News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

how to setup port forwarding

Started by kaniki, August 31, 2015, 01:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaniki

I am at a total loss here on how to set this up. Here is how I have my setup. Cable modem -> Obi202 -> 16 port switch -> computers. I, from time to time will download stuff from Utorrent, and when I do, I will let others upload off of me too. My problem is that I can not get an open port so that Utorrent can upload off of me. I can only download. and I can not figure out how to open it up so others can upload. Here is what I have done.

I have gone into the obi202 and under DHCP reservation, I have reserved 192.168.10.150 for my computer. I put in my computer name, enabled it though the checkmark box, etc. I have set the IP on my computer to a static IP of that too. I have, under the firewall and DMZ settings, set the firewall from default to enabled, VPN is enabled, and I set the DMZ to go enabled with the host ip ending in 150. Under port forwarding, I have set it to enabled for both protocols, with the port going from 64573 to an ending of 64574, and I need 64573 open. The IP that it is set to go to is 150 too. I left port to open as it said under the description that you only need it if the start and ending port are the same.

Even after all of this, i have tried rebooting, and even unplugging the device for 30 seconds to make sure everything was clear and fresh, and plugged it back in. But when I do a scan on utorrent, it still says that the port is closed. I had no problems before, when I had my phonepower VOIP box, but for some reason, I can not get that port to open on the Boi202 device. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get it open, or what I am doing wrong.

SteveInWA

Plug the 16-port switch into the cable modem, and then plug the OBi into the switch, not the other way around.  The built-in router in the OBi is too limited in function and performance; I don't recommend using it.  Just treat the OBi as one more thing plugged into your local network switch, along with your computer(s).

kaniki

I cant. It is a switch, not a router. The cable company only gives out one IP address, so plugging 5 devices into a switch that can only give 1 IP address is not going to work very well. If I had a DHCP server, or if it was a router, not a switch, then it would work fine, but alas, it is not, and do not have one. I had phone power before this, and I used their box in the same way, and had it that way for years, with no problems. so when I switched over to obi, I just replaced the Obi box with the phone power one. Everything worked fine with that one, but if I cant get this one to do it, I guess I will just not be able to do it. That is why I was asking though.. because I tried everything that I could think of and nothing worked, so I thought maybe there was something I was missing. Probably just a glitch in the programming of it.

SteveInWA

Hunh?  Just buy a router.

Cable modem --> typical consumer wireless router --> switch --> your gizmos.

drgeoff

Even with the 202's firewall enabled I wouldn't feel safe permanently exposing it and everything behind it to all the nasty people on the internet.  Do as SteveInWA says plus don't put anything in a DMZ.

lrosenman

Seriously, SteveInWA is 100% on the money here.

My setup:
Cable Modem -> Asus Rt-AC68U -> 16 Port Switch -> Obi. 

no DMZ at all.

Works great (2 GV accounts, Vitelity, Asterisk) and the RaspberryPi that does asterisk is sitting right next to the Obi.

kaniki

well, I took off the DMZ and put just about everything back to the way that it was, except the static IP. I dont really leave the computer on a lot, so the DMZ is not that big of a deal to me. It is a computer that i turn on and use, probably about once every week or two. When i do, I will be nice and turn the torrent program on to upload, but since i am not on that computer much, i dont worry about it too much. I dont really have much of any real personal info on it either. so that is why I was not too worried about it. But the simple fact is, Yes, you are correct that I should just use a router. But the reason I dont, is I have bought routers in the past that i have used that way, and after some time, they always seem to go bad. I have tried many brands too. and when it does go, then i have to go buy another one and have to deal with the thing messing up until I get the new one in. funny thing is, routers are the only thing I usually have problems with. My switch is about 8 or 10 years old, and still works.. My last VOIP box, I had for about 6 years, and still worked fine when I sent it back because of going over to the obi. But routers, a year.. maybe a tad more.. and those always seem to go bad. dont know why, but that is why i lost faith in using them like that. And when it goes down, it is not just one computer, but the whole house. I would say it is because of bad power, but the power is pretty steady, plus I have all that stuff hooked up to battery back-ups, or UPS's, and not really cheap ones either, so it is not a power issue. Like I said, i dont know why, but they routers are the things that always go on me.. so that is why I dont want to go that route, with a regular router in place of the obi box.

lrosenman

I've had this Asus going on 3 years without ANY issues at all.  FWIW.

IMO, you've had bad luck with the routers.  Have you looked at the higher end ones, such as the one I have?