News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Conneting Phonepower to my OBI202 and Google voice

Started by jpw94, September 11, 2015, 01:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpw94

I must admit I'm confused.

I have a business VOIP provider from which I would like to port my number.
My question is: should I create PhonePower service and port to them or port that number to my Google Voice account?

Which would give me the best options? I already have my home phone on GV and it works great but wondered if I needed to use a service like Phonepower for my business.

Just a little confused and would love any advice.

SteveInWA

Hi:

Well, you'll probably get a bunch of opinions in answer to your question.

Here's my perspective, as a long time "Top Contributor" on the Google Voice help forum:  Google Voice is great for individual/personal use.  There is no specific prohibition against using Google Voice for business purposes.  However, we strongly advise against it.  GV has no direct customer support, no guaranteed service level (it is not covered by the Google Apps service level agreement), and it does occasionally have difficult-to-diagnose problems.  When (not if) that happens, any small savings in calling costs you may have incurred will be quickly wiped out by loss of business or your business' reputation, when your customers can't reach you.

So:  use GV for business purposes if you wish, duly advised of risk.  Otherwise, there are plenty of good independent SIP VoIP providers from which to choose, including PhonePower.  You can easily port your number to them, or to some other provider of your choice, and add it as another SP configuration to your OBi.