News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110 with 2 GV numbers

Started by LeeRed, November 13, 2015, 12:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeRed

Hello,

I am trying to setup an Obi110 with 2 GV numbers. While I've got the SP1 to work ( can receive and make calls) , I am having some issues with SP2. I can receive calls but can't dial out/don't know how to get to dialing tone .... I am using a 4 line desk phone  connected to the PHONE port of the OBI110.

1-I understand I have to dial a service code when dialing out from SP2 ( SP1 = primary line) but couldn't figure out how to use the service code.

2-How do I change the ring tone on SP2?

3- Is it possible ( maybe by using a line splitter) to use a different phone ( device) for GV2? To be honest, I'd prefer this setup ( having 1 phone/line), if possible.

Any help is greatly appreciated! If you happen to have a link to  tutorials that will answer these questions it would be great ! Thanks in advance!

Lee

SteveInWA

Quote from: LeeRed on November 13, 2015, 12:12:31 PM
Hello,

I am trying to setup an Obi110 with 2 GV numbers. While I've got the SP1 to work ( can receive and make calls) , I am having some issues with SP2. I can receive calls but can't dial out/don't know how to get to dialing tone .... I am using a 4 line desk phone  connected to the PHONE port of the OBI110.

It's unclear how, exactly, you tried to make the call over SP2.  The OBi 110 only has one analog telephone port for VoIP, and that RJ-11 modular phone jack only connects its center two pins (red and green) to Line 1 on your 4-line telephone (or, if you plugged it into a different RJ-11 jack on your phone, then it would work only on that line).

1-I understand I have to dial a service code when dialing out from SP2 ( SP1 = primary line) but couldn't figure out how to use the service code.

To place an outbound call on SP2, prefix the phone number with **2.  For example, to call 213-555-1212 using SP2, then key in **22135551212

Inbound calls made to either of the two Google Voice accounts, as configured on SP1 or SP2, will both ring on whichever single line you plugged in on your phone (likely Line 1).

2-How do I change the ring tone on SP2?

The advanced, or "Expert" configuration mode allows you to tweak all sorts of details like this.  From the OBiTALK portal page, you would click through several redundant pages to get into Expert mode.  Then, click on Voice Service, SP2 Service, and confirm that "X_RingProfile" is set to "B".

Now, if it still doesn't ring as you wish, you can click on "Ring Settings", then "Ring Profile B", scroll all the way down to the Ring Patterns, and fiddle with the choices to find one you like.

3- Is it possible ( maybe by using a line splitter) to use a different phone ( device) for GV2? To be honest, I'd prefer this setup ( having 1 phone/line), if possible.

No, not with the OBi 110, which only supports one phone line interface (one phone jack on the device).  The other phone jack on the device is only used to plug in some other, external telephone line, like a legacy Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS) line, or a line from another telephone adapter.

If you would like to have two different physical phone interfaces, you would need to either buy another OBi 110, 100, or 200, or replace the 110 with a 202, which is the only model that has two phone ports.

Any help is greatly appreciated! If you happen to have a link to  tutorials that will answer these questions it would be great ! Thanks in advance!

Thanks for asking about tutorials.  I don't think there is one specific tutorial that would have addressed these questions, but here is the overall tutorial section:  http://www.obihai.com/tutorials-tips

LeeRed

Thanks for your quick  and detailed reply! Unfortunately, being new to Obi and phone systems in general,  I need more clarification. Based on your answer it looks like Obi110 can "handle" 2 phone numbers but will use 1 line ( 1 pair of wires even though the Phone port has 2 pairs of contacts only 1 is functional) to do this: inbound calls to either one of the numbers will ring on the single line ( line1) and outbound calls will be handled identically ( through the single line), through the service codes. This would explain why I couldn't hear dialing tone on the phone Line2.

Please confirm I got this right, or correct me.

Thanks in advance,
LEE

drgeoff

You have not fully comprehended SteveInWA's explanation.

