News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi randomly drops audio

Started by wlepse, July 29, 2015, 12:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wlepse

I tried to search this out but didn't seem to find anything that was the same as what I see. Basically there are times the device works perfect, audio in both directions is fine. Then there are other times were at any time (beginning of a call or 20 minutes into a conversation) the non google voice caller will lose audio. The call is not dropped, just no audio. But on the google voice side you still hear the other person perfect. It does this so randomly I haven't been able to really troubleshoot it and see if there was a spike in network traffic, but I would not expect this to be the case since there aren't many connected devices and most are inactive at the times this has happened.  I have had this device since 2011 and only recently started having the issues, configuration has not been changed so I am at a loss to what is going on.

sailing

Check out the thread https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10006.5;wap2. This contains the response I got from Voip.ms to a similar problem. Although with my audio problem, it either worked or it didn't. The main part of the solution changing from UDP to TCP protocol. If this works, please let us know on the forum.

wlepse

Thanks...I will give that a shot and see if it helps.

Any thoughts on why this device used to function fine and now there are issues? It is about 5 yo, could it just be starting to fail? I have changed internet service providers but my current connection is faster both up and down so I don't think I am having an issue with bandwidth. To be honest I am not sure if this change happened with the ISP change or not since I don't use the phone much and problem is so sporadic. But any thoughts on other things to check would be appreciated.

gsmlnx

Did the change of ISP also mean a new router?

If so, the issue maybe in the router. Log on to the router and look for SIP ALG and see if it is enabled. If it is, then disabling it may solve the problem.

sailing

My Obi would work fine for months then start having an audio problem. I would reboot then the problem wouldn't reappear for months. I went for years without this problem. It has been awhile since I've set it to TCP so I cannot definitively say the issue is gone but so far so good. If the issue is TCP, then the problem probably has nothing to do with you. TCP requires a response to know that the packets were received. With UDP, if the packets never never reach its destination, the sender would never know, hence no audio.