News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

text alerts obi202

Started by kris8997, October 09, 2015, 08:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kris8997

Is there a way to have my obi202 connected google voice phone ring when I get a text message?
   I enabled "X_SMSNotify" in settings under voice services and sp1 my GV account. The phone didnt ring when I got a message. Is this possible and or why didnt it work when i tried?

SteveInWA

This feature doesn't appear to work any more.  It may have been dependent on the old (obsolete) method OBi devices used to log directly into a user's Google account; that method was replaced by OAUTH 2.0 token authentication to perform specific, limited functions on the Google account.

There are a couple of other ways to get notified of texts:

• (Well, duh) use a forwarding cell phone number, which will receive the texts.
  • Have GV email you when you receive a text.

You don't even need to use a cell phone with working cellular service.  If you have an old smartphone or tablet, just install the Google Voice app on it, and it will receive text messages over WiFi, and/or receive them via Gmail.

kris8997

Thanks Steve. Thanks for the info and suggestions. It would be nice if this was a feature. I would do what you suggested but I have problems with getting audible notification with GV app or hangouts. A question for another forum. Thanks for your time. Obi I would love this as a working feature.

kris8997

I also go VoIP all the time with my android to save money. So no forwarding  #. I'm very poor.

SteveInWA

You don't need a forwarding phone number.  If you have an old Android device (smartphone or tablet), connected via WiFi, you can use the text messaging function on the Google Voice Android app.  Texts sent and/or received this way use WiFi data, not cellular plans.  Turn the volume up all the way on your Android device, and that should do it.