News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can I set-up my Obi without a router?

Started by otherwhirl, October 23, 2011, 01:14:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

otherwhirl

i don't have a router currently. is it possible to set-up the obi110 without a router? (and how so?)

Thanks!

Stewart

If your modem has more than one Ethernet jack, it is set up as a router and you don't need anything else.

Otherwise, you could connect your OBi directly to your modem.  However, your computer would then be offline.  Likewise, when you reconnect the computer, you couldn't use the OBi.

Who is your ISP?  Modem model?  Do you have a smartphone or other way to access the Internet, besides your modem?

otherwhirl

Hi,

Thanks for responding quickly.

Unfortunately my modem has only one port. So looks like i'll be heading to the store to get a router asap. ;D

Comcast is my ISP

Modem = Ubee D3.0

Don't have any other way to get online presently.

Dav3yDark0

Some modern cable/dsl modems have router functionality built into them, even though they only have 1 LAN port. For those types of modems you can just get an ethernet switch to give you more ports to attach more devices to. I have no idea if you particular modems supports this, but many newer modems do.

Dave