News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Accessing the call log remotely

Started by Milos, October 03, 2015, 07:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milos

Hi,

I wonder if there is a way to access the call log remotely since my Obi is in Europe (forwarding the calls automatically) and I am in the US.

Thanks

azrobert

You can access the OBi's call history by using the public IP address of the remote site and a port number of the OBi's Web Server. The problem is the remote router probably uses the same port 80 as the OBi and this won't work. You will need to change the Web Server Port number on the OBi to something like 800 and port forward 800 in the remote router to the OBi's IP address.

You can use OBi expert to change the port number
System Management -> Device Admin -> Port: 800

From a browser: http://xx.xx.xx.xx:800
Change xx.xx.xx.xx to the public IP address of the remote site

drgeoff

The OP also needs to configure a port forwarding on the router. Which may not be straightforward given the locations of him and the router.  :)

Milos

Thanks guys. It seems that I will have to wait until I go to Europe next year and do it over there. At least I know now how to do that.

Ostracus

Main thing I'd be worried about is security. One can with some routers set up a tunnel to make the LAN on the European side accessible. There is a "user login" but I don't know if it will allow access to call history.

drgeoff

The user login does not permit changes to many settings but it does give access to Call History.

However I don't see how that can improve security. AFAIK it is not possible to enable user login and disable admin login so it is only the admin password that keeps anyone out.

Milos

My friend connected a second Obi110 to the same phone line and the same LAN in my European apartment. I was planning to open a router port for that second OBI110 so that I can check Call Log on that Obi remotely. That way, even if somebody messes up that second OBI I would still be able to use my first OBI for making and receiving calls. The problem is that when I connected both Obi110 units to the same router, the call forwarding feature from LINE to SIP1 (Google Voice) on the first Obi stopped working.  After the second Obi110 was disconnected from LAN, the call forwarding started working again. I wonder why that happened and if there is a way to prevent that issue. I wonder if two OBIs (with default settings) on the same LAN are allowed, and if not, is there a way to change Obi's default setting in order to allow both Obi110 units on the same LAN.
Thanks,
Milos

drgeoff

Quote from: Milos on November 18, 2015, 06:25:12 PM
My friend connected a second Obi110 to the same phone line and the same LAN in my European apartment. I was planning to open a router port for that second OBI110 so that I can check Call Log on that Obi remotely. That way, even if somebody messes up that second OBI I would still be able to use my first OBI for making and receiving calls. The problem is that when I connected both Obi110 units to the same router, the call forwarding feature from LINE to SIP1 (Google Voice) on the first Obi stopped working.  After the second Obi110 was disconnected from LAN, the call forwarding started working again. I wonder why that happened and if there is a way to prevent that issue. I wonder if two OBIs (with default settings) on the same LAN are allowed, and if not, is there a way to change Obi's default setting in order to allow both Obi110 units on the same LAN.
Thanks,
Milos
That is puzzling. There should be no problem having two OBi110s on the same POTS line and same LAN. Provided they are using DHCP or have different static addresses. (Or "pseudo static" ones if the DHCP server has been set to do that.)

There could be an issue if both units are using the same GV account.

Milos

Thank drgeoff. I will investigate this further, now that you confirmed that two OBIs should be able to work in parallel.
Milos

Milos

I wonder if I would be able to get the caller ID of the PSTN call on the remote OBI in Europe by installing another OBI on my side and forwarding the calls from European OBI to my new OBI in the US. I wonder if the call log of my US OBI would show the caller ID of the PSTN call on the European OBI side. I read somewhere that the second OBI would show both the PSTN caller ID and the number of the sending OBI, but I am not sure if that's true.
Thanks,
Milos

ianobi

The OBiTALK network is "transparent" as far as CallerID and Cname is concerned. The PSTN CallerID calling into the remote OBi will show as Peer Number in the US OBi. Then it can be used for call routing purposes or simply to display on the attached phone.

QuoteI read somewhere that the second OBI would show both the PSTN caller ID and the number of the sending OBI, but I am not sure if that's true.

