News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Want to drop landline and switch to Obi. Clueless!

Started by Pi314, July 28, 2015, 08:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pi314

I'm with Verizon for home phone (regular copper line).

just got Comcast/xfinity for internet.
heard I can save $ by dropping Verizon and switching my phone # to Obi.

I have not bought any hardware.

What do I need to do?  ???
(talk to me like I'm a 5yr old.)

Is there a FAQ on how to switch?

thx

RFC3261

Quote from: Pi314 on July 28, 2015, 08:34:53 AM
What do I need to do? 

To obtain the best advice, you need to provide a bit more information regarding your requirements.

These things are off the top of my head:

* Do you have more than one line?
* Do you make a lot of outgoing calls?  How many minutes per month?
* Do you make international calls?
* Do you live in, or make calls to phone exchanges with high call completion
  charges (usually rural areas that receive subsidies from the FCC)
* Do you need/want to keep your existing number?
* Are you willing to accept that if your Internet goes down, so will your phone service?
  (this includes power losses in your residence)
* Do you have any dial-out modem requirements for things like alarms?
* Fax requirements?
* Where are you on the cost/reliability curve?

I am sure there are others, but these would be a good start.

I will note that Comcast is (more than) willing to offer a bundle with phone service.  And while that is not always the best choice, you should look into the option.

Pi314

Quote from: RFC3261 on July 28, 2015, 11:08:31 AM
What do I need to do? 

To obtain the best advice, you need to provide a bit more information regarding your requirements.

These things are off the top of my head:

* Do you have more than one line?
* Do you make a lot of outgoing calls?  How many minutes per month?
* Do you make international calls?
* Do you live in, or make calls to phone exchanges with high call completion
  charges (usually rural areas that receive subsidies from the FCC)
* Do you need/want to keep your existing number?
* Are you willing to accept that if your Internet goes down, so will your phone service?
  (this includes power losses in your residence)
* Do you have any dial-out modem requirements for things like alarms?
* Fax requirements?
* Where are you on the cost/reliability curve?

I am sure there are others, but these would be a good start.

I will note that Comcast is (more than) willing to offer a bundle with phone service.  And while that is not always the best choice, you should look into the option.

-I also have a cell phone, pageplus (Verizon reseller)
-I only make local calls using my home phone and not very many minutes. I use my cell for everything else.
-no intl calls
-no to phone exchanges

- yes, want to keep my home phone #.
it would be a MAJOR pain to call up my credit cards/banks/doctors/etc and change them

- yes, will accept no phone service if no internet. I still have my cell.
-no alarm company or fax requirements

- don't really care if my home phone goes up and down like a yoyo.
my main purpose is laziness in calling up companies and changing the #.
I guess a minor purpose is 911. But in the 10yrs I've lived here, I have never called 911.

DR_MN

sounds like what you want to do is save your landline phone number.  Have you considered porting it to RingTo?  It's free to port a landline number and then all you'd have to do is forward it to your cell phone.

I ended up porting my landline to RingTo and forward it to a voip provider that's set up on my Obi100.  You can also set up RingTo directly on the Obi device.

If using your cell phone for all calls isn't an issue for you then just porting to ringto and forwarding to the cell is a no cost way to go.

SteveInWA

To add to the excellent set of questions and considerations provided by RFC3261:

Asking that question here on the forum is a bit tricky, as the regular posters tend to have a high level of interest and/or skill in VoIP telephone technology, and enjoy tinkering with it.  Some folks turn this into a hobby with a curious level of intensity or focus, and that may not describe your level of interest or technical skill.  Translation:  this stuff is not for everyone.

Your main goal is to keep your existing home phone number, but given that you also have a cell phone, you'd like to "cut the cord" to what is no longer a heavily-used service.

RFC3261 brought up a point worth exploring:  Take a look at the current cost of your Verizon land line.  Call Comcast and see what they'll negotiate, if you port your existing Verizon number to them.  Usually, bundling in a "2-fer" like internet+telephone service gives you a discount on each service, so don't sign up during that sales call; take some time to do the math and compare the net cost difference if you go with Comcast, vs. staying with Verizon, vs, neither of those two.

Comcast does charge a lot of money for their telephone service, which they try to market to people who will heavily use it for unlimited calling.  Pro:  it is very reliable, and runs over their managed IP network, so call quality should be excellent (as long as you have excellent internet service, which sadly isn't a given everywhere).  Con:  it may not be worth the price (you don't need that level of service).

If you want to save money and just keep that number for occasional inbound and outbound calls and E-911 service, then you can port your existing phone number to one of the quality SIP VoIP service providers that work with OBi devices, or to Google Voice.  If you choose the latter option, keep in mind that porting is more complex, because Google can't accept inbound ports from land line providers.  You'd need to first port the Verizon number to a prepaid cell phone company, like AT&T GoPhone or T-Mobile, then wait a few days to a week, and then port it to GV.  There is a broad range of pricing among the providers, depending on calling volume and services offered.

