News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Porting Configuration/Settings From Obi100 to Obi202

Started by A_Friend, December 04, 2015, 05:26:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A_Friend

(Sorry if this Q is FAQ, but I seriously couldn't find it after multiple searches.)

I have an Obi100 that's several years old now and has been running GV, voip.ms and custom AA prompts.  I'd like to upgrade my phone system to a brand-new Obi202.  Now, I know I can port the AA prompts with the Upgrade/backup/restore functions and that those are compatible.  But, what about the rest of it?  Are the 100's settings backup files compatible with the load function of the 202?

And what happens to Google Voice now that you can no longer do manual config?  Will the existing GV config not work when restored to a different device and I have to use Obitalk setup instead?  I suppose I should preface this question by telling you I use 2-step verification on GMAIL and am using a device-specific password.

Mostly, I want to bring over my speeddial list and I don't see any way to do that separately.

Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise.

drgeoff

You have nothing to lose by making a backup file on the 100 and loading it into the 202.  In the worst case of completely mucking up the 202, just do a factory reset and you will be back to your current situation.

Passwords are not saved in backup files so you'll need to re-enter the voip.ms one.  And I would rate at more than 99% the probability that to get GV working on the 202 you will need to configure using the portal.

Would be useful if you report back on how you get on with transferring the various items.

A_Friend

This is heavy lifting.  So far, I'm not happy with the process or the results.

The AA prompts were easy (or at least they were after I consulted my Admin guide -- why it's part of the firmware upgrade and not the settings restore, I'll never know).  As for restoring the backed-up settings, that didn't go well.

As predicted, the passwords didn't come over.  I could fix the voip.ms SP, but not the GV.  I even created a new device-specific  google password (I have two-step verification on), but it didn't work.  Out of options, I used the Obitalk configuration portal to reinstall GV, which went on to lunch all my settings as well as the voip.ms.

I deleted the 202 from my Obitalk console, turned off all the autoconfig and obitalk stuff and reinstalled the config file from the 100.

GV still works, without a password.  I know the process was changed, but it's excessively mysterious.  Isn't it documented, anywhere?  I just wish there was a way to do it without Obitalk being involved.

As for poorly documented things...  Using the 202 to replace a 100 meant I was hooking the "Internet" port to my router to attach it to the 'net as a peer to everything else on the local intranet, like my computers.  Unfortunately, the web configuration interface considers that  "accessing via the WAN" and you have to enable it, which I could only find documented buried deep in the "Obi Device Administration Guide."  It's not the most user-friendly document.  (If anyone is paying attention, it not only NEEDS, it DESERVES an index.)

One item still unaddressed is what happened to my digit maps.  There's stuff that clearly isn't working now.  At the very least it looks like I'm going to have to manually cut and paste between the two, and/or revisit some obscure OBi-incantations I haven't thought about in years.

A_Friend

Quote from: drgeoff on December 06, 2015, 07:34:22 AM
GV configuration tutorial. http://www.obihai.com/tutorial/ngvtutorial1

As I said, I used that, and it worked to set the authorization.  What I was asking, however, was if there is a way to manually set up Google Voice, similar to the way we used to be able to, entering AuthUserName and AuthPassword in SIP Credentials.  Or, perhaps another utility that does NOT involve the Obitalk website.  The Obitalk website messes up my settings and I don't want to have to fight with it.

Taoman

Quote from: A_Friend on December 06, 2015, 03:48:19 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on December 06, 2015, 07:34:22 AM
GV configuration tutorial. http://www.obihai.com/tutorial/ngvtutorial1

if there is a way to manually set up Google Voice, similar to the way we used to be able to, entering AuthUserName and AuthPassword in SIP Credentials.  Or, perhaps another utility that does NOT involve the Obitalk website. 
No, there is not. If you want Google Voice configured on your OBi you need to use the Obitalk portal to do it.

One way to get around it is to use the Simonics GV gateway (one time $6 charge). I have been using it for the last several months and it has been very solid and reliable with very low latency. For that $6 you also get CNAM which GV does not provide. It is basically a SIP to XMPP gateway. You can read about it here:
https://simonics.com/services/