News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 setup dead end

Started by robi, July 18, 2015, 04:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robi

I'm out of ideas.  My Obi202 connects to my router, has solid green power and network led on.  Has an IP address and shows up on my Dashboard when I dial the **5xxxx number.  But is shows up as offline.  I can't dial out even to **9 222 222 222.  I've added the IP address to DMZ on my Cisco DPC3825 router, and tried numerous factory resets but results are the same.  Not able to ping OBi's IP address from PC.

robi

Figured it out.  You must disable the firewall on the router COMPLETELY for the OBi to connect.  Firmware update and configuration with Google Voice as SP1 was successful.  Able to dial out and in.  Returned firewall to normal state and able to dial out only even with phones IP address in the DMZ queue.....Puzzling.

drgeoff

If you cannot ping the OBi's IP address you are doing something wrong and it is very unlikely that the blame can be justifiably laid at Obihai's door.

Are you using the 202 in its default router mode or have you switched it to bridge mode? How is everything connected?

I have never yet encounteted a home router running stock firmware that can implement any sort of firewall, filtering or blocking between its wired LAN ports.

robi

I can now ping the OBI's IP address and I can get to the admin screens via browser. Router configurations show all defaults checked including LAN settings router mode (router). OBI Still shows offline, firmware update needed.  Dialed *** selected option 6 attendant says no update available. 

I'm connected directly to the router within my Cisco DCP3825 DOCSIS 3.0 gateway.  The rest of my home network is connected to this gateway through a CISCO Gigabit switch.

drgeoff

My guess is that you have the OBi's LAN port connected to the rest of your home network. That will NOT work if the OBi is in router mode.

Either:

1. Put the OBi into bridge mode. Both of its ethernet sockets are then on the same subnet and either can be connected to the rest of your home network.

or

2. Keep the OBi in router mode and connect its WAN ethernet socket to the rest of your network. To access the OBi GUI you must either connect a computer to the OBi LAN port or you need to enable access from the WAN.  System Management/Device Admin/Web Server/AccessFromWAN.

or

3. Keep the OBi in router mode. Connect its WAN port to your Cisco gateway. Connect EVERYTHING else to the gigabit switch and thence to the OBi's LAN port.

I recommend #1. I strongly advise against #3 as the OBi can only sustain about 30 Mbit/s throughput and you will likely be introducing a double NAT which only complicates matters especially if you ever want to do port forwarding.

robi

I have nothing connected to the OBi LAN port.  The only connection is from the Ethernet (WAN) port directly to the router.  I tried changing from Router to Bridge mode.  Rebooted to confirm the setting was accepted then rebooted my router and deleted and added the Obi to my desktop.  Connection accepted but still shows Offline with firmware update required.

I have the router configured to give the OBI a static IP address (192.168.0.12) could that be causing the problem?

OzarkEdge

Put the OBi in bridge mode.
Connect it's Ethernet/WAN port to a LAN port on your router.
Set your router to assign a dynamic or static IP address from the pool of IP addresses being used on your LAN... typically 192.168.1.*.
Don't use DMZ or QoS or disable your router firewall.
Do disable any router SIP ALG helper function.
Change the OBi WAN/Internet port from default (2) 10Mbs half-duplex to (1) 100Mbs full-duplex:
Dial *** for Device Configuration Menu
Dial 0 for option
Dial 27# for current value
Dial 1 to set a new value
Dial 1# for new value 100Mbs full-duplex
Dial 1 to confirm/save
Hang up to reboot automatically

OE

robi

I can't find where to execute this instruction.

"Change the OBi WAN/Internet port from default (2) 10Mbs half-duplex to (1) 100Mbs full-duplex:"

LTN1

Quote from: OzarkEdge on August 02, 2015, 02:17:56 PM

Change the OBi WAN/Internet port from default (2) 10Mbs half-duplex to (1) 100Mbs full-duplex:
Dial 0 for option
Dial 1 to confirm/save

OE

OE...I noticed that you like to give the above recommendation. What practical advantages will the OP or anyone else have from changing the default to 100mbs full duplex on a normal functioning OBi?

