News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

EHS Kit

Started by JoshuaEwing, October 15, 2015, 08:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshuaEwing

Hello,

I know there was a 'small' beta of these EHS Kits. I was wanting to know if anyone could give their opinion on how well it works, and if you could post an image of the device. i'm really just interested if in the mean time i can create a temporary solution until the kit is finally released. my hope is that it comes to market much faster than it took to actually release information on the support EHS in the first place.

SteveInWA

Yes, it works perfectly.

No, I am not going to respond to your private messages to help you reverse engineer it; I'm not going to help enable a DYI alternative that will end up being posted on forums, which might get built incorrectly, thus causing damage to the phone, and then end up with users creating fraudulent warranty claims.

Just buy the thing when it comes out -- it shouldn't be much longer.

JoshuaEwing

Obviously your assumptions are yours to have.. Now, had you expressed them to me directly, instead of responding to my post here, I would have had more respect for your response. My intention is not to take anything and sell/ post it for everyone and have them break their device(s). I am fully prepared to take the risk myself, hence why I asked the question originally.. My Post's intention is to see how many people actually got the chance to beta test this kit. By the looks of the forum, its all of one person, maybe 2?.. which is a great way to test... I may be wrong, but I'm simply trying to find out because the lack of communication out there..

Furthermore, why do I have to use a 3rd party cable to make this work... every other phone vendor has their own cable... but now to get a feature to work that was advertised initially when the phone was released, not only do I have to wait for the kit for ~3 months(per vague/borderline rude obi Support), but will have to purchase it, and the 3rd party cable. But again, I must purchase this cable, or otherwise I wasted the time and money when I originally purchased the phone..

My frustration is there is a huge lack of communication with the customers they have already mislead about a feature. Further compounded by the hijacking of a post, versus creating a new one to advertise a beta.. I cannot help but feel like I was part a bait and hook scheme, where they are only concerned about bringing people in the door, and then forgetting about them afterwards. I understand that their business models requires a certain amount of that, but at least 'try' not to alienate your current user base.. Understandably I know I have other choices, but feel like I had trusted them to come through on their promises and so far have had this carrot dangled in front of me for the last few months..

Alas, I will be waiting somewhat un-patiently for this kit to come to fruition.

WelshPaul

For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

Dancolwell

Quote from: JoshuaEwing on October 15, 2015, 11:56:15 AM
Obviously your assumptions are yours to have.. Now, had you expressed them to me directly, instead of responding to my post here, I would have had more respect for your response. My intention is not to take anything and sell/ post it for everyone and have them break their device(s). I am fully prepared to take the risk myself, hence why I asked the question originally.. My Post's intention is to see how many people actually got the chance to beta test this kit. By the looks of the forum, its all of one person, maybe 2?.. which is a great way to test... I may be wrong, but I'm simply trying to find out because the lack of communication out there..

Furthermore, why do I have to use a 3rd party cable to make this work... every other phone vendor has their own cable... but now to get a feature to work that was advertised initially when the phone was released, not only do I have to wait for the kit for ~3 months(per vague/borderline rude obi Support), but will have to purchase it, and the 3rd party cable. But again, I must purchase this cable, or otherwise I wasted the time and money when I originally purchased the phone..

My frustration is there is a huge lack of communication with the customers they have already mislead about a feature. Further compounded by the hijacking of a post, versus creating a new one to advertise a beta.. I cannot help but feel like I was part a bait and hook scheme, where they are only concerned about bringing people in the door, and then forgetting about them afterwards. I understand that their business models requires a certain amount of that, but at least 'try' not to alienate your current user base.. Understandably I know I have other choices, but feel like I had trusted them to come through on their promises and so far have had this carrot dangled in front of me for the last few months..

Alas, I will be waiting somewhat un-patiently for this kit to come to fruition.

The headset vendors created and released the phone specific cable (cisco, avaya, polycom). The obihai phones are EXTREMELY new to the market, relatively speaking. So it is not that ObiHai had not created the cables its plantronics and jabra that never created a solution for Obihai (which is understandable from the small market). What obihai did was create an "adapter" for it to work with a cable that was previously designed (by the headset vendor) to work with a specific voip phone vendor (that wasnt obihai).

