News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Anonymous Calling with GV?

Started by wickid, September 19, 2015, 11:04:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wickid

Hello,

Just got my Obi200 setup with GV last night.  I read some threads here mentioning ways to get *67 and *81 working, but was unclear if these settings work with Google Voice to block the caller ID of outbound calls.

I tried modifying both the star code section as well as OutboundCallRoutes but was not having much luck.  Can anyone confirm if blocking caller ID for outbound calls is possible with Google Voice, and if so can someone point me in a good direction to enabling the functionality via the Obi200?

azrobert

GV will not allow blocking CallerID.

I have not tried, but I think you can setup another Google account without a DID and use it for anonymous calls. Google will assign a fake CallerID.

SteveInWA

Quote from: azrobert on September 19, 2015, 12:05:49 PM
GV will not allow blocking CallerID.

I have not tried, but I think you can setup another Google account without a DID and use it for anonymous calls. Google will assign a fake CallerID.

What he said.   ;D

OBi devices are actually using the old Google Chat service, not Google Voice, for outbound calls.  Any Google/Gmail account (except for those located in certain restricted countries) can make outbound calls, without having an inbound GV telephone number assigned.  Chat will display a Google-owned generic caller ID with no name:  17607058888.

So:  if you already have another Gmail account that doesn't have a GV phone number, you can use that account.  If not, sign up for another Gmail account.  You'll need to follow the portion of my instructions, linked below, to at least get Chat configured on that account.  Then, using the OBiTALK portal, add that second account as, for example, SP2.  When you want to make a call that doesn't display your GV caller ID, you'd then press, for example, **2 before making the call, to use the other account.

Considering that most people won't answer calls that say "Anonymous" these days, it's a decent alternative.

See:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

wickid

Thank you both for the replies!

Steve, I followed your tutorial which was helpful and I was able to get the Google number to show as the called ID when using the **2 option.  Is their any way to make all outbound calls default to **2 without the need to actually dial it prior to dialing a phone number?

While on that topic, if it is possible, is their a way to issue a * command to disable the default setting should I need to allow my called ID to display accurately?

Thanks again for the tutorial and information.

SteveInWA

My pleasure; glad it helped.

To select which SPx is used by default for outbound calls, log into your OBiTALK portal page, click the gear icon to get to settings, click the SP2 selection, then check-mark the box next to "primary line for outgoing calls".  If you want to use the other line for outbound calls, then dial its SP number before dialing the phone number, like this:

Use SP1:  **1 14255551212

Use SP2 (if it isn't already the selected default):  **2 14255551212

wickid

Worked perfectly...thanks again for the help!