News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi200 and ASUS RT-AC68W setup - no connection

Started by latech, September 16, 2015, 10:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

latech

Hi all,
I just got an obi200 and thought to give it a try. For the life of me, I can't get it to work with my asus router. I can't dial **9 222222222.
The obi power light is stable while the light on the middle is constantly blinking.
I port forwarding all the recommended ports, disabled DMZ, disabled router firewall. I spent hours googling the problem. I'm ready to send this little thing back - so frustrated. I'm wasting so much time (money) to try to set this up. Please help! TIA

azrobert

Dial ***1
The OBi200 should say its IP address
Key the IP address into a browser and hit Enter
The userid and password are both admin
You should get a status page
Under OBiTalk Service what is the Status
The Status should be "Normal (User Mode)"
Under Product Info what is the SoftwareVersion

latech

thanks for your reply.
Here is the status of my obi:
"Normal (User Mode) (7);ex-addr=74.70.151.118:10000(10000)"

hardware info:
"HardwareVersion   1.4
SoftwareVersion   3.0.1 (Build: 4492)"

drgeoff

Your OBi status looks OK.

What exactly do you mean by " I can't dial **9 222222222."? What happens when you press those keys on your phone?  Do you get dial tone when you take the phone off-hook?

latech

My phone goes to busy ringtone as soon as I dial 2 (after **9).

SteveInWA

When we see posts similar to yours, the root cause of the problem is often that the poster has gotten in over their head making customizations to their router and/or firewall.  A typical home wireless router such as yours, using only the default configuration, with no tweaks at all, will reliably connect with an OBi device that also has not been customized in any way.  There are absolutely no port forwarding or DMZ settings that need to be, nor should be, made, to use an OBi.

If you want to reduce your reported frustration level, then:

• Factory-reset your router.  Do not make any custom setting changes, other than to change the router's own password to one that is long and random, configure a WiFi password that is very long and random, and confirm that other devices on your network can obtain an IP address and reach the internet.
  • Using a paper clip, find the round, raised bump on the bottom of your OBi 200, and gently press and hold the recessed switch for at least 10 seconds while the power is on.  You should feel a slight click when pressing the switch. Wait for the LEDs to start blinking, then release the paper clip to factory reset the device.
  • Go to this URL to download firmware version 4822:  http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-0-1-4822.fw
  • Follow Robert's instruction above to find your OBi's IP address, and log in from your web browser.  The default user name and password are both "admin"
  • Go to the System Management section, Device update, enter the directory and file name of the firmware file you downloaded above, and click the Update button.  Give it a couple minutes, then log in again and confirm from the System Status page that it's now at firmware version 4822.

Your device should now be working.  If it was previously listed on your portal page, then delete and re-add it.

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInWA on September 17, 2015, 07:15:31 PM
In order to use it with the OBiTALK network (**9 xxxxxx) you also need to successfully add it to the OBiTALK portal by using the **5 method. 
That is not correct. The Quick Start Guide has the step of making a **9 222222222 call before the step of **5 xxxx registration on the portal.

drgeoff

Quote from: latech on September 17, 2015, 06:40:16 PM
My phone goes to busy ringtone as soon as I dial 2 (after **9).
Do you truly mean that dialling **92 gives an immediate tone? Despite the good advice from SteveInWA, there is no way that is caused by your router.

I have just now taken a newish (ie not messed up configuration), unregistered OBi110, powered it up without an ethernet cable plugged in and plugged in an ordinary wired phone that sends the DTMF tones immediately as each key is pressed.

It was not until I pressed the final '2' of **9 222222222 that I got the error tone. If you get it immediately after the first '2', you have a problem with your OBi or phone. A factory reset of the OBi should be your first action. If still getting tone immediately after **92, try another phone. Perhaps the DTMF generator has gone bad.

SteveInWA

Weelll, the lack of detailed troubleshooting in the original posts, combined with a bogus symptom description (the OBi will generate a SIT [samples:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_information_tones], not a busy signal, when there's no network connection), combined with a downlevel firmware version, and a frustrated user, all led me recommend starting completely from scratch.  Even if the OBi was working properly with no Ethernet cable plugged in (and it isn't), gawd knows what other problems would be caused by an improperly-configured router.

Short answer:  the OBi is FUBAR -- start over.