News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi100 - flashes red/green - won't update or reset

Started by phonebob, November 22, 2015, 09:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phonebob

I noticed the phone line connected to my OBi100 was dead.  After checking a few things I went to the OBi and saw its power LED was flashing red and green.  The line had clearly been dead for some time.

I unplugged the OBi and plugged it back in, and it went to the same state.  I then went to my computer and connected to the OBi's IP address.  It came up in a firmware update screen.  I used the interface to select an update to the latest firmware.  It gave me a pop-up "Press OK to update the firmware. Please allow 30s for the process to complete." I pressed OK.  Nothing noticeable happened - just continued flashing red/green for as long as I'd wait.

I tried this several times.  Based on postings in this forum I also tried a different power supply, doing a reset (with a paperclip), and updating to two earlier versions of firmware (2824 and 2853).  None of these attempts caused any different behavior.

Each time it powers up the LED first goes red, then flashes green twice, flashes green for a very quick third time, and then alternates red and green.

Has it simply died? It's about 2.5 years old (well out of warranty).

SteveInWA

Quote from: phonebob on November 22, 2015, 09:02:01 PM
It came up in a firmware update screen.  I used the interface to select an update to the latest firmware. 

Your post is unclear.  It's encouraging that you got to the firmware update screen, since it is a strong indicator that the device is salvageable.  However, what do you mean, exactly, by "I used the interface to select an update to the latest firmware."  Did you first download the firmware to your computer, so you could then point the device to that file to upload to the device?  If not, it isn't smart enough to go fetch it by itself.

Firmware download link:  http://fw.obihai.com/OBi-latest.fw

SteveInWA

If you did, in fact, attempt to upload a previously-downloaded and saved firmware .fw file to your device, and it fails to perform the upload, then the device has a hardware failure.

The good news is, it died just in time to take advantage of Obihai's "Black Friday" sale.  You can get a new OBi 200, with a one-year warranty, for $29.95 and free shipping, from 11/27--29.  Here's the link (not yet showing the 11/27 sale price).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833617008

phonebob

Yes, I downloaded 3 versions of the firmware (latest/2872, 2824, and 2853) to my computer, and selected each of them for upload from there.  I tried again today, after the device sat cold for over 12 hours - same results.

I had gotten the email about the Newegg BF sale (as well as Amazon's cyber Monday deal at the same price).  I guess that's good timing if it had to die.  I hope a new OBi200 lasts longer than this one.

Thanks!

phonebob

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 22, 2015, 11:00:39 PM
The good news is, it died just in time to take advantage of Obihai's "Black Friday" sale.  You can get a new OBi 200, with a one-year warranty, for $29.95 and free shipping, from 11/27--29.  Here's the link (not yet showing the 11/27 sale price).

Newegg requires promo code EMCKKNV68 for this price.

SteveInWA

Quote from: phonebob on November 27, 2015, 09:48:19 AM
Quote from: SteveInWA on November 22, 2015, 11:00:39 PM

It's 11/27 and newegg is not showing the BF price.  Anyone know what's up?

Good question.  I just tried to order one myself, and the price hasn't been changed.  Newegg's website seems overloaded from the shopping frenzy, too.  Hopefully, it will show up soon. 

It'll also be on sale at Amazon on the 30th from 6:30am to 10:30am PST.  When OBis have been on sale in the past on an Amazon "Lightening sale", they tend to go very fast.  Amazon limits the quantity on sale at that time, for that price, so that's why I didn't mention it earlier.

SteveInWA

OK, I figured it out:  add the item to your shopping cart, then, during checkout, enter this promo code:

EMCKKNV68

phonebob

After my OBi100 sat idle for 5+ days, I plugged it in again, and it works again.   ???

Is it likely to die again?  I now have a new OBi200 as a spare or replacement.

Also, the OBi100 has firmware build 2776 (probably never updated since I bought it - current build is 2872).  Related to that:

• Is it possible there was some attempt to update it initiated automatically that started the failure?
  • What are the pluses and minuses of updating to the current version? 

• What is the security problem with the old firmware (I use Google Voice and Callcentric)?
    • What are the issues with updating without an Obihai support plan?

Thanks!

SteveInWA

Quote from: phonebob on December 03, 2015, 04:28:06 PM
After my OBi100 sat idle for 5+ days, I plugged it in again, and it works again.   ???

Is it likely to die again?  I now have a new OBi200 as a spare or replacement.
Beats me.  My guess would be that yes, it'll fail again.  I recommend that you upgrade the firmware before it conks out.

Also, the OBi100 has firmware build 2776 (probably never updated since I bought it - current build is 2872).  Related to that:

• Is it possible there was some attempt to update it initiated automatically that started the failure?
  • What are the pluses and minuses of updating to the current version? 

• What is the security problem with the old firmware (I use Google Voice and Callcentric)?
    • What are the issues with updating without an Obihai support plan?

Thanks!

Yes, it's possible that the firmware update would have been kicked off automatically if/when you attempted to add it to the OBiTALK web portal or configured Google Voice.

You can no longer use Google Voice with the downlevel firmware.  Go to the latest firmware link I provided, and upgrade your firmware. 

