News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Want to move one of two lines to OBi and keep the number

Started by Vorg, August 27, 2015, 04:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vorg

We have 2 lines with Cox and need to cut cost. I want to keep the primary line with cox because their internet goes down more often then phone.

We want to move just 1 of the lines to an OBi setup and keep the phone number. Any recomendations on which OBi device (there seems to be a number of them), who/how to use to keep the number, and any possible issues with moving just 1 number without the other also getting dropped or something?

This is for home use

OzarkEdge

I recommend an OBi202.  It supports Google Voice and can connect two phone extensions.  So, you'll have these options.

Then setup a PAYGo account with a VoIP provider, add some funds, get a temporary number/DID, and build/prove your solution.  When you have it working on your ISP/LAN to your satisfaction, ask that provider to port your number from COX.  Do not cancel anything at COX.  Integrate your ported number into your VoIP solution.  When you have it working, go live.  Discard the temp DID later.

I recommend VoIP.ms for a provider... feature rich, reliable, low cost, and good for learning.  CallCentric is another.  Anveo is another.  Google Voice can be good for free outbound failover, or more if you can live with it.

My notes document my OBi202 and VoIP.ms solution.  A good reference if you are actually trying to learn BYOD VoIP.  If you get this far, you'll probably port (or cancel) your second COX number.

Why is your COX Internet not so reliable?... maybe that can/should be improved, especially if it's on your side.  My COX Internet is very reliable.  What model modem are you using?

OE

Vorg

Cox internet does do fairly well, but when it goes down which is often late at night, midnight-1am, while the phone still works. I looked at Omma first, but the entry cost was too high. would take more then a year to pay for it.

Vorg

I now have an Obi202 setup and linked with google voice. Looking now at the porting part, I am reading that you can't port from a VoIP service. They are viewed as a landline. Aren't  VoIP.ms, CallCentric and Anveo all VoIP services?

Lavarock7

I to suggest Voip.Ms.

Create an account there and fund it with $25 (the minimum). If you don't keep them, you can get a refund of unused funds.

An Obi110 would allow you to have both numbers ring on the same phone, but perhaps you might like an Obi200 or Obi202. I like the 202 because it has 2 phone ports. If you ever decide to let two people make calls at the same time or port that second number in, it might be worth the extra cost.

Once you have the adapter and Voip account, with Voip.Ms a temporary telephone number to test with is perhaps $1.65 to get for the 1st month.

Do your testing and then, if things work out, port your number. If you have the service, you can forward the calls on that 2nd line to the temporary test number for your testing.

After the line ported to Voip.ms you just point it to the adapter and you are done.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

Taoman

Quote from: Vorg on November 07, 2015, 12:09:10 PM
I now have an Obi202 setup and linked with google voice. Looking now at the porting part, I am reading that you can't port from a VoIP service. They are viewed as a landline. Aren't  VoIP.ms, CallCentric and Anveo all VoIP services?

Yes, they are all VoIP carriers. However, Google Voice only allows porting in a number from a mobile carrier.

Here is Obihai's tutorial on the subject:

http://www.obihai.com/porttutorial

Vorg

Ok, I was confused by the first reply. I thought he was talking about using one of those VoIP's as a jump point to port to GV.

This second line is used to connect to a 1-way conference system a couple times a week usually for about 2 hours. Call ID blocking has to be off as the number has to be preregistered for the call to be excepted. The only time it is used for outgoing calls is when expecting an important call such as a doctor on the primary. The only incoming call it should get is my aunt calling my mom because she has a hard time remembering our primary number and the secondary was my grandmothers number for a long time. We don't really need 911 on it because we still have the primary with COX and a cell phone.