News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI IPhone app not working

Started by Fred.M, July 17, 2015, 09:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred.M

Hi there I am new to my OBI 110, the unit is working okay for me a such as on my normal phone.  However when I am on the road I forwarded the SIP phone number to my cell phone and the phone never rings.  All it does it goes straight into voice mail.

So I thought that I add the IPhone OBI app and that does not ring with forwarding turned off and or on?  I hope someone can shine some light on this for me because I am lost here.

Thank you for your help,
-Fred

drgeoff

How are you forwarding the SIP number to your cellphone?

An OBi has no voicemail.  What voicemail are the calls going to?

Fred.M

Thank you for your response,
The voice mail is from my VOIP provider. 

When I forward the VOIP number from my phone I am using the *72 = my cell pone number.  However my cell phone never rings. 

drgeoff

1.  Do you terminate the number with # and do you get the confirmation tone?

2.  If you dial the number from the phone on the Obi does your cellphone ring?

3.  Are you forwarding to a conventional cellphone number or to an Obitalk number?

Fred.M

Yes I am ending with a #
No I am getting straight to voice mail
Conventional Cell phone
Again thank you for your help.

-Fred

drgeoff

Why do you think the OBi iphone app is not working?  You have a problem even when not using the app.

Point a browser at the Obi's LAN address and log in.  'admin' and 'admin' are the defaults.  Click on Status and then Call History. The right hand colum will show what number was sent to your ITSP.  Does it match what is needed to reach your cellphone?

Is your ITSP GoogleVoice?

Fred.M

Will do, and no it is not Google Voice.

My cell phone is not ringing when I call my VoIP, that is the issue.

drgeoff

Quote from: Fred.M on July 17, 2015, 03:06:40 PM
Will do, and no it is not Google Voice.

My cell phone is not ringing when I call my VoIP, that is the issue.
No.  The issue is that your cellphone does not ring when you call from the phone on your OBi. Until that works there is no possibility of a forwarded call ringing your cellphone.

When I asked if you can call your cellphone from the phone on your OBi you said it went to voicemail. I assume you meant cellphone voicemail as ITSP voicemail would be nonsense. So why would a call to your cellphone coming in via your ITSP go to cellphone voicemail when other calls to your cellphone do ring that phone?

azrobert

Fred,
You might not understand what is happening when you forward a call. It's not really forwarding the call. You are bridging the call using your service provider. The OBi will place an outbound call to your forwarding number and then connect the inbound and outbound calls. Your service provider must support simultaneous inbound and outbound calls. Since this is an outbound call you will see your service provider's CallerID on the cell, not the original inbound CallerID.

You can forward the call using the OBion app, but it requires configuration change(s). You will get the inbound CallerID when using OBion. The easiest setup is not to forward the call, but send the call to both the phone connected to the OBi and the OBion app. The first to answer will be connected to the call.

Assuming your service provider is defined on SP1 and you're using the default inbound route. make the following change:
Voice Service -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute:
ph,pp(290xxxxxx)

Change 290xxxxxx to the OBi number of the OBion app
The OBi number can be found by selecting the OBiTalk tab on the OBion softphone
Use OBi Expert to make the above change

Fred.M

Thank you for the great explanation, that is exactly the problem I have.  I will take your advice and have it Ring on both the app and the OBI unit.

Thank you so much for your help.
-Fred

Fred.M

Well that did not worked, now my phone shows Jan 8 1:47 am.  I tried to reset the OBI110, checked the firmware and still cannot set the time and or the date?

Help please.

Fred.M

Okay I got the time and date issue fixed, just the forwarding is not working ?

SteveInWA

Wow, this is a lot of tail-chasing.

Which SIP Internet Telephone Service Provider (ITSP) are you using?

Fred.M

Thank you for your reply, it is VOIPo.

drgeoff

I thought you would be back but I expected it would be sooner.  :)

I'm not convinced that you understand how call forwarding works.  Basically there are two methods.

1.  It is handled entirely by your ITSP.  Depending on your ITSP you may be able to activate some rule in your account on the ITSP's web site.  Eg if a call to your number is not answered within X seconds it is forwarded to your cellphone number.  The call is delivered over cellular voice. It does not go through your Obi device.  No Obion app involved at all.

2.  It is handled by the OBi device.  The call comes in to the OBi device and the OBi device forwards it by making a call from itself to your cell phone and then bridging the two calls.  There are two ways of transporting that outgoing call.

