News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

ObiWifi is sucking

Started by LexKY, August 01, 2015, 11:26:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LexKY

I'm unable to connect to the IP address 192.168.10.1/wifi or alternatively obiconnect.com/wifi

I get a blank screen from all 3 browsers when trying to connect to the local IP address associated with the wifi adapter. However, I'm able to ping the Obi_Wifi device and get successful echo replys.

I have tried to connect to 192.168.10.1/wifi on 3 different browsers (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Edge). All have failed. Alternatively, when I try to go to "obiconnect.com/wifi", I get re-directed to an online tutorial page on how to setup ObiWifi. Please help!

LexKY

On Google Chrome:

ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Google Chrome's connection attempt to 192.168.10.1 was rejected. The website may be down or your network may not be properly configured.
Check your Internet connection
Check any cables and reboot any routers, modems or other network devices you may be using.
Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings.
If it is already listed as a programme that is allowed to access the network, try removing it from the list and adding it again.
If you use a proxy server...
Check your proxy settings or contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working. If you don't believe you should be using a proxy server: Go to the Chrome menu > Settings > + Show advanced settings > Change proxy settings... > LAN Settings and deselect "Use a proxy server for your LAN".

I am not on a proxy server, I don't understand why I can't connect locally to this access point

sailing

I don't know anything about the Obi wifi but an observation about your IP address. Router's default IP address' for home are 192.168.0.xxx. You are using 192.168.10.xxx. Assuming your home network is 192.168.10.xxx, the router's address is always 192.168.10.1 unless you actually changed this. Assuming your router is at its default address, then you cannot use that address for any other device. You would also be accessing your router but you are being rejected. Since all browsers are rejecting your attempts, I believe you are using the wrong IP network (10 rather then 0).

drgeoff

@sailing
Your post is in danger of winning a competition for the highest ratio of errors to helpful facts.

Read http://www.obihai.com/faq/OBiWiFi-sec/How-do-I-set-up-OBiWiFi before asserting that 192.168.10.1 is incorrect.

While the 192.168.0 subnet may be the default of the routers you have seen,  I have encountered many more than you and 192.168.1 is frequently the default. And some default to 10.0.0. Furthermore you are incorrect that the fourth number in the dotted quad will be 1 for the router. Every home router model supplied to my ISP's customers for more than 10 years has had 192.168.1.254 as its default IP address.

drgeoff

@LexKY
Maybe you already tried this. Ensure the OBiWiFi is plugged in before powering up the 202.

SteveInWA

Quote from: drgeoff on August 03, 2015, 09:50:12 AM
Furthermore you are incorrect that the fourth number in the dotted quad will be 1 for the router. Every home router model supplied to my ISP's customers for more than 10 years has had 192.168.1.254 as its default IP address.

I have never, ever seen a residential-class router whose own IP address was .254.  Perhaps that's unique to your ISP in the UK.

Every such router I have ever touched has had .1 or .0 as its address, at the start of its DHCP scope.

In my case, just to be a nerd, I change mine to something else, but really, it can be anything, as long as the scope and the subnet mask are legitimate and valid.

It's a moot point, as it isn't this user's problem anyhow.

drgeoff

The .254 is certainly not confined to the 6 models of router that have been distributed in millions by my ISP. For example the Thomson TG789vn has 192.168.1.254 as default and that has never been supplied by that ISP even disguised with ISP branding and a different casing.

See http://www.routerloginguide.com/192-168-1-254-login-details/ for more makes including 2-wire used by AT&T. www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401537&cv=801

SteveInWA

Granted, some ISPs may configure their routers' default gateway as .254, but it is absolutely, positively not required, nor is it relevant in any way to the original poster's problem.  Nearly every retail router sold in the USA, by companies such as Linksys/Belkin, D-Link, Netgear, TPLink, etc, come with a default gateway of 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1, and you can arbitrarily change it to whatever you wish, as long as (a) it is within one of these private IP address ranges:

10.0.0.0/8 IP addresses: 10.0.0.0 -- 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0/12 IP addresses: 172.16.0.0 -- 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0/16 IP addresses: 192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255

Source:  https://www.arin.net/knowledge/address_filters.html

Setting up the OBiWiFi, in fact, has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with any router at all.  The procedure calls for initiating a connection from the computer to the OBi, not the router, and it is the Obi, not any router, that is offering that address.  It's an arbitrary, temporary address, being sent by the OBi, acting as an access point, to the computer.

These are the correct setup instructions:

http://www.obihai.com/faq/OBiWiFi-sec/How-do-I-set-up-OBiWiFi

Alternatively, the OP can temporarily connect the OBi 202 to a hardwired Ethernet port on a router, get it set up on the OBiTALK portal, and then go to the OBiWiFi Configuration page to manually type in the SSID and passphrase.

drgeoff

@SteveInWA
We seem to be in violent agreement.  :)

Your statement "I have never, ever seen..." just means that of the subset of routers you have seen, none had the defaults I mentioned. I didn't make any claim as to how widespread they are,  just that they do exist, are not unique to my ISP,  and so sailing's assertion was unfounded. Nor did I even hint, never mind assert, that a default gateway of .254 is required or would solve the OP's problem.

I had already given the link to the instructions for setting up OBiWiFi and anyone reading those should be in no doubt that the 192.168.10.1 business is about computer to OBiWiFi,  not involving the router.  I'm reasonably certain the OP understood that. Evidently sailing did not and he did write "I don't know anything about the Obi wifi".

sailing

@drgeoff
I did qualify what I said but after reading your link about the Obi/wifi, I realized my post was completely off topic. But, based on the home routers I've encountered and the reading I've done in setting up routers, including various services that come with DD-WRT upgraded routers, the usual IP is 192.168.0. The few ISP routers I've seen also use .0 for their network. From now on I will leave the Obi specific questions to those who know more then me.

drgeoff

This is a long shot but ..

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8982.0

202 support for OBiWIFI was introduced in firmware version 3180.  Enhancements to the OBiWiFi setup process were added in 4581.  If the firmware in your OBi is very old maybe the process you are trying to follow just doesn't work.

What firmware version is your Obi?