News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi202- delayed telephone line disconnect from Answering Machine

Started by bhsinforum, October 29, 2015, 06:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhsinforum

My OBi202 works perfectly except it fails to disconnect the telephone line from the answering machine for several minutes after the answering machine finished recording a call. What do I have to change to force the OBi202 to disconnect the telephone line from the answering machine when the caller disconnects from the line and the recording of the call is finished. Any suggestions to fix this problem?
I am using Google Voice as my VoIP provider and Comcast cable as ISP provider. My router is a Linksys WRT1900AC.

Thank you for any suggestions!

SteveInWA

That doesn't make sense.  Google Voice has its own "answering machine":  voicemail.  Don't use it with an answering machine.

bhsinforum

Thank you, Steve. The reason I use the answering system associated with my OBi202 connected house telephone is twofold:1) I don't use cell phone forwarding of calls made to my Google voice number and 2) the only way I would know that I have a voice message waiting on Google voice VM would be via email from Google voice.

Here is the background: I am using my house telephone connected to the OBi202 as my primary phone (like a landline phone). I have noticed that if I use cell phone forwarding of calls made to my Google voice number and if the cell phone is for any reason off line, then any calls to my Google number are immediately routed to the Google  voice VM system and the regular house phone connected to the Obi202 does not ring. That is a problem. However, if I don't forward to my cell, a phone call made to my Google voice number will be channeled via the OBi202 to my house telephone, and if I do not answer, my answering machine starts recording. The advantage is that a blinking red light on my house telephone lets me know I have a voice mail waiting on my house telephone. That brings me back to my original question: how do I limit the open line time on the OBi202 after a call finished recording. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks, bhs     

SteveInWA

I don't know why your answering machine isn't terminating the calls, but the service simply isn't designed to work with an answering machine.

Given your usage scenario, you'd be better off with another service provider, like Callcentric, voip.ms or Phonepower, for example, that do support the voicemail waiting indicators (blinking light and stutter tone).