News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi 110 no longer rings phone on incoming call on line port

Started by PCHudd, August 14, 2015, 04:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCHudd

I have an OBi 110 that is configured for Google Voice on SP1, nothing on SP2 and has a PSTN connection on the Line port with an analog phone attached on the Phone port.  I set it up this way so incoming calls to both the Google Voice and POTS numbers would ring the phone attached to the OBi, and outgoing calls (except for 911) would default to SP1.  This worked perfectly for several years, until about a month ago.

Now incoming calls on the POTS line won't ring the phone, but the Google Voice calls will.  Outbound calls still work on both SP1 and the Line Port.  Call Status reports no activity when I dial the POTS line from an external phone, and there is nothing reported in Call History on any inbound call to the POTS line.  There is nothing unusual with the config.  I even defaulted it so the InboundCallRoute sends everything to ph.

Any ideas what might have happened?  Could it be related to a firmware upgrade?  It was running 1.3.0 (Build 2824) when I noticed the problem.  I have since upgraded to Build 2872 and reset to factory defaults, but it hasn't fixed the issue.  I have Phone and Line Port Status voltages, etc. if that helps in trouble shooting.  I would appreciate any help anyone could offer.

Taoman

What happens when you bypass the OBi and have the PSTN line straight to your phone? Do incoming PSTN calls work normally then?

Who is your PSTN provider? What does the outside caller hear when calling on the POTS line? Several rings and then voicemail or does it go immediately to PSTN provider's voicemail?

Any chance you could have unknowingly dialed a star code that put your PSTN line in "do not disturb" mode or "send to voicemail" or something similar?

SteveInWA

Hmmph.  It's hard to say, based on your symptoms, what happened, but it wouldn't have been firmware-related.

Just to eliminate the obvious: are any other devices plugged into your POTS line?  If so, unplug them all, so that nothing is connected to your POTS service.  Now, plug in one known-working analog telephone and call your POTS number.  Does the phone ring?  If not...time to call the phone company.

If it does ring, then log onto the OBiTALK dashboard and completely delete your 110 off of your account.  Within a couple of minutes, you should see the LEDs on your 110 blink as it resets itself.  Now, unplug the Ethernet and power cords from the 110, and attach the POTS line to the LINE port, and a phone to the PHONE port.  Plug just the power cord back in (not the network cable), and use a paper clip to depress the reset button underneath the unit (look for the small round dimple with a hole in it), to completely factory-reset it.  In this condition, with no Ethernet connection and nothing configured, it should still pass through inbound POTS calls.  Try it and see.  If it fails, then your 110 is defective...its POTS interface might have sustained some sort of power surge.

PCHudd

Quote from: Taoman on August 14, 2015, 05:53:00 PM
What happens when you bypass the OBi and have the PSTN line straight to your phone? Do incoming PSTN calls work normally then?
Yes, incoming PSTN calls work normally (ring the phone) when bypassing the OBi.

Who is your PSTN provider?
AT&T

What does the outside caller hear when calling on the POTS line? Several rings and then voicemail or does it go immediately to PSTN provider's voicemail?
It rings indefinitely.  There's no voicemail setup through AT&T.

Any chance you could have unknowingly dialed a star code that put your PSTN line in "do not disturb" mode or "send to voicemail" or something similar?
Possibly, but doubtful.  It's at another location, so I will check for that the next time I'm there.  Thank you for your reply.

PCHudd

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 14, 2015, 05:55:26 PM
Just to eliminate the obvious: are any other devices plugged into your POTS line?  If so, unplug them all, so that nothing is connected to your POTS service.  Now, plug in one known-working analog telephone and call your POTS number.  Does the phone ring?  If not...time to call the phone company.
Nothing else is on that line.  As I replied above, the phone will ring if I bypass the OBi and plug the phone directly into the POTS line.

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 14, 2015, 05:55:26 PM
If it does ring, then log onto the OBiTALK dashboard and completely delete your 110 off of your account.  Within a couple of minutes, you should see the LEDs on your 110 blink as it resets itself.  Now, unplug the Ethernet and power cords from the 110, and attach the POTS line to the LINE port, and a phone to the PHONE port.  Plug just the power cord back in (not the network cable), and use a paper clip to depress the reset button underneath the unit (look for the small round dimple with a hole in it), to completely factory-reset it.  In this condition, with no Ethernet connection and nothing configured, it should still pass through inbound POTS calls.  Try it and see.  If it fails, then your 110 is defective...its POTS interface might have sustained some sort of power surge.
Thank you for that suggestion.  I will try it the next time I'm at that location.  I also have another OBi 110 I can use there to determine where the point of failure is.  Thanks for your reply.