Click for firmware download.

This is free and "legit"; you don't need to pay the support fee to upgrade the firmware manually; the fee is only if you wanted it to be upgraded automatically by Obihai.

To do this, you must log into the local IP address of the device.  Press ***1 on the OBi-attached telephone to obtain the IP address, then enter it into your web browser.  Go to the System Management --> Device Update --> Firmware Update section to upload the file you downloaded above.

There is no risk at this point in time, to upgrade the firmware.  It's stable, it has been around a long time, and there are no outstanding bugs.

Google updated its security requirements for using the XMPP protocol ("Chat") to be consistent with all other external access to Google services.  The current method works via the OAUTH 2.0 standard.  Your Google password is not stored on the OBi device.  Instead, you will be taken to your Google account to grant permission for your OBi to access only the specific service it needs, and then a secure access token will be written to your device.

None of this will impact your use of Callcentric, which will still work as before.

My step-by-step instructions for configuring Google Voice on OBi devices are here:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

phonebob

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 03, 2015, 04:47:08 PM
Yes, it's possible that the firmware update would have been kicked off automatically if/when you attempted to add it to the OBiTALK web portal or configured Google Voice.

You can no longer use Google Voice with the downlevel firmware.
I have been using GV with this old firmware - both before and after this recent death/revival.  It may be less secure, but it seems to work fine for both outgoing and incoming calls.
Google updated its security requirements for using the XMPP protocol ("Chat") to be consistent with all other external access to Google services.  The current method works via the OAUTH 2.0 standard.  Your Google password is not stored on the OBi device.  Instead, you will be taken to your Google account to grant permission for your OBi to access only the specific service it needs, and then a secure access token will be written to your device.
I recall that some months ago my OBi stopped working when I changed my google password.  I read about needing to upgrade the firmware, but somehow configured it with the new password and it kept working.

I'm willing to upgrade the firmware - just trying to understand.

Thanks again!

Daichavobi

I have the same problem trying to update my obi100 (which is flashing red/green).  I downloaded firmware from the indicated link - http://fw.obihai.com/OBi-latest.fw   - but how do I "point the obi100" to this file to initiate an upgrade???  thanks!!!

SteveInWA

You need to find the IP address of your OBi, assuming it was able to get one.  You can then log into the device by entering that IP address in your web browser, and getting to the System Management --> Device Update section to select the firmware file you downloaded, and then click the button to upload it.

I'm guessing that your OBi won't respond to touch-tone commands entered on the attached telephone.  If that's the case, then you can look in your router's DHCP address table to find the OBi's MAC address (printed on the bottom of the OBi), and see the corresponding IP address.

zAmb0ni

Hey all,

I didn't want to add yet another topic on the same subject so I am just adding this to an old topic.

I've had my Obi100 for several years now and haven't had a problem.  Someone tried to call and couldn't get through only to find the unit was having the flashing red/green power light.  I unplugged and plugged it back in and everything was green for a day or so and then the reg/green starts again.

Not sure if the unit is dying, but there is one thing I want to rule out before I maybe go by a new Obi unit.  I have been having recent problems with my internet connection where my modem will still be connected, but not be bonded on all upstream channels.  The upstream light will be flashing blue.  Just wondering if the red/green light problem may be due to my internet connection.   I need comcast to come out in the neighborhood to check the lines since my cable modem upstream power is on the high side and is likely to be causing the upstream connection problem.

I checked tonight and the 100 was using an older version of the firmware, I upgraded the firmware and will see if the problem comes back, but also wanted to check on the light/modem upstream connection  in the meantime.  Any idea if there may be a connection?

Edit:  Might be the power supply going bad.  I just noticed it just rebooted on its own.  Gonna find a different power supply to try.

SteveInWA

Quote from: zAmb0ni on February 25, 2016, 07:17:52 PM
Hey all,

I didn't want to add yet another topic on the same subject so I am just adding this to an old topic.

I've had my Obi100 for several years now and haven't had a problem.  Someone tried to call and couldn't get through only to find the unit was having the flashing red/green power light.  I unplugged and plugged it back in and everything was green for a day or so and then the reg/green starts again.

Not sure if the unit is dying, but there is one thing I want to rule out before I maybe go by a new Obi unit.  I have been having recent problems with my internet connection where my modem will still be connected, but not be bonded on all upstream channels.  The upstream light will be flashing blue.  Just wondering if the red/green light problem may be due to my internet connection.   I need comcast to come out in the neighborhood to check the lines since my cable modem upstream power is on the high side and is likely to be causing the upstream connection problem.

I checked tonight and the 100 was using an older version of the firmware, I upgraded the firmware and will see if the problem comes back, but also wanted to check on the light/modem upstream connection  in the meantime.  Any idea if there may be a connection?

Edit:  Might be the power supply going bad.  I just noticed it just rebooted on its own.  Gonna find a different power supply to try.

