News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

VLAN tagging in bridge mode

Started by schultzter, July 21, 2015, 10:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schultzter

I'm trying to set-up my home network with a minimum of devices, particularly to keep the UPS going as long as possible in the event of a power failure.

I have fibre service (FTTH) and all my internet traffic needs to be tagged with VLAN 35, over a PPPoE connection to the ONT. The ONT has it's own UPS. I want to connect my ATA directly to the ONT so I only need to put the ATA on my UPS.

What I'm wondering is if I put the Obi (probably an Obi302, maybe a 202) in bridge mode will it still tag all the VoIP traffic with VLAN 35? I read the VLAN Support in Bridge Mode in the Admin Guide but it's not clear to me what happens to the VoIP traffic generated through the Obi itself.

Alternatively, if I leave the Obi in router mode will my actual router still be able to provide Guest Wi-Fi access? And would I have to connect the router using one of it's LAN ports? Or could I still use the WAN port (so I have four LAN ports for devices on my LAN).

As a last resort, any suggestions for cheap (sub-$100) switch with low power consumption and the ability to do VLAN tagging?

Thanks so much for your help.