So my point is you dont need a 3rd party cable, you need the cable specific for your headset. I totally understand where you are coming from though. After receiving this $40 adapter I feel I could have built my own with about $5 in material if they provided a spec sheet on how to build it.

XSideas

I just bought this kit from Amazon. It does not fit the plantronics APV-63 EHS cable. (RJ-11) and the OBIHAI EHS is a RJ-45 :(. They are supposed to connect together with a RJ-45 coupler. plantronics-savi-w740 is the Headset i am using. Phone is the OBi1062. Any Ideas?

Thanks

lapenr

I have the 1032 , trying to use with the Plantronics Savi 720 headset.  

I also purchased the Plantronics APS-11 EHS cable and bought the OBiEHS adapter as recommended.

The EHS does not work.   I can hear call indication in the headset , but pressing the ANSWER button on the headset does not take the phone off hook-  i have to manually press the headset /button to connect call to wireless headset

PreferredAudioDevice       Headset
PreferredHeadsetDevice   RJ9 Headset
EhsEnable                       Plantronics       (Generic does not work either)

HardwareVersion   1.3
SoftwareVersion   5.0.0 (Build: 3223.1311)

What am I missing ?  

SteveInWA

Very nice job documenting that!  Thanks for sharing.

palmer

Quote from: JQOBi1000user on May 01, 2021, 10:53:41 AM
I had a factory OBI-EHS cable, which I used with a 2182, I needed a second for another 2182 (Amazon had them for $49!).  Well I can't find it, they don't make it, and if I wanted it, I had to make it.  So here is a diagram that worked for me with an Poly OBI2181, Poly SAVI 740, a Poly APS-11, and this cable.  Take a RJ-45, I suggest a female keystone jack if you use the APS-11 since its a male RJ-45.  On the other side you need a RJ-9 and an RJ-11 male to insert into the AUX and headset jack of the OBI2182 (other OBI phones should work as well if they worked with the OBI-EHS).  I also suggest you get some shrink wrap.  Hopefully the picture works, but here is the information in TEXT format.  I doubt you need to do a T-568 wiring or any twists really, but since I used existing RJ-45 diagram, I used T-568B.

RJ-45
1-3 (RJ9)
2-2 (RJ9)
3--4 (RJ11)
4--3 (RJ11)
5--2 (RJ11)
6--1 (RJ11)
7-1 (RJ9)
8-4 (RJ9)

I've tried building this cable, as I can't find an official ObiEHS kit and want to connect my phone to my headset (a Poly 8220, via an APS-11).  This is my first time building RJ-9 or RJ-11 cables, but I think I've done that correctly as I've build a handful of Ethernet cables for my house.  I've used one of the left-over keystone jacks from wiring the house so I'm pretty sure I've got that side correct, I'm using T568B so my colors should just match.  The RJ-9 and RJ-11 cables look fine, but I don't really have a way to otherwise test them.  I've tried making two cables, neither works.

I've got my headset on setting A, which is the same as what's listed on Poly's phone compatibility guide for the 8128.  I've left the phone at mostly default settings, I've tried both EHS disabled and plantronics-style EHS (neither works).

As far as I can tell I'm just getting no connection between my headset and phone: I get no dial tone and no EHS functionality.  I'm not really sure how to go about debugging this.

SteveInWA

Quote from: palmer on July 14, 2021, 03:21:20 PM
I had a factory OBI-EHS cable, which I used with a 2182, I needed a second for another 2182 (Amazon had them for $49!).  Well I can't find it, they don't make it, and if I wanted it, I had to make it.  So here is a diagram that worked for me with an Poly OBI2181, Poly SAVI 740, a Poly APS-11, and this cable.  Take a RJ-45, I suggest a female keystone jack if you use the APS-11 since its a male RJ-45.  On the other side you need a RJ-9 and an RJ-11 male to insert into the AUX and headset jack of the OBI2182 (other OBI phones should work as well if they worked with the OBI-EHS).  I also suggest you get some shrink wrap.  Hopefully the picture works, but here is the information in TEXT format.  I doubt you need to do a T-568 wiring or any twists really, but since I used existing RJ-45 diagram, I used T-568B.