OzarkEdge

Quote from: robi on August 02, 2015, 03:07:46 PM
I can't find where to execute this instruction.

"Change the OBi WAN/Internet port from default (2) 10Mbs half-duplex to (1) 100Mbs full-duplex:"
Dial *** for Device Configuration Menu...

Plug a phone into your OBi phone port and dial ***.

OE

OzarkEdge

Quote from: LTN1 on August 02, 2015, 03:32:38 PM
Quote from: OzarkEdge on August 02, 2015, 02:17:56 PM

Dial 0 for option
Dial 1 to confirm/save

OE

OE...I noticed that you like to give the above recommendation. What practical advantages will the OP or anyone else have from changing the default to 100mbs full duplex on a normal functioning OBi?

It's incidental advice that doesn't hurt and could help if you are using an OBi202 as a router or as a switch to connect an additional device.  The OP has a Gigabit LAN... he'll like the idea.

A better question is why is the default 10 Mbps half-duplex?

Edit:  The default on firmware Build 4330 is (2) 10Mbps.  The default on firmware Build 4581 is now (0) Auto.  I don't examine every firmware release for such changes.  This change is not documented in firmware Release notes.  The (0) Auto setting is not documented in the Device Admin Guide.  Perhaps switching an OBi202 to Bridge Mode automatically switches it to a 100Mbps switch since it no longer has routing overhead to burden it.

OE

LTN1

Quote from: OzarkEdge on August 02, 2015, 03:49:18 PM

OE

I'd like to know the answer to that question also. As my OBi202 is working perfectly on virtually all the default settings, I hesitate to make the change--though it seems enticing to theoretically have more power.

robi

I want to thank all for their help.  I was initially able to get the thing working by turning my routers firewall completely off.  I was advised by Tech Support to return the device and mark it defective.  I got the replacement today and had the same issues.  Only by turning my gateway/router firewall completely off am I able to connect and configure an SP.  Once that is done I can turn the firewall back on and am only able to dial out.

OzarkEdge

Quote from: LTN1 on August 02, 2015, 03:57:26 PM

OE

I'd like to know the answer to that question also. As my OBi202 is working perfectly on virtually all the default settings, I hesitate to make the change--though it seems enticing to theoretically have more power.

Maybe the platform is underpowered for full utilization, call processing plus 100 Mbps traffic?  I figure set it for max utility but then don't use.  Then if you do use it for the occasional LAN connection, it will serve well enough short term at 100 Mbps.

A router with a 10 Mbps half-duplex uplink seems silly, which is probably why it's not documented.

OE

drgeoff

@robi
You appear to have a rather aggressive/paranoid/insert your own adjective router firewall.

There are some ports that Obihai say need to be open which will possibly cure your no incoming problem.

http://www.obihai.com/faq/Troubleshooting-sec/ports-to-keep-open-on-my-router

However I am somewhat puzzled by that FAQ as I've never encountered a home router that has settings to block outgoing ports.

Also see http://www.obihai.com/faq/sip-alg

OzarkEdge

Quote from: drgeoff on August 02, 2015, 04:12:59 PM
@robi
You appear to have a rather aggressive/paranoid/insert your own adjective router firewall.

It's not clear how he has the OBi connected/configured with his router.  He mentioned having it in a DMZ queue?

Perhaps resetting his router to defaults and connecting the OBi to a LAN port like any other LAN device might cure his firewall interference.

OE

SteveInWA

Quote from: OzarkEdge on August 02, 2015, 04:07:54 PM
Quote from: LTN1 on August 02, 2015, 03:57:26 PM

OE

Maybe the platform is underpowered for full utilization, call processing plus 100 Mbps traffic?  I figure set it for max utility but then don't use.  Then if you do use it for the occasional LAN connection, it will serve well enough short term at 100 Mbps.

A router with a 10 Mbps half-duplex uplink seems silly, which is probably why it's not documented.

OE

Where is your evidence that this is happening?  The default value of this parameter is zero, for "auto", not 10Mbps/half-duplex, and there should  be no need to mess with that parameter.