News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Incoming CID & CNAME in OBI202 history, but house phones show N/A

Started by vaguy, July 31, 2015, 09:04:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vaguy

I have an OBI202 set up with Google Voice for outbound and Callcentric for incoming calls.
I have Google Voice forward calls to my Callcentric #.
Normally this works fine (except for the known GV-> Callcentric sporadic dropping of CID info).

But today, Caller ID showed up on my telephone as N/A
I checked the OBI202 history - the CID & CNAME are present.

What would cause the OBI202 not to pass on to my house phones the CID/CNAME info that it received"
Is there a setting I might be able to tweak on PH1?

ianobi

I can't see an obvious answer to this, but have a look here:

Status > PHONE Port Status > LastCallerInfo:

The information should be in this format:
'CName' CallerID

As far as I can tell, this is the final point of monitoring before the physical Phone Port. If CName and CallerID shows up here, the it might be worth trying a different phone. Maybe the format that CName and CallerID is arriving at your OBi has changed for some reason?

vaguy

I'll keep an eye out on Status > PHONE Port Status > LastCallerInfo: the
next time I see an N/A.  This has happened only once.

I can tell you from the history that the CNAME and CID shown there were in the identical format and from the identical originating phone # that has worked correctly in previous calls.

In regards to trying a different phone, "N/A" showed up on my VTech phones, PC modems, and DirecTV STB.

When Google Voice drops the CID, I normally see a blank CID in the history and the OBi202 passes on "Private Name" and "Private Number" to my home equipment.

So I'm mystified under what circumstances the ObiTalk 202 would push out "N/A" for a CID.

Something else I noticed ...
I compared clocks on my PC and the OBi202 (I used a direct connect to the OBi202, not the portal).
They are within 1 second of each other.
But my PC's modem call log is showing an incoming calls 6-7 seconds later than calls logged in the OBi202.  This is on all calls, not just the "N/A" call.  I haven't really noticed a lag on the phone ringing.  Just thought I'd throw this in under full disclosure.

CoalMinerRetired

I'll jump in here, no specific ideas, but a few things to try. 

This calls for a divide & conquer approach, narrow the root cause down to one specific thing, an OBi configuration, or your phone handset(s). 

-Do the handset(s) behave correctly, i.e., not show "N/A" when connected to a phone line other than the port on your Obi202?

-What do you see if you call your CallCentric number directly (bypassing GV)? The main possibility here is a call to your GV # is ringing both your GV # and your CC number and the OBi receives one before the other.

-What happens if you place a call to your GV # after you've changed your GV Settings and disable the the forwarding to the CC #? Hint/Tip: Nothing should ring on the Obi.

-Last thing, and this one is a long shot: Caller ID and Name delivery to an analog phone is defined to occur between the first and second ring. OBi devices go a little further and allow this to be configurable, see Physical Interfaces > Port Settings  > CallerIDTrigger.  This is not always as it seems, even though it may be set to After First Ring (the default), that assumes you have a 2.0 second ring with a 4.0 second pause. If you change the ring patters at all form the defaults, you can have any number of rings you want, but the ringing signaling must stop at 2.0 seconds (if set to After First Ring) to allow the electrician signals for Caller ID and Name to be delivered to the phone (before the next ring).  If you even suspect this at all, revert to the defaults (on OBI and your phone handset) and see what happens. 

We'll all be curious, report back whan you find.