News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Number porting to GV - my experience

Started by chaiwan2000, June 16, 2011, 11:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimshaw

Many thanks to Chaiwan2000 for his very helpful guide to porting his telephone number to Google Voice. Unfortunately, I hit a roadblock and wasn't able to do the same. I set up my Obi100 and connected to an unused Google Voice account I've had for three years. But now I have a problem: How can I port my existing landline number to Google Voice without an unlocked cellphone? I have a spare LG420 cellphone from Tracfone, but apparently it's locked (from what I've read on the internet) and unlocking it would be tricky if not impossible (for me). So, does anyone know how I can switch my present landline number without buying another cellphone?

CoalMinerRetired

> How can I port my existing landline number to Google Voice without an unlocked cellphone?
There is no way to do it without an unlocked cell phone.  

> So, does anyone know how I can switch my present landline number without buying another cellphone?
This is a long thread, but the summary is Landline to Temporary Cell Phone number to GV. No work around for that.

Look through the thread for all the inexpensive pay-as-you-go cell phones people have used. You shouldn't be paying more than $25 for the phone (or SIM card only), because you only need if to work for 24 to 48 hours.

Rick

dircom

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on June 18, 2013, 05:59:39 AM
There is no way to do it without an unlocked cell phone.  

A more accurate way to explain: You don't need an unlocked phone IF
you have a Tmo phn and use a Tmo sim, you have an ATT phn and use an ATT sim, etc etc
the reason to have an unlocked phn is if you want to use an ATT sim in a Tmo phn and vice versa

If you have a friend with a spare flip phn for example that would loan it to you for a few days, then your only cost would be for the sim card which have ranged in price from free to $9.99 recently.

jimshaw

I've spent the better part of a week, since my Obi100 arrived, researching the move to free Google Voice phone service. The more I read, the more confused I become, probably because there's basic stuff I don't understand, basic information that I'm missing. Such as...
1) Unlocked cellphone. I have two LG Tracfones, only one of which is activated, but I've read/been told that these are locked and can't be unlocked easily. So, since I must have an unlocked phone to port my existing landline number to GV, I'm looking at the cheapest one I can find. The AT&T A157 ($15) has been suggested.

2) If I buy the AT&T cellphone, can I put a TMob SIM in it? Amazon offers a TMob SIM starter kit for about $7. Do I need to use a TMob SIM or would another make work?

3) I'm struggling with new Panasonic 6.0 DECT wireless phones that I'm finding as daunting as this Obi-GV stuff. We've never owned phones as "technical" as these and the Panasonic owner's manual is as murky at the Mississippi after a hard rain. (They replace/augment analog phones that date from the late 1980s. I'd actually like to continue to use a couple of those, but that's another issue.)

4) I have a GV number and for a few days the new phones would ring when I dialed it from my Tracfone. But an old analog phone plugged into a wall jack would not. Today the situation is reversed(!), probably because I pushed a wrong key on the new base unit ysdy while attempting (unsuccessfully) to link my cellphone to the base unit. But I guess that's not really a factor in the Obi-TMob-GV issue.

For now, what I would really appreciate is answers to Nos. 1 and 2.
Jim in Louisville

Rick

Jim:

Some people should not get an OBi.  It's somewhat technical to setup.  You may be one of them.

1) No question was asked.  You've been told what to buy.  Buy it.
2) It comes with a SIM.   You may, or may not, need to add minutes (it may come with $10 of minutes, you need maybe 3 minutes).
3) Wrong forum.
4) Wrong forum.

dadab

Seems like number porting from ooma to t-mobile prep-paid is complete. Calls both ways goes to t-mobile. GV says I can port my # but gives this message.

Number Porting is currently unavailable. Please check back again tomorrow.

Any one had this issue before where they have to wait longer after port to t-mobile is complete?

dadab

Seems like there is some break down on GV number porting process. Sigh. Had I known that before I finished my transfer. I hope Google bring that service back up ASAP.  :(

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!categories/voice/porting-a-number-to-google-voice

More worried:

http://nerdvittles.com/?p=5758

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: dadab on June 25, 2013, 10:38:21 AM
Seems like there is some break down on GV number porting process. Sigh. Had I known that before I finished my transfer. I hope Google bring that service back up ASAP.  :(

CORRECTED LINK: http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/voice/porting-a-number-to-google-voice/slk4rDhoLlA

More worried:

http://nerdvittles.com/?p=5758

In the **CORRECTED** GV Product Forum thread you linked to, note the entry about halfway down: "Links to some blogger's rant about Google Voice have nothing to do with this outage".

