News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

ring tone in answering machine after message

Started by Richard701, November 19, 2015, 01:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard701

Hello,
Our family has been using OBi100 for about a year now.  I am only posting because my wife wanted me to fix the annoying ring tone she finds in the answering machine after every message.  So we have a Panasonic phone that doubles as an answering machine connected to OBi100.  The machine will pick up after 4 rings.  The caller will leave a message.  And after the caller hangs up, the machine will continue recording about 3 seconds of ringtone before cutting off.  What do you think the problem lies?  I think it has something to do with the OBi Expert Configuration, but I don't know where.  Please help.
Thanks.

SteveInWA

Hi:

We'd need some additional details to fully understand what's going on.  

Which service provider are you using -- Google Voice, or a SIP provider like Phonepower, Anveo, Callcentric, voip.ms?

If it's Google Voice, keep in mind that GV has its own VM system, which cannot be disabled, and you may be running into contention with GV trying to handle the call.

What do you mean, exactly, by "ring tone"?  Do you mean the sound you'd hear when placing a call and hearing ringback tone while waiting for the other party to answer?  Listen to the sample file attached.  Is it that, or some other sound?

Here is a complete SWAG:

Log into the OBiTALK portal, click on your OBi 100 device, and get into the Expert mode menu. Go to Physical Interfaces --> Phone.  Scroll down to find the Timers section.  Uncheck the OBiTALK Settings box and the Device Default box next to CPCDelayTime, and change it from the default 2000 milliseconds to 1000.  Click the button at the bottom of the page to submit the change, and give the OBi a minute to reboot.  See if that changes the behavior on the answering machine.  If it still makes the sound, but it's shorter, then try changing the value to 500, submit, test again, and see what happens.

Richard701

Hi Steve,
Thanks for replying.  I am using Anveo.  And "ring tone" is exactly as you defined it.  Actually, I just checked my previous messages, and it's not quite a ring tone like the audio file that you referenced, but rather a dial tone when you first pick up the phone.

I tried your swag, and it worked for my machine with these settings:
CPCDelayTime=500ms
CPCDuration=1000ms

Then I reduced CPCDuration to the 500ms default, and it still worked.  So seems like CPCDelayTime is the knob to play with, like you suggested.

SteveInWA

Great!

So, what is happening is that the call is ending, resulting in a dial tone being heard (in other words, ready to make a new call), but the answering machine is "old skool" and it's waiting for the classic telephone company "Calling Party Control" signal to know that the call has hung up.  The OBi is delaying generating CPC based on the delay value.  I wouldn't mess with the duration value; shortening the delay before sending CPC to the answering machine should be sufficient.

Richard701

Okay, wife just complained to me that my message that I left from my work's soft phone had the annoying dial tone at the end again.  My previous testing was done using her cell phone.  So I further reduced CPCDelayTime from 500ms to 200ms, and the dial tone finally went away.  Just documenting for the benefit of others.