News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

What happens now? - GV was being forwarded to my cel...

Started by ShotGal, August 18, 2015, 05:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShotGal

I had been using my GV number and a second line to distinguish between personal and my small part time businesses - then decided to break it out onto a dedicated phone while in the office.  Enter an OBi200.

It is hooked to GV now and seems to be working fine but I'm curious - when my GV number is called will the cel and dedicated phone now both ring - or what?

It would actually be helpful if they did - so I can answer either in office or on the go.  If the Obi takes over the number entirely, then that's OK too, I'll always have voicemail.

SteveInWA

Short answer:  yes.

Longer answer:  The OBi device is just acting as one of your Google Voice account's forwarding destinations.  In this case, it's the "Google Chat" destination.  Your Google Voice account will still operate exactly as before, with all the same features.  In addition to your cell phone, you can add up to five more forwarding phones on the GV Settings page, and you can decide which ones ring on inbound calls.  Outbound calls made from the phone attached to your OBi box will show your GV phone number as the caller ID.

Disclaimer:  I don't recommend GV as a business telephone service.  There is no direct customer support from Google, and when, not if, something occasionally goes wrong, any small cost savings you may get from using GV will be offset by loss of business or bad reviews, when your clients can't reach you.

ShotGal

Thanks for the explanation - it's about what I figured - I just couldn't test it myself.  FWIW one can also send the GV caller ID from the forwarded cell phone by dialing out from within the GV App...

As far as GV for business - it's few and far between that I use the number as much of what we do is online, but at the same time I decided to try the Obi, I also got a great deal on an Ooma Telo which will arrive today.  Assuming I like it, that will become a new primary business number.  Not totally free, but for approx. $3 a month (taxes and 911 fees) it's an affordable option and has many good reviews.  Meanwhile the Obi can become a second line.