The second OBi will only show the PSTN CallerID received by the first OBi. It will not show the number of the sending OBi.

Lavarock7

If there is a PC or Mac or Linux box in that network, you could have TeamViewer loaded on it. Then from anywhere you can access the remote computer, go to a browser and access the Obi directly.

I am playing with a Remix Mini (a cheap android computer) that also can run TeamViewer.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

Milos

That's great news. Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help.
Milos

Milos

Hi Ian,

Based on your suggestions I wanted to fork the PSTN call on the remote OBI in Europe to both my cell phone in the US and to my OBI in US. That way I thought I could receive the European call on my cell phone, and at the same time I expected to see the European caller ID in the call history of my US OBI. My US OBI is only used to let me see the caller ID of the European PSTN callers.

So, I connected OBI here in US and I set the European OBI like this:

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> InboundCallRoute : {PP(ob200xxxxxx),SP1(11234567890)}
where 200xxxxxx is my US OBI number and 11234567890 is my US cell phone number.

Now, when somebody in Europe makes the PSTN call to the European OBI, I receive the call on my US cell phone (as I wanted), but this call is not recorded in the call history of my US OBI. I wonder what I am doing wrong.
Thanks again,
Milos

ianobi

I would expect your US OBi Call History to record the call as ringing, but not connected if answered by your US cell phone. I wonder what the European OBi Call History is showing?

Did you really want to make the calls from Europe direct to your US cell phone. You could use the OBiTALK network to route the call to the US for free, then connect it through your US OBi:

Use the European OBi to forward the call to the US OBi:
Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> InboundCallRoute :
{PP(ob200xxxxxx)}

Then use the US OBi to call its own phone and fork the call on to your US cell phone:
Voice Services > OBiTALK Service > InboundCallRoute:
{ph,sp1(11234567890)}
or {sp1(11234567890)} if you do not want the US OBi phone to ring.

This assumes that you have GV or a SIP provider configured on sp1 of the US OBi.

Milos

I really want to forward  the calls from Europe direct to my US cell phone, since I would like to talk to whoever calls my phone number in Europe. This setup works great for me, I have been using it for over four months now; the only problem is that I don't see the European caller ID and I am trying to do that without having to open a port on my European router (and login to the European OBI).

I thought that routing the European call through two OBIs could affect the call quality versus only one OBI bridge, but I could try it. Would I see the European caller ID in the US OBI call log?

If your proposed setup works, I wonder why my original setup does not work, since you did not see anything wrong with it, and the only difference is that I am just forking the call to OBI and SP1 instead of phone and SP1 (on the US OBI) that you proposed.
Thanks,

ianobi

QuoteI thought that routing the European call through two OBIs could affect the call quality versus only one OBI bridge, but I could try it.

Call quality should not be very different. Your present setup must involve a few "call hops" from your sp1 service on the European OBi to your US cell phone. However, using OBiTALK does introduce another point of possible failure.

QuoteWould I see the European caller ID in the US OBI call log?

Yes, you should see it. To be honest, I cannot see why it does not show with your present setup. With your present setup, you could try looking at the US OBi "Call Status" while your cell phone is still ringing. If call forking is taking place, then both the cell phone and the US OBi should ring at the same time. Of course, if there's a phone plugged into the US OBi, then that should ring at the same time as your US cell phone.

When you receive the call on your cell phone, does the cell phone show the CallerID? I ask because some European PSTN lines do not automatically include CallerID. If the European OBi is not receiving CallerID, then it will not be forwarding it to the US OBi. Even so a call with no CallerID should be recorded by the US OBi Call History.

Milos

Thanks Ian. Just wanted to make sure that I am not doing anything wrong. I will continue working on this.
Milos

ianobi

Also, in Europe CallerID uses different formats. Most use:

CallerIDDetectMethod: FSK(V.23)

Even so, you should still be seeing calls in the US OBi Call History with a blank Peer Number if CallerID is not present or has not been detected correctly.

Milos

I forgot to answer your question. When I receive the call on the cell phone, I see the GV phone number associated with the European OBI (GV is my SP1 provider).