I agree, mostly because I don't want what he says to be true. And it does seem to be a one-off rant. And he makes it sound like the end of the world is right around the corner.

The absolute worst case that I can see happening is the free use of GV for your home or main phone number goes away, and you then port your number to a competing low cost VoIP provider.  Or in the worst of worst cases, you have to go out and get a new number.  No matter how it plays out it will be no where near the cost of a POTS landline with similar levels of services.

dadab

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on June 25, 2013, 01:25:33 PM

In the **CORRECTED** GV Product Forum thread you linked to, note the entry about halfway down: "Links to some blogger's rant about Google Voice have nothing to do with this outage".

I agree, mostly because I don't want what he says to be true. And it does seem to be a one-off rant. And he makes it sound like the end of the world is right around the corner.

The absolute worst case that I can see happening is the free use of GV for your home or main phone number goes away, and you then port your number to a competing low cost VoIP provider.  Or in the worst of worst cases, you have to go out and get a new number.  No matter how it plays out it will be no where near the cost of a POTS landline with similar levels of services.

I saw that post. I won't take that far. I know GV will be around for long time. My only concern is that  I can't port my number at this point - stuck in limbo. I need my phone # at my home ASAP.

CoalMinerRetired

Getting a new number is still turned on.  If I were you, I would 1) setup a new Gmail account, 2) create a GV account, and get a new number, in an area code and exchange close to where you are. 3) When porting is turned on again, port your number into the GV account, for 90 days you have use of the two numbers, after 90 days the free number you setup goes away.

dadab

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on June 25, 2013, 07:08:17 PM
Getting a new number is still turned on.  If I were you, I would 1) setup a new Gmail account, 2) create a GV account, and get a new number, in an area code and exchange close to where you are. 3) When porting is turned on again, port your number into the GV account, for 90 days you have use of the two numbers, after 90 days the free number you setup goes away.

That's exactly I have done so far - now the waiting game for GV porting process to come back on. Finally some one from Google has given an update that the service is down for maintenance for few hours,although it is down since last Friday.

dadab

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on June 26, 2013, 08:43:23 PM
Seems to be back online now.

This is the explanation I saw posted:https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/voice/making-and-receiving-calls/hZ2A-TM0VIc

Good. I have my request in. I did not see a place to enter pin. Not sure if I did it right,did I?

Edit: Weird. First time around there was no field to enter pin. Got email to enter pin again which I did.

dadab

Porting initiated after 2 digit verification. Will I still get any more calls on my t-mobile cell from GV?

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: dadab on June 27, 2013, 07:00:40 AM
Good. I have my request in. I did not see a place to enter pin. Not sure if I did it right,did I?

Edit: Weird. First time around there was no field to enter pin. Got email to enter pin again which I did.
If you read through the posts you'll note this is the normal behavior (and common reaction) when porting from T-Mobile.

dadab

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on June 27, 2013, 08:38:51 AM
Quote from: dadab on June 27, 2013, 07:00:40 AM

If you read through the posts you'll note this is the normal behavior (and common reaction) when porting from T-Mobile.

Thanks for your time. I did not see that from OP so I assumed it was pretty straight forward. Will I still get any more calls on my t-mobile from GV?

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: dadab on June 27, 2013, 09:41:18 AM
Will I still get any more calls on my t-mobile from GV?
That question doesn't quite make sense.

Once the port is complete your phone number with T-Mobile is cancelled and terminated. Cancelled and terminated means the number ceases to exist in any shape, manner or form with T-Mobile, so you can't possibly make or receive and calls on your T-Mobile phone.

You could make arrangements as mentioned here, to continue service with T-Mobile (after the port) with a new phone number. If you did this, and you setup the new T-Mobile phone number as a forwarding phone in your new GV account then GV calls would of course ring the T-Mobile number.

dadab

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on June 27, 2013, 06:27:47 PM

That question doesn't quite make sense.

Sorry,my question should have been that,do I still need to keep my t-mobile phone on for any reason after the 2 digit verification? Can I turn it off?

dadab

:)

Transfer complete in just under 23 hours.