News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to Prevent the GV Line From Ringing on the OBi202

Started by LTN1, October 02, 2015, 03:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTN1

I would really appreciate any guidance on how to prevent a GV line from ringing on the OBi202 while still being able to use that line to call out normally.

I have the GV account forward to CallCentric and I'm OK with the incoming call through CallCentric. At the same time, I like to be able to receive calls on Hangouts. That's why I have the Google chat checked. I know that if I uncheck Google chat, the GV line on the OBi200 won't ring but it would be nice if I can leave Google chat checked and disable the ringing on that GV line with the OBi200.

Any guidance would be appreciated--especially from AZRoberts and Steve.

SteveInWA

Hey LTN:

By default, if you have Google Chat check-marked, and GV configured on your OBi, you will be able to both make and receive calls.  IF you instead want to receive inbound calls via a Callcentric DID (inbound number) which you have also added to your GV list of forwarding phones, then remove the check mark next to the Google Chat entry.  You'll still be able to make outbound calls via OBi/XMPP/Chat, and inbound calls will ring via the forwarded CC DID number.

Hangouts works independently of Chat, and it does not know about nor care about the Chat forwarding entry on your GV settings page.  Instead, inbound call ringing via Hangouts is individually enabled or disabled by checking a box in the Hangouts apps for Android, iOS or desktop/laptop web browsers.  So:  un-check Chat and check it in the Hangouts apps, and you should end up with your desired solution.  Make sense?

LTN1

Thanks Steve...I didn't realize that Hangouts wasn't dependent on Google chat being checked. I'll try that. Glad you're around.

SteveInWA

My pleasure.  As an aside, one of the only reasons that Chat is still listed as a forwarding destination in GV settings is specifically to accommodate OBi customers.  Google has otherwise removed almost all support for Chat in its own services, since it has been replaced by Hangouts.