RJ-45
1-3 (RJ9)
2-2 (RJ9)
3--4 (RJ11)
4--3 (RJ11)
5--2 (RJ11)
6--1 (RJ11)
7-1 (RJ9)
8-4 (RJ9)

I've tried building this cable, as I can't find an official ObiEHS kit and want to connect my phone to my headset (a Poly 8220, via an APS-11).  This is my first time building RJ-9 or RJ-11 cables, but I think I've done that correctly as I've build a handful of Ethernet cables for my house.  I've used one of the left-over keystone jacks from wiring the house so I'm pretty sure I've got that side correct, I'm using T568B so my colors should just match.  The RJ-9 and RJ-11 cables look fine, but I don't really have a way to otherwise test them.  I've tried making two cables, neither works.

I've got my headset on setting A, which is the same as what's listed on Poly's phone compatibility guide for the 8128.  I've left the phone at mostly default settings, I've tried both EHS disabled and plantronics-style EHS (neither works).

As far as I can tell I'm just getting no connection between my headset and phone: I get no dial tone and no EHS functionality.  I'm not really sure how to go about debugging this.

Which model of IP phone are you attempting to use with the headset?  What's a "8128"?  Did you mean 2182?  This cable will only work with the legacy OBiTALK/Polycom 2000 series IP phones.

palmer

Quote from: SteveInWA on July 14, 2021, 03:44:16 PM
Quote from: palmer on July 14, 2021, 03:21:20 PM

RJ-45
1-3 (RJ9)
2-2 (RJ9)
3--4 (RJ11)
4--3 (RJ11)
5--2 (RJ11)
6--1 (RJ11)
7-1 (RJ9)
8-4 (RJ9)

Which model of IP phone are you attempting to use with the headset?  What's a "8128"?  Did you mean 2182?  This cable will only work with the legacy OBiTALK/Polycom 2000 series IP phones.

Oops, that was a typo -- I have an OBi2182.

Gardwynn

I found you need a 4.7kOhm resistor between pins 1 and 3 of the RJ-9, at least for the OBI 1062.

When going from Jabra headset (Jabra PR 9470 and GN and older GN 9350) you can use one standard RJ-11 to RJ-11 cable for the headset connection (headset "phone"  to phone "headset") and a custom RJ-45 to RJ-9 wired R-45 pins 3,4,5 to RJ-9 pins 3,2,1 respectively, again with the resistor between RJ-9 1 and 3 (or RJ-45 5 and 3), for the AUX to AUX connection.

bbs71364

Howdy, where can one purchase an OBiEHS adapter cable these days? all of the Amazon links are dead. Does Polycom now make a replacement?
Thanks!

SteveInWA

You'd have to make one yourself.  See the instructions above.

BruceHowells

Hm.  So, I've carefully checked and rechecked my work, testing with two different APS-11, and with and without the 4.7K resistor, and just can't get the cursed thing to work on a 2182.  EHS is set to Plantronics, but no joy.   Any experience with these cables since they've started stamping Polycom on the 2182's plastic?

vsc1062

Quote from: Gardwynn on November 04, 2021, 08:24:58 PM
When going from Jabra headset (Jabra PR 9470 and GN and older GN 9350) you can use one standard RJ-11 to RJ-11 cable for the headset connection (headset "phone"  to phone "headset") and a custom RJ-45 to RJ-9 wired R-45 pins 3,4,5 to RJ-9 pins 3,2,1 respectively, again with the resistor between RJ-9 1 and 3 (or RJ-45 5 and 3), for the AUX to AUX connection.

Perhaps I'm confused. I believe the headset connection is a RJ-9 to RJ-9, not RJ-11. The aux connection on the phone appears to be an RJ-11. Did you mean RJ-11 versus RJ-9 in your discussion?

Are you saying that with only three wires plus the resistor, one can make a direct connection between the 1062 and Jabra base without a Jabra cable (e.g. 14201-10)?

Edit:

Built up a RJ-45 to RJ-11 using the pinout (3,4,5 => 3, 2, 1) with 4.7K ohm resistor between the RJ-11's pins 1 and 3. Without using the Jabra cable, it doesn't work with all possible EHS settings on a 1062 phone.

ncarty97

How do you add a resistor between the RJ-11's pins 1 & 3?

palmer

I just tried adding a 4.7kOhm resistor between pins 1 and 3 on the RJ-9, I still get no headset connection.  I'm using an Obi2182 attached to Plantronics 8220 via an APS-11.