There is  great deal of previous discussion on these topics here on the forum, so please feel free to do some time reading through the material, to answer some of the previously-answered, common questions, then come back with your next round.

Pi314

Quote from: DR_MN on July 28, 2015, 02:14:08 PM
sounds like what you want to do is save your landline phone number.  Have you considered porting it to RingTo?  It's free to port a landline number and then all you'd have to do is forward it to your cell phone.

I ended up porting my landline to RingTo and forward it to a voip provider that's set up on my Obi100.  You can also set up RingTo directly on the Obi device.

If using your cell phone for all calls isn't an issue for you then just porting to ringto and forwarding to the cell is a no cost way to go.

so if I can do obi100 and RingTo, then why is everyone talking about Google Voice?
What's the advantage of Google voice over RingTo?

also got questions about the physical setup of the obi100:

-so I need a cat5 cable from the Obi100 to my router? cant connect via wireless?

- I need to connect my phone directly to the Obi100?
or just connect the obi100 to a phone jack and all the phones in my house will work like normal?

(I have 3 phones on two floors. )

Pi314

SteveInWA,

my Verizon landline is $10/month for no frills.
taxes and surcharges = $21/month!  >:(

Comcast phone is $10/month more.
I'm assuming with taxes + surcharges it's about the same.

and Obi is free.
now is e911 from Obi or google voice?
can I get e911 from RingTo?

DR_MN

Quote from: Pi314 on July 29, 2015, 04:58:17 AM

so if I can do obi100 and RingTo, then why is everyone talking about Google Voice?
What's the advantage of Google voice over RingTo?

also got questions about the physical setup of the obi100:

-so I need a cat5 cable from the Obi100 to my router? cant connect via wireless?

- I need to connect my phone directly to the Obi100?
or just connect the obi100 to a phone jack and all the phones in my house will work like normal?

You can't port a landline directly to GV like you can with RingTo.  You don't need E911 to configure GV to Obi like you do with RingTo.  GV needs the Google Chat option which requires a few more steps in configuration to work with Obi. 

The Obi100 does not connect wirelessly to the router. There is a different Obi device for that. I have my base unit for my wireless phones connected to the Obi with additional handsets in different rooms.  Apparently there is a way to connect to wall jacks but it requires some wiring changes.  You can search for posts that discuss this.

DR_MN

Quote from: Pi314 on July 29, 2015, 05:03:13 AM

now is e911 from Obi or google voice?
can I get e911 from RingTo?

GV doesn't provide or require e911.  RingTo does require e911 that you set up with a provider called Anveo at the same time you set up RingTo.  It costs $12/year.  There are also other providers that include e911 when you purchase their voip service.  You should research Obi's approved service providers for their costs. 

SteveInWA

What do I need to do?  ???
(talk to me like I'm a 5yr old.

OBi products require more than a 5-year old's reading comprehension and thinking skills.

Get a magicJack -- it'll be a lot simpler.

LTN1

Though I'm certainly not in his expertise league, I would agree with Steve's recommendation if you want an easy to use VoIP telephone solution. Consider even Ooma if you just want plug and play with e911--though there will be a monthly tax amount of roughly $4 even if the Ooma service is free to use (after buying the equipment of course).

While the OBi is quite easy to use for many of us, I have seen a handful of people have really hard issues--be it a conflict with their cable modem, ISP or even the initial setup with GV and the Obitalk web site. If these difficulties arise, you really need a moderate level of technical skills to troubleshoot and overcome them. With the MagicJack and Ooma...it is close to being plug and play.

To me, the OBi is also close to being a plug and play if you have been using GV for awhile. If not, and if you run into the issues mentioned above, you need to be both technical savvy and research savvy (as in researching these threads and the GV forum) to find a solution. If you want help, you also need to describe your issues with as much precision as you can, as volunteers can't really help unless they have enough information.

azrobert

The telephone company supplies voltage to your house wiring that can damage your OBi. When you cancel your phone service there is no guarantee the voltage will be removed, so you must disconnect the house wiring from the phone company's wiring. You should have an outside junction box with a test jack. Just unplug the test jack to disconnect the house wiring. See the video link below starting at 2 minutes. A better way is to remove the wiring because someone can inadvertently reconnect the plug. On the video to the right of the test plug there are 2 terminals. Disconnect the wiring from those terminals. You should cut any bare wire to prevent shorting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNaNQEMKNmc

The OBi200 has an optional usb WiFi dongle called OBiWiFi. You cannot use a different brand WiFi dongle.

