News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

IP Phone Limit?

Started by kevin7083, November 12, 2015, 09:20:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin7083

I have a new OBi508vs, but have no experience with Obi.  For my site I have a large number of legacy connected IP phones that only get very light use, so the amount of network traffic on the Obi device will be light.  Is there a limit to the number of IP phones I can install on the Obi LAN side?

drgeoff

The 508 is intended to be used with conventional analogue (POTS) type phones.

How exactly are you envisaging using IP phones and a 508 such that any limit on the number of the former would be an issue?

kevin7083

My plan is to follow something like what's described in the Obi Support Document "Configuring an Obi Voice Service Bridge to connect a legacy IP Phone"

http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBi-VoIP-Device-Attach-Legacy-IP-Phone-Workbook-v1-0.pdf

drgeoff

I have no hands-on experience with OBi50x devices,  so anything I write about them is based solely on reading OBi documentation. I think that most of the frequent posters here are in the same position. It would be beneficial if anyone who can post with more authority on this topic would do so.

My understanding is that only the OBi202 is able to be configured as a SIP server for IP phones to register to. I have looked at the 508 Admin Guide and do not find the X_Proxy option which should be set to 'yes' as per page 4 of the workbook. It is present in a 202. As such,  how much of the functionality described in the workbook can be obtained? Have you tried it?