2a.  Over the OBitalk network.  This requires that you have the Obion app installed and running on your phone.  And that the phone is connected to the internet either via WiFi or cellular data.

2b.  As an ordinary call via your ITSP.  Obi device to your ITSP as SIP VoIP and then to your cellphone over cellular voice.  No Obion app involved at all.

If you want to do either of 2a or 2b, a first step is being able to make a call from a phone plugged into your OBi device to your cellphone using whichever of Obitalk or ITSP VoIP you elect for.

Fred.M

Yes you where right lol, thank you for your explanation.

I can call out and receive calls for my VOIP service (sip), I can also receive and make calls on my regular phone with no issues ( using the OBI-110.

The problem is that when I use the *72+number+# it does not forward the number to my cell phone.  I am not using the IPhone app at all, I tried the IPhone app and that did not make a difference. 

Also I was wondering if there is a function that tells me what line I am forwarding?  I looked at the manual and I could not find a way where I can select Phone1 or Phone2?

drgeoff

Quote from: Fred.M on July 26, 2015, 08:11:51 AM
Yes you where right lol, thank you for your explanation.

I can call out and receive calls for my VOIP service (sip), I can also receive and make calls on my regular phone with no issues ( using the OBI-110.

The problem is that when I use the *72+number+# it does not forward the number to my cell phone.  I am not using the IPhone app at all, I tried the IPhone app and that did not make a difference.  

Also I was wondering if there is a function that tells me what line I am forwarding?  I looked at the manual and I could not find a way where I can select Phone1 or Phone2?

Well it works for me!
A call coming in on ANY SP will be forwarded to the number you enter.  Which SP it goes out on is determined by the call routeing stuff in exactly the same way as if you dialled the number on the phone plugged in to the OBi.  So you can do *72**11234567890# to use SP1, *72**21234567890 to use SP2, *72**81234567890# to use the POTS line or just *721234567890# to use what is set as PrimaryLine.  As said above if the incoming and outgoing legs are using the same SP the ITSP must support that.  (Obviously the POTS line doesn't support two calls at the same time!)

After you dial the *72 + number + #, log in to the OBi110's local web GUI.  Click on 'Physical Interfaces', then click on 'Line Port'.  Under 'Calling Features' you should see CallForwardUnconditionalEnable with a tick in the box and CallForwardUnconditionalNumber showing something like SP1(1234567890) or LI1(1234567890).

After you dial *73 and refresh the screen the tick box should be cleared but the number will remain.

SteveInWA

Given that Voipo supports call forwarding, it makes more sense to set this up on your Voipo account (drgeoff's method #1), and not try to make #2 work.  You should be able to set up call forwarding rules to send inbound calls to your SIP device (OBi) and/or whatever other forwarding destination you wish (your cell phone).

Fred.M

Thank you for your reply,
I am doing this now.  however; VOIPo is charging me for the incoming call and charging me for the outgoing call per minute as well. So I am getting charged twice and that was the reasoning why I looked into the OBI unit. 

azrobert

When you use *72Cell_number you will still get charged twice. The call will be forwarded to your cell via your service provider on SP1.

There are 2 ways not to get charged twice.

1. OBion App

Make sure you are connected after you sign in to OBion.
You will see "Ready" in the upper right of the OBion dial pad
Create a speed dial like: pp(290xxxxxx)
Change 290xxxxxx to your OBion OBi number

Dial the speed dial number
Does the OBion app ring?
If it doesn't, check the call history on your OBi
To access Call History:
Log directly into the OBi using the local interface.
Key the IP address of the OBi into a Web Browser.
Hit Enter
The UserID and default Password are both "admin".
Click Status on the left column.
Then click Call History.
What does it show?

2. Using an SIP softphone

Get a free IP Freedom account at Callcentric
http://www.callcentric.com/products/
Click Order Now to the right of IP Freedom
Enter New Customer Info

Install an SIP softphone on your iPhone
Zoiper has a free softphone for the iPhone
Configure Softphone with your CC credentials
Proxy: callcentric.com
User: 1777xxxxxxx
Password: CC_PW

Create a speed dial like: sp1(1777xxxxxxx@in.callcentric.com)
Change 1777xxxxxxx to your CC account number

Dial the speed dial number
Does the softphone ring?
If it doesn't, check the call history on your OBi

If either of the above speed dials work then we can setup call forwarding on your OBi.