Pi314

Quote from: DR_MN on July 29, 2015, 08:00:46 AMYou can't port a landline directly to GV like you can with RingTo.  You don't need E911 to configure GV to Obi like you do with RingTo.  GV needs the Google Chat option which requires a few more steps in configuration to work with Obi. 

The Obi100 does not connect wirelessly to the router. There is a different Obi device for that. I have my base unit for my wireless phones connected to the Obi with additional handsets in different rooms.  Apparently there is a way to connect to wall jacks but it requires some wiring changes.  You can search for posts that discuss this.

since I'm porting a landline AND I want e911, it sounds like RingTo is what I need.

What advantages does GV have over RingTo?

DR_MN

Quote from: Pi314 on July 29, 2015, 11:38:26 AM

since I'm porting a landline AND I want e911, it sounds like RingTo is what I need.

What advantages does GV have over RingTo?

RingTo or one of the other approved providers that provides e911.  I suppose the biggest advantage for GV is that it is completely free.  I'm going to repeat my suggestion that you research the approved providers so you know what each offers.

Lavarock7

You could port your landline number to Voip.Ms for free.

You can then either buy an Obi which would connect to the Voip account and give you a phone line at home, without the landline.

Alternatively, you could port the number to Voip.Ms and tell it to forward call to your cell. You would pay a penny or two a minute while you decide and/or test an Obi.

Alternatively, you could port your number and just have the calls go to voicemail. Then have the voicemails sent to your email (or email on your phone).

With Voip.Ms porting is free but having them hold the number for you will cost perhaps $1 or so a month before calls. They charge a per minute cost on all calls except Voip.ms to Voip.Ms customers and toll-free numbers.

Want to test this out before porting?

Get an Obi, get the account and buy a number in your area. That will probably cost $1 to get a number and $1 the first month and maybe 50 cents for testing. You could then cancel the number and your test costs less than $3. If it works well for you, port the number.

Note that you could use your home PC and a program like Zoiper to connect to Voip.Ms but the Obi is a cleaner and more preferred solution.

Note also that there are many voip providers and you may find a different one suited to your needs. Callcentric offers a free inbound number in NYC and has a FAX receiving function built in which answers a number as a FAX and emails you a PDF of the received document.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

SteveInWA

I think you guys have perfectly proven my point. 

A complete newbie with no technical skill at all, and apparently limited ability to read up on the topic, has not yet even purchased a device, and is only asking for advice.  The result is a swamp with a lot of DIY VoIP technology, including a primer on house wiring.   :-\

Get a magicJack

azrobert

Quote from: SteveInWA on July 29, 2015, 05:01:04 PM
The result is a swamp with a lot of DIY VoIP technology, including a primer on house wiring.

The OP specifically asked about connecting an OBi to the house wiring.  The OP will want to use all his phones with any choice he makes, so the house wiring primer applies to MagicJack or any other ATA type device.

Quote- I need to connect my phone directly to the Obi100?

LTN1

Quote from: azrobert on July 29, 2015, 07:04:10 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on July 29, 2015, 05:01:04 PM
The result is a swamp with a lot of DIY VoIP technology, including a primer on house wiring.

The OP specifically asked about connecting an OBi to the house wiring.  The OP will want to use all his phones with any choice he makes, so the house wiring primer applies to MagicJack or any other ATA type device.

Quote- I need to connect my phone directly to the Obi100?

Seems to me the OP was just throwing out questions on how the OBi could be used--not that he was prepared to VoIP his entire house by disconnecting his POTS wire(s) from the main box and ensuring the proper splice so it doesn't get accidentally plugged in, etc. But maybe he was just being modest and humble and is really technically oriented and all he needs is a few instructions on how to unplug from the picture attached. It depends on how we read, "(talk to me like I'm a 5yr old.)." I and Steve read it for what it is.

Johnny

As I see it,  OP asked for advice on how he could switch to an Obi.

Telling him to get a MagicJack or any other type of all in one solution isn't addressing his question.

If you can't address the question you really should just move along.  

As far as "talk to me like I'm a five year old",  well, looks like some people need a sense of humor. :)

That being said, I would agree with Lavarock7, as far as checking out Voip.ms.

Even a five year old could figure it out. :)

I am living proof.........................

azrobert

Quote from: LTN1 on July 30, 2015, 06:22:38 AM
It depends on how we read, "(talk to me like I'm a 5yr old.)." I and Steve read it for what it is.
You are correct, but I don't think the OP literally meant he had the intellect of a 5 year old. He was able to find this forum, register and post a question, so I think he is capable of finding the telephone demarcation box and disconnect 2 wires.

The OP wants to dump his POTS service
The OP wants to use 3 phones on 2 house levels

Maybe I rambled on more than needed, but the primer applies to an OBi or MagicJack. Again, the OP specifically asked about plugging into the house wiring. If I or someone else didn't warn him, he might try it and fry his equipment.