News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

What, if any, OBi device will do this?

Started by Confuzed, December 09, 2015, 08:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Confuzed

My internet service required I get their phone service, so I opted for the lowest $0.99/mo 911 only line.

I would like to use an OBi w/ GV for all of my calling, but route any 911 calls out via the 911 only line provided by my ISP.  Do any of the Obi devices allow me to connect a PTSN line for outgoing calls, and can I configure it to only send 911 calls out on that line while everything else goes out on GV?.

I know I can get e911 service on my GV number cheap... but figured it was a waste if not absolutely necessary.

Confuzed

I believe I answered this question myself with a bit more google searching.

It appears that the 110 has a telco port that I can connect to a landline, and from what I am reading, it is smart enough to always use this line for 911.

I would like confirmation on this, and would like to ensure that I will be able to direct all other calling through my GV service.

Confuzed

Ok, last time I am replying to myself.  I am starting to question what I had found... this picture shows a label under the TELCO port that clearly says "No Emergency Calls"... which directly conflicts with what I had read.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61W-zSi%2BrzL._SL1485_.jpg

Would really appreciate confirmation one way or the other before I order one.

drgeoff

An OBi110 will indeed you as you want.

Or an OBi200 or 202, but both require the optional OBiLINE accessory.

Mango

I would rather see you use the OBi110 instead of the OBiLINE - as there have been a great deal of reports of poor performance with the OBiLINE.

I believe the "No Emergency Calls" sticker is in reference to Google Voice which does not support 911.  If you used the device with some other service provider that does support 911 (such as your ISP's POTS line), and configure it correctly, it will