News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Choppy Calls ... Obi 202

Started by tempo150101, September 10, 2015, 10:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tempo150101

Problem: Choppy calls on my Obi 202 (Receiving End); Perfect sound on my end.

1. Router: Ancient LinkSys WRTU54G-TM; I was unsuccessful with tweaking the QoS settings.

2. Potential Solution: I bought a TP-Link TL-SG108 8-Port Gigabit Switch. It was only $14.99 so I thought I would try it out because it got great reviews. The specs say "Supports QoS (IEEE 802.1p) function; Plug and play, no configuration needed."

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SG108-1000Mbps-Desktop-Gigabit/dp/B00A121WN6

3. Setup: I connected the Modem directly to the switch since the router is old and the switch is faster. I then connected the Obihai Box and the wireless router to the switch. (MODEM ---> SWITCH ---> OBI 202 & router).

Question: Since this gizmo is plug and play, I don't think I am able to play with the QoS settings. Does this thing just figure things out automatically? Or do I also get a new wireless router, and play with the QoS settings there?

OzarkEdge

You need a router between your modem and your switch/LAN to route, assign IP addresses, firewall your LAN, provide WiFI, etc.  I suggest you take your LAN/switch down until you have a router installed.

Given you need a new router, buy one to get your network operable.  Then resume troubleshooting any issues.

ASUS AC routers are worth a look.

OE

drgeoff

You should do a simple test before assuming that QoS is the solution to your woe.

Power down every other ethernet or Wi-Fi connected device except the OBi202. Connect the 202 to your modem and reboot. Make some calls. If your callees still get choppy audio from you,  then QoS will never help.