News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

block nuisance calls

Started by npr1, October 12, 2015, 11:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

npr1

I'm trying to configure my Obi110 to block nuisance calls which have the caller ID displayed as "INTERNATIONAL".

Line Port settings
InboundCallRoute:  {(00xx.|INTERNATIONAL|01600469009):},{ph}

Unfortunately I'm still getting these "INTERNATIONAL" calls as shown in the attached call history screen capture.
Can anyone please advise what I'm doing wrong.
Does the above method only work with caller ID "peer number" and not "peer name"?

ianobi

QuoteDoes the above method only work with caller ID "peer number" and not "peer name"

That's right. Only the CallerID (Peer Number) is used for screening. I see the "INTERNATIONAL" call has no CallerID. It is possible to block calls with no CallerID using "?" like so:

Line Port settings
InboundCallRoute:  {(00xx.|?|01600469009):},{ph}

This would block all calls with no CallerID.

npr1

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Unfortunately, very occasionally I get important calls from organisations which think it's clever to withhold their caller ID.
eg:
Peer Name   WITHHELD   
Peer Number   

Don't see that blocking calls with no peer number can work for me.

npr1

I've now found a method to screen anonymous calls with my Obi110 which I think will satisfy my requirements.
Hopefully the following method will stop nuisance ( automated ) calls yet give an option for real people to still get through.

1) I recorded the following message in Auto Attendants "User1 Prompt"
"Welcome to Obi call screening.
The number you are calling is not accepting anonymous calls.
Please speak your name, then dial 1 to be connected."

2) User2 Prompt was left blank.

3) I then configured Auto Attendant as show in the following screen capture.

Note:
I don't use the Obitalk service.

4) Configured the Line Port.
InboundCallRoute: {(?):AA},{(00xx.|01600469009):},{ph}

Anonymous calls don't ring the phone, they are sent to the Auto Attendant which plays the message in user1 prompt.
When the caller dials 1 the call is put through and the phone rings, if the caller dials any other number the "goodbye" message is played and the call is disconnected.
I've included "please speak your name" prompt purely for affect, the response is obviously not recorded.

Any comments / suggestions gratefully received.

ianobi

Looks like a very neat solution   :)

npr1

Yes it does appear to be working ok.
Being a new inexperienced use of the obi110 I'm just a little concerned about any potential security implications. Hopefully the AA digitmap restricting the caller to only being able to dialled numbers 1 or 0 together with setting the "Primary Line" to the unused and disabled Obitalk service is sufficient security, or perhaps it's belt and braces. ;)

npr1

Update: this method of call screening has been working fine for the past 2.5 years.

That was until I move UK phone line provider from BT to Talktalk, after a few days with the new provider I discovered anonymous calls were being silently blocked and not going to the AA call screening.

After investigating the problem turned out to be the following Obi110 setting:

Physical Interfaces > Line Port > AnonymousCallBlockEnable (was ticked) now not ticked

It looks like that setting has no affect with a BT line but does what it's name suggests with a Talktalk line.

Lavarock7

Quote from: npr1 on October 12, 2015, 12:21:00 PM
Thanks for the speedy reply.

Unfortunately, very occasionally I get important calls from organisations which think it's clever to withhold their caller ID.
eg:
Peer Name   WITHHELD   
Peer Number   

Don't see that blocking calls with no peer number can work for me.

If people would block these withheld calls, companies would stop doing that. These calls can't be 'important' if they want to hide who or where they are calling from.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

npr1

In the UK some of these calls can be very important. The National Health Service ( doctors surgeries and hospitals ) withhold caller ID.  If it wasn't for this I would block all number withheld calls.