News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 200 & obi 202 with 2 numbers

Started by rcstek, October 07, 2015, 09:12:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcstek

I have an obi 200 with GV and its works great. I just bought a obi 202 for 2 lines i will call the line 1 = 9583 and line 2 = 9389. the obi 200 has GV 9583 under my google account.  the obi 202 has nothing yet, now the question I have is should I have both numbers under 1 gv account or under 2 seperate accounts? and the same goes for the obi devives should they be under 1 account or 2?  I would like to keep 9583 at work (obi 200) and have both numbers ring at home on the obi 202 or if anyone has a better idea
Thanks
Rob

SteveInWA

Hi:

The OBi 2xx series support four independent service provider configurations, SP1--SP4.  Your post is unclear.  If I assume you meant that you have two different Google Voice accounts, each with its own Google Voice telephone number, then you can configure both of those accounts on both devices. 

For example:  SP1 = 9583 and SP2 = 9389

The OBi 200 has only one analog telephone jack (RJ-11), but you can have both SPs ring the same jack.  The OBi 202 has two separate telephone jacks, and you can have it ring two different telephones if you wish, or by plugging a two-line telephone into jack 1, using a 4-conductor RJ-14 cord, you can accomplish the same thing.

If you explain in more detail what you are trying to accomplish, we can offer more specific instructions if needed.

rcstek

Steve, I have an obi 200 with GV (9583 at work), I want to add a second number (9389) to an additional unit at home (obi202). should I have then each on a seperate GV account or the same account? and the same question about my obi account
Rob

SteveInWA

You only need one OBiTALK account, and you can add as many OBi hardware devices as you wish to it, via your online portal page.

So, you would have the work OBi and the home OBi both on the account.  Doing so doesn't affect how they behave with regard to Google Voice.  You need to set up Google Voice for each box, individually.

Like I said, each box can have up to four Google Voice accounts assigned to it.

If you want to configure the 9389 number, it's entirely up to you:  you can configure it only on the home OBi, or you can configure it on both the work and the home OBi.  You need to assign the 9389 number to a separate Google Voice account, and configure it on your OBi(s) as you wish.

Example:

Work OBi:

SP1 = Google Voice account with 9583

Home OBi:

SP1 = Google Voice account with 9389

or you can also provision SP2 on either or both of those boxes with both GV accounts, one on SP1 and the other on SP2.  The portal will let you pick which number to use as the default for outbound calls, and which number should cause the telephone to ring on inbound calls.