There is no correspondence between SP1, SP2 on the OBi110 and Line1, Line2 on your phone. The 110 has no support for multiline phones. Its internals contain only one analogue phone interface circuit and the socket is wired for a single pair of phone wires. All calls in and out whether by SP1 or SP2 or Obitalk or the POTS line take place through that one phone circuit.

With default settings all incoming calls by whatever route are directed to the phone socket.

With default settings outgoing calls can be 'steered' to a desired route (service provider) by prefixing the number with **n where n takes the following values:

**1 to call via SP1
**2 to call via SP2
**8 to call via LINE (POTS)
**9 to call via the Obitalk network.

Calls dialled without a **n prefix will use the PrimaryLine. The PrimaryLine can be configured to any outgoing method. The default on an OBi110 is LINE but it is likely that your configuration has set it to SP1 which is one of your GV numbers. So dialling  an 'ordinary'  number will use that.  To use your other GV number for an outgoing call you should employ the **2 prefix.

If there are certain numbers that you always want to dial over SP2, the OBi can be configured to recognise them and send them via SP2 without requiring you to dial the **2 prefix. But let's not try to run before you can walk.

SteveInWA

Quote from: LeeRed on November 14, 2015, 05:10:32 PM
Thanks for your quick  and detailed reply! Unfortunately, being new to Obi and phone systems in general,  I need more clarification. Based on your answer it looks like Obi110 can "handle" 2 phone numbers but will use 1 line ( 1 pair of wires even though the Phone port has 2 pairs of contacts only 1 is functional) to do this: inbound calls to either one of the numbers will ring on the single line ( line1) and outbound calls will be handled identically ( through the single line), through the service codes. This would explain why I couldn't hear dialing tone on the phone Line2.

Please confirm I got this right, or correct me.

Thanks in advance,
LEE

Yes, that's correct.  I don't know why Obihai used four-conductor female RJ-14 jacks, instead of two-conductor, RJ-11 jacks, but as you said, only the center two pins (red and green) are connected; the other two are just wasting gold plating.

LeeRed

Thank you both for taking the time to answer my questions. I understand now! Ordered another device already ... ended up ordering  an Obi202  ... new questions to be posted soon  ;D

Best regards!

Lee

SteveInWA

Lee, enjoy the added features of your 202, a wise purchase!

Just anticipating the follow-on questions:

The 202 has two modular telephone jacks.  One of the jacks is electrically wired as RJ-14, meaning that Line 1 is on the center two pins, and Line 2 is on the outer two pins.  This allows people who have a typical two-line telephone to use one four-conductor/four-pin modular telephone cord to connect both lines with one cord.  The other jack on the 202 is only wired as RJ-11 (two pins), and it has Line 2 on its center two pins.  This jack would be used with two, two-conductor/two-pin cords; one cord plugged into Line 1 one each end, and one cord plugged into Line 2 on each end (OBi and telephone).  It's your choice how you do it, and it also depends on the type of female jacks present on your telephone.

The OBiTALK web portal page for the 202 model has an additional section that will allow you to tell the firmware which Service Provider should send inbound calls to which of the two physical phone line ports on the OBi.  It also allows you to direct outbound calls to either Service Provider.  A picture makes this clearer; I attached a screenshot of my 202's  phone port configuration.

LeeRed

Steve,

Thanks for the answers. I will be using both lines with GV. If initially I thought I will use 1 phone for both lines , I think having a phone per line will be ....less confusing for everyone. I hope I will have some time to peek at the tutorials before the new toy arrives.

Thanks again!

LeeRed

Steve,

Obi202 arrived today ( earlier than expected) . It is configured and working as expected with 2 phones ( 1 phone / line). Thank you again!

Do you happen to have a link/tutorial for porting a number to GV. I have a Magic Jack number I'd like to port to GV... I remember reading something about this 1-2 years ago...something like port to T-mobile first ( get a line with re -loadable minutes) then from T-Mo to GV....

Thanks in advance!

Lee

SteveInWA

The porting tutorial is linked on the overall tutorial page I referenced earlier.

http://www.obihai.com/porttutorial

I'd rather pound nails in my head than deal with magicJack.  Good luck trying to port out their number.  Let us know how that goes.