I don't see how your cable internet service has anything to do with this.  If the power supply swap doesn't fix it, then  it's time to buy a new one.  If you hurry, you can get a better OBi 200 on sale at Newegg:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10976.msg72280#msg72280

zAmb0ni

Quote from: SteveInWA on February 25, 2016, 10:00:58 PM
I don't see how your cable internet service has anything to do with this.  If the power supply swap doesn't fix it, then  it's time to buy a new one.  If you hurry, you can get a better OBi 200 on sale at Newegg:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10976.msg72280#msg72280

I'm a usually a dunce when it comes to networking things. I don't know exactly what the flashing red/green means, and thought the Obi100 was having trouble pulling an IP address from the cable modem....but stupid me, it would be pulling it from the router and not the modem :P.   Wasn't sure if it was the power supply because most people seem to have problems getting it to update/reset/reboot.  But their power supply my be totally shot and mine is intermittently bad.

I think I will go ahead and get the Obi200...its cheap enough :)....and talk about being out of the loop, I never knew that Google Voice never followed through.  I signed up for service through PhonePower, and hadn't looked at the Obi site for over a year.  Will have to look at switching back to GV.

Tenderfoot56

Just to add to this thread that I had provided my son with an Obi-100 unit that worked great for about a year and a half.  While visiting him, I noticed that the unit was flashing red/green and went to check it out.  I could not get a dial tone, and trying to access the device from the PC was unsuccessful.  Fortunately, the IP Address assigned to it by the router was visible in the DHCP table, so I tried to access it using that IP via the PC.  No luck! 

This was a problem because my son was moving to Germany, and I wanted him to take the device with him so we could communicate Obi to Obi for free during his stay there for 4+ years.  After trying everything I could think of and also consulting this forum for answers, nothing seemed to work.  Updating the device with new firmware would fail over and over again, and out of frustration, I purchased a new Obi-100, successfully updated it to current firmware for him, and installed it in his home.  It worked just fine, and 2 months later he took it to Germany with him and it's continued to work fine.

I thought I had a "Bricked" unit on my hands, but I brought his old unit home and tried to update it on my PC, and once again, it would not update.  So I just stuck it on the shelf where it has been sitting for about a year and a half. 

Recently, MY Obi 100 failed to connect to Google Voice, so of course I did some digging and found that a new firmware was needed.  I downloaded it, installed it without issue and now MY Obi-100 is back online and working great.

Just for grins and giggles, I decided to grab my Son's old "Bricked" Obi-100 off the shelf, and once again, I did a hard reset on it using the paper clip in the hole on the bottom of the device, let it go through its initialization and then searched for it on my DHCP listing on the Router to find the IP Address it was given.  To my surprise, it appeared with a valid IP Address!

I opened my PC Browser, plugged in the IP address and BINGO!!!!  I got logged into the web admin page on the Obi-100 device.  From there, I was able to successfully flash it with the latest 1.3.0 (2886) Firmware, connect it back to Google Voice and it works like a champ!!!!

I have now placed it into daily use and put MY Obi-100 back in the box as a backup unit should anything go wacky with this unit, but so far, so good.  It's been a couple of weeks now and everything has continued to work just fine.

I guess the Obi-100 must have a capacitor or something in it that just takes a while to completely electrically drain out over time, and when it does, it "unlocks" or somehow releases the hold on the little computer built in there to allow it to once again become accessible.  I have seen this with other hardware devices, but most will give you access within an hour or so, or at the most a few days, but a year and a half ??? 

Anyway, I just wanted to share my story and let you know that if you find yourself with a possibly "Bricked" or Locked up device, just stick it on the shelf for a while and try it again later.    You may get surprised just like I did!!! 

Good Luck!!

diazfamily

As of this morning (since noticing it when I woke up around 9am PST 7/9/2016), I noticed my Obi100 has been alternating red and green.  It's been fine since having this device since June 2013 with no problems.  I noticed the $10 subscription thing they're offering now to maintain updates, but I don't mind doing it automatically.

The problem is, I feel like as it was trying to auto-update, that's when Obi triggered it to not update, causing the alternating red and green problem to begin with...just a theory.  So now I can't do it manually either.  I've tried everything, and I don't know what to do.

I can't hard reset it as even when I try to, it still alternates red and green.  It won't stop alternating. 

SteveInWA

Quote from: diazfamily on July 09, 2016, 10:02:51 PM
As of this morning (since noticing it when I woke up around 9am PST 7/9/2016), I noticed my Obi100 has been alternating red and green.  It's been fine since having this device since June 2013 with no problems.  I noticed the $10 subscription thing they're offering now to maintain updates, but I don't mind doing it automatically.

The problem is, I feel like as it was trying to auto-update, that's when Obi triggered it to not update, causing the alternating red and green problem to begin with...just a theory.  So now I can't do it manually either.  I've tried everything, and I don't know what to do.

I can't hard reset it as even when I try to, it still alternates red and green.  It won't stop alternating. 

See your duplicate post here:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11256.msg75364#msg75364

diazfamily

Quote from: SteveInWA on July 09, 2016, 10:27:21 PM
Quote from: diazfamily on July 09, 2016, 10:02:51 PM

See your duplicate post here:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11256.msg75364#msg75364

Thank you Steve.  See my response here: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11256.msg75366#msg75366