News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Started by ysikggf, April 07, 2016, 09:25:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysikggf

Hi,

I am thinking about getting 911 service and I am planning to go with gv911.com.

Will 911 be able to get my address when I place a call or do I have to use additional services like smart911 or something like that?

How good is gv911.com?

I live in Austin, Texas. So, if anyone knows my local dispatcher number, not just the police number, so that I can dial that number instead of dialing 911, it would be great too.  ;D

Thanks.  ;)

SteveInWA

The E911 service providers are required by FCC regulation to ask you for your street address during signup, and then, when you call 911, your address is sent to the emergency dispatch center.  If your community supports Smart 911, then yes, it will work with whichever E911 service you decide to use.  If you want to take advantage of Smart 911, then don't use your dispatch's local number; calls must go through the 911 infrastructure.

I have no experience with, and frankly wouldn't trust, GV911.  It's some random guy on the internet, reselling the service somehow, until one day, he mysteriously disappears.  For a bit more money per month, you can sign up with an established, known VoIP provider, like Anveo, Callcentric, voip.ms, etc.

ysikggf

Quote from: SteveInWA on April 07, 2016, 09:43:09 AM
The E911 service providers are required by FCC regulation to ask you for your street address during signup, and then, when you call 911, your address is sent to the emergency dispatch center.  If your community supports Smart 911, then yes, it will work with whichever E911 service you decide to use.  If you want to take advantage of Smart 911, then don't use your dispatch's local number; calls must go through the 911 infrastructure.

I have no experience with, and frankly wouldn't trust, GV911.  It's some random guy on the internet, reselling the service somehow, until one day, he mysteriously disappears.  For a bit more money per month, you can sign up with an established, known VoIP provider, like Anveo, Callcentric, voip.ms, etc.

I was going to sign up with Anveo but they only allow 2 calls per months, last month I did 4 calls to 911 from my cellphone.

SteveInWA

Four calls in one month?  All the more reason to go with an established provider.  voip.ms and callcentric.com have no such limitation on the number of calls.

theeccles

I'm using a 202 and I just signed up for GV911 but cant seem to get the script entered into obi expert.  It appears that obi expert is not really saving any of my changes after I hit submit.  I have updated firmware, reset factory defaults, rebooted several times.  Not really sure what to try next.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SteveInWA

Quote from: theeccles on May 01, 2016, 11:26:16 AM
I'm using a 202 and I just signed up for GV911 but cant seem to get the script entered into obi expert.  It appears that obi expert is not really saving any of my changes after I hit submit.  I have updated firmware, reset factory defaults, rebooted several times.  Not really sure what to try next.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"Not really sure what to try next..."  How about not ignoring our advice, and instead, using an established, legit VoIP service provider for 911 service.  There's "frugal", and then there's "foolishly cheap".