open any ports.  Placing the OBi in the DMZ is not recommended.  Instead, check to see if the router has a SIP ALG setting, and if so, disable it.

drgeoff

I've configured more than 25 different home routers and have never seen one that allows any control over outgoing ports.  Even those running openwrt or dd-wrt.

texasguy

Same here, same unit. Cannot be heard.... ???

I don't think it is our routers. Everything was fine for years... Then it started yesterday.