News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Line port configurable as a 2nd Phone port

Started by jimates, February 20, 2011, 09:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimates

It would be nice to be able to configure the Line port as a second Phone port.

Since there can be 2 sip providers set up on the Obi110 it would be nice to have 2 fully funtional phone ports so that we could utilize both sips for simultaneous calls.

Most ATAs have 2 phone ports for this.

MichiganTelephone

Not possible due to hardware differences.  A LINE port does not provide the voltages necessary to run a phone, but will accept and react to voltage from another source.  A PHONE port provides voltage to the phones, but usually can't tolerate any voltage from another source (such as a PSTN line).

To use a bad analogy, it's like saying, "I'd like to be able to use my garage as a car!"  Although they have related functions, they are totally different from a physical standpoint.

What I'd like to see someday is Obihai come out with a device that has four (or even eight) phone ports, so you could run four-line PSTN phones or (if used with an Asterisk or FreeSWITCH server) have a separate extension in every room, etc.  If they're going to make a multi-PHONE-port device, I'd like to have more than just two.  :)
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

GnatGoSplat

I would have preferred 2 phone ports as well.  Before I bought the Obi110, it's the reason I originally bought the Linksys SPA2102 instead of the SPA3102.

will

A second line for a 2 line phone to be used with the box. Would like to use 2 lines 1 for business and one for residential. Great for home based businesses as that can separate calls between which line they are coming in on.

Everyone that wants a second line should post here to let the people at obihai know that this is something that people really want. They may be thinking that it isn't that popular.

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: will on March 20, 2011, 12:29:41 PMEveryone that wants a second line should post here to let the people at obihai know that this is something that people really want. They may be thinking that it isn't that popular.

If it wouldn't add more than a few bucks to the cost, I'd actually like to see a model that supports four phone ports at a minimum.  Phone ports on a device like this are like ports on a router - if you need more than one, then no matter how many you have, you always need that many +1.  ESPECIALLY when you can get free service from someplace.  You need one, your wife needs one, and then you have a kid... :)

And, a lot of small offices still have four line phone systems.  It's not just coincidence that there are four usable pairs in cat 3/5/6 wiring.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

GizmoChicken

Quote from: MichiganTelephone on March 20, 2011, 01:12:39 PM
Quote from: will on March 20, 2011, 12:29:41 PMEveryone that wants a second line should post here to let the people at obihai know that this is something that people really want. They may be thinking that it isn't that popular.

If it wouldn't add more than a few bucks to the cost, I'd actually like to see a model that supports four phone ports at a minimum.  Phone ports on a device like this are like ports on a router - if you need more than one, then no matter how many you have, you always need that many +1.  ESPECIALLY when you can get free service from someplace.  You need one, your wife needs one, and then you have a kid... :)

And, a lot of small offices still have four line phone systems.  It's not just coincidence that there are four usable pairs in cat 3/5/6 wiring.

I too would like to see a model with 4 FXS ports.  And I would hope that such a device would support at least 8 SP accounts.  Further, if at all possible, I would hope that a user would have the ability to allocate SP account to the FXS ports as flexibly as possible.  For example, on one OBi I might want to have 2 SP accounts on each of the 4 FXS ports.  But on another OBi, I might want to have 1 SP account each 3 FXS ports, with the remaining 5 SP accounts on the remaining (4th) FXS port.

ckleea

Interesting discussion but more FXS ports design is up to yjeir marketing strategy.  I believe it will be up to US$200 price range.

Not bad for home business

GizmoChicken

Quote from: ckleea on April 26, 2011, 03:20:50 PM
Interesting discussion but more FXS ports design is up to yjeir marketing strategy.  I believe it will be up to US$200 price range.

Not bad for home business

Yep, home/small business is what I have in mind.  But if priced right, large families would likely be interested too.

As for the price target, I'd pay at least in the low $100's, and maybe more depending on its functionality.

whitestar

I agree with having 2 phone ports. I personally can't think of a reason I would need a line port. Can a dial up modem connect to a line port? maybe then I might have some use for it.

Otherwise, I think 1 phone port for each service is more useful for family situations. I understand its probably not possible for the Obi110, but perhaps an Obi120 could be released in the future with 2 phone ports instead of 1 phone and 1 line.

QBZappy

whitestar
Hi, This might give you some ideas for using the line port   
Alternate uses for the Line Port for people who don't need it for POTS line
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=85.msg184#msg184
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

facaletz

Hi,Keep one box as simple as it is,plug and play for everyone,maybe a second port for a GSM sim card!
Don't think the so called ,,free American services" will last forever.
Regards from Down Under! ::)