News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Advice on Setting Up Obi "network"

Started by fishfarmer, October 24, 2015, 07:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishfarmer

Hello

I'm new to Obihai and I need some thoughts on best way to set up some Obi service.

I live in US and my brother lives in Brasil. If i would buy 2 Obi200s and configure them with GV or Voipo and add 2 Obi1022s phones could we talk in HD? Or would we each need one of the Obi5vs to talk HD?

There is no way of dialing direct to devices if we are not on the same network is there?

Any thoughts on a cheaper way to communicate in HD?

Thanks

ianobi

The minimum you need for wideband speech (aka "HD Speech) are two IP Phones that allow the use of a wideband CODEC such as G722, and an end to end transmission path that allows  use of that same CODEC throughout. You could use:

OBi1022 ----- sip2sip ------ OBi1022

sip2sip calls are free and support G722.

Of course, this is limited as it is just a point to point system. However you can set up other voip providers such as GV or Callcentric / voip.ms etc on your OBi1022. Then the OBi1022 decides which service to use depending on what digits you dial, or you can set up a speed dial to dial your brother that only uses sip2sip or other G722 voip provider.

The problem here is IP phones plug directly into the internet via your router. They do not connect to the normal house phone wiring. There are ways around this, but things can get complicated unless you are ok with the house phones being on a separate system to the IP phones.

fishfarmer

Thanks for the advice ianobi.

Fishfarmer

drgeoff

If you just want to call in HD between the two OBi10x2 phones,  you don't need the 202s or any other ATA. Nor do you need any other Service Provider beyond the free Obitalk one that is enabled by default.

ianobi

QuoteNor do you need any other Service Provider beyond the free Obitalk one that is enabled by default.

That's interesting as well as being correct! I was put off the OBiTALK solution by doing a quick trial calling **9222222222 with only CODEC G722 enabled in my OBi1032 IP Phone. The call was rejected "not acceptable here". However, calling through OBiTALK with two devices both with only G722 enabled does indeed work without problem.

OBiTALK is Obihai's proprietary voip, so it's difficult to analyse and see what's going on. I'm assuming that it works like SIP and on answer the speech path (RTP) between the two devices is routed direct by the shortest route avoiding the OBiTALK servers, so any CODEC acceptable to both devices will work.

SteveInWA

Just a few additional points of information:

• Not only do you not need OBi 20x ATA devices for wideband audio calls, they wouldn't work anyhow, since they don't support any wideband audio CODECs at this time.  It would be mostly pointless if they did, since most telephones that would be available to plug into an ATA don't have wideband audio (HD Voice) hardware components.
  • In addition to using OBiTALK as the service provider, Callcentric also supports WB.  Google Voice does not, as it is a PSTN-focused service, and the PSTN can't support WB.  Google Hangouts does support WB, between WB-capable endpoint clients (e.g. Hangouts apps), but, of course, not via PSTN calls.

fishfarmer

Thanks for all the input. If I am understanding y'all correctly I wouldn't need to be signed up with Voipo as long as the calls were between the 2 voip phones or any other Voip phones is that correct?  

One other question. Would it be possible to have a 202 with Voipo and then have it configured to let it call directly between the the 2 Voip phones but then make calls to other landlines when we needed? Or will the G.722 mess everything up I know Voipo doesn't support G.722 and the 202 doesn't either. But is there a way to bypass it when calling between Voip phones?

Thanks

drgeoff

The Obitalk service uses a proprietary protocol which is only present in OBi IP phones, OBi ATAs and OBion softphones. If you want to communicate with other non-OBi end-points (VoIP or POTS) you need another (additional) Service Provider or you need to invoke direct SIP calling. The latter is not really for beginners and can not reach POTS end-points.

Regarding your second question,  I think you don't fully understand what VoIP phones and ATAs do. Other than providing the ability to have wired or cordless extensions around the house an OBi10x2 has virtually all the capability and more of a 202. Why do you think you need a 10x2 and a 202 in the same property?

A 1032 can have Obitalk plus 6 additional VoIP accounts configured on it.

fishfarmer

Thanks for that clarification of what a 1032 is capable of. You are right I didn't understand.

To be clear what we want is the ability to talk in HD between the US and Brasil.

I also want the ability to call other US numbers hence Voipo but didn't want to have to purchase a a Brasil calling plan from them if possible being that I would only be calling one number in Brasil.

From what I understand the 1032 could have Obitalk plus Voipo configured on it so it would be the only device needed at each end.

Thanks for all the input.

SteveInWA

Quote from: fishfarmer on October 28, 2015, 04:35:13 AM

From what I understand the 1032 could have Obitalk plus Voipo configured on it so it would be the only device needed at each end.

That's correct.  Assume that you add Voipo (or Callcentric, voip.ms, Phonepower, or any other service provider) to SP1 on your OBi phone.  When you, or the person in Brazil want to talk to each other, dial **9 and the other phone's nine-digit OBi number.  When you want to make a call to any US telephone number, dial that number without the **9 prefix.