News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Problem with Alarm system

Started by Charles.L, January 19, 2014, 12:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles.L

Hello,

Currently I have a Obi100 adapter setup with VOIP.MS DID number as the first and only SIP service on the machine.
It become apparent to me that the alarm system is not working with the new voip setup (DSC alarm pad showing Number 4 error- unable to communicate)
I've gone through several suggestions online, but the problem presists:
1)Setting DTMF Method to Inband on my Obi, and on the voip.ms account setting page.
2)Setting only the G711u codec to be used on obi100, and on the account setting page.
3)Setting DTMFRxMode to Software on obi100.
4)Setting voip.ms to Premium mode on toll-free,and canada routing.

I'm currently out of options, and any help or suggestion will be much appreciated.

Thank you

MurrayB

Alarm systems are not recommended to use VOIP for communication. They typically can not communicate with the central station due to the way that the internet breaks up and reconstructs the data stream. The most reliable method is via PSTN or a cellular communicator such as a Telguard.

Both of those methods have monthly costs associated with them.

Good Luck!

AlanB

I had to switch the position of wires 1 & 2 with 3 & 4 on my alarm system to get it to work.  I found some details online somewhere.    Just be sure and take a photo of the initial wiring before you try this.

simpleAnswers

I agree with MurrayB.. Alarm systems use a PSTN for a very good reason.
Most alarm companies now go with wireless anyways, I know mine uses a wireless and it still cost half what I used to pay the big alarm company I had. It is connected to the PSTN but only as a fallback measure.
Remember regular .PSTN works when the power goes out but not VOIP.
The only time I needed the alarm was surprise surprise when the power went out. Food for thought...

ipse

For what is worth, I debated the same as I was giving up the landline that had monitoring tied into it.
The solution I picked is the Envisalink3 (www.eyez-on.com) which is an Internet module that plugs into your alarm system. They offer monitoring as well.
Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain

Tomba

Quote from: Charles.L on January 19, 2014, 12:09:07 AM...
2)Setting only the G711u codec to be used on obi100, and on the account setting page.
actually, we've solved our problems by setting inband mode and G711a on both PBX and ATA box, DSC alarm device is functioning normally now on SIP service.