News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Local (PSTN) Line Delay Connect/Ring

Started by bsdaiwa, October 30, 2015, 07:10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsdaiwa

I am not sure how to explain this but here goes. I have an OBi200 with a OBiLine attached. The 200 is setup with all four (4) SP's assigned, one to CallCentric and the other three with GV. The default is set to the PSTN line therefore I have to dial **X (X being the line number I want) in order to use any of the other services.

Here's my problem, when I dial a number using the default PSTN line it takes 18 seconds of dead air before I hear a ring tone but if I use any of the other services it takes 1 second before I hear a ring tone. If I disconnect the PSTN line from the OBi and connect it directly to my phone the local line then only takes 1 second before I hear the ring tone. Based on that test I am assuming that the OBi is in some way creating the delay. Can anyone tell me how I can reduce or eliminate this delay on the local line?

Thanks

ianobi

This is almost certainly a problem with matching the digits you are dialling with the OBiLINE digitmap. I don't use OBiLINE, but I believe that its default digitmap is:

(xxxxxxxS4|1xxxxxxxxxx|xx.)

This is very basic! It matches seven digit numbers and eleven digit numbers that starts with "1". Any other number has to be matched by "xx." This rule waits for ten seconds after the last digit has been dialled just to be sure that it is the last digit. Then add on time to seize the line, send out DTMF tones, connection time at far end etc and you soon get to your 18 seconds.

If you detail the number formats that you normally dial using your PSTN line, then I'll have a go at producing a better digitmap that suits your needs.

bsdaiwa

Quote from: ianobi on October 31, 2015, 03:33:32 AM
This is almost certainly a problem with matching the digits you are dialling with the OBiLINE digitmap. I don't use OBiLINE,...........

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I have a home in Brazil and this is for my OBi located there, where I am at the moment. I hope the following explains the dialing method here if not let me know what additional information you may need.

Calling another country when you are within Brazil
00xx   xx=providers code i.e. 0014=Brazil Telecom, 0015=Telefonica, etc. followed by the Country Code, Area or City Code, then the local number.

Calling another city from my phone
0xxCCyyyyyyyy   xx=providers code, CC=city code (two didgits) yyyyyyyyy=local number 8 didgits for landline 9 for mobile.

Calling a local number
Landline=yyyyyyyy
Mobile=yyyyyyyyy

Taoman

As mentioned, this is almost certainly a Digitmap problem which ianobi can help you with.

What happens when the very last digit you dial (after the number) when making a call is "#" ?
So instead of dialing 0xxCCyyyyyyyy, you dial 0xxCCyyyyyyyy#

Does that decrease the amount of "dead air" you hear when making a call out your PSTN line?

bsdaiwa

Quote from: Taoman on October 31, 2015, 07:05:18 AM
As mentioned, this is almost certainly a Digitmap problem which ianobi can help you with.

What happens when the very last digit you dial (after the number) when making a call is "#" ?
So instead of dialing 0xxCCyyyyyyyy, you dial 0xxCCyyyyyyyy#

Does that decrease the amount of "dead air" you hear when making a call out your PSTN line?

Yes, adding a # after the local number does decrease the "dead air" time to what seems like normal.

Taoman

Quote from: bsdaiwa on October 31, 2015, 07:18:47 AM

Yes, adding a # after the local number does decrease the "dead air" time to what seems like normal.

This proves it is a DigitMap issue. As ianobi stated, your current digit map waits 10 seconds to make sure you have dialed your last digit. By dialing # as your last digit the number is immediately routed (based on your DigitMap) and there is no 10-second waiting period.

Ianobi should be along to help you fine tune your Digitmap. I could make an attempt but I only know enough to be dangerous.  ;D

bsdaiwa

Quote from: Taoman on October 31, 2015, 07:34:14 AM
Quote from: bsdaiwa on October 31, 2015, 07:18:47 AM

This proves it is a DigitMap issue. As ianobi stated, your current digit map waits 10 seconds to make sure you have dialed your last digit. By dialing # as your last digit the number is immediately routed (based on your DigitMap) and there is no 10-second waiting period.

Ianobi should be along to help you fine tune your Digitmap. I could make an attempt but I only know enough to be dangerous.  ;D

You know enough to confirm the problem and I thank you, will wait for Ianobi. ;D

ianobi

Brazil seems to have an unusual numbering format! Luckily, we like a challenge here   :)

The most simple digitmap I can come up with is:

Physical Interfaces > LINE Port > DigitMap:
([2-5]xxxxxxx|[6-9]xxxxxxxx?|0[1-9]xxxxxxxxxxxx?|00xx.S3|xx.S3)

In order, this matches:
Eight digit numbers with first digit 2 through 5.
Eight or nine digit numbers with first digit 6 through 9.
Thirteen or fourteen digit numbers with first digit 0 and second digit 1 through 9.
Numbers of any length starting with 00, with delay reduced to three seconds.
All other numbers with delay reduced to three seconds.

There are no short codes (emergency numbers etc ?) included in the digitmap, but they will be matched by "xx.S3". Normally, I would prefer to route emergency numbers through the Phone Port OutboundCallRoute. This may already be the case or you may be user a voip provider for this rather than PSTN.

OBi Line Ports assume the worst case scenario when it comes to your PSTN line. A long line may need long DTMF tones when dialling. If your PSTN line is ok, then you could try reducing these settings from the default 200 to something like:

Line Interfaces > LINE Port1 > LINE Port > DialDigitOnTime: 80
Line Interfaces > LINE Port 1> LINE Port > DialDigitOffTime: 80

PSTN line dialling will never be as fast as voip, but the above should achieve something like "normal" delays.

If there are a few numbers that you dial over PSTN a lot, then you might consider configuring them as speed dials using trunk format:
li(01234567890123)
Using trunk format avoids digit maps and all call processing and simply sends the call direct to line – you still have to wait for all the DTMF tones to be sent.

bsdaiwa

Quote from: ianobi on October 31, 2015, 09:10:25 AM
Brazil seems to have an unusual numbering format! Luckily, we like a challenge here   :)

Problem solved, thank you very much. That has been driving me crazy for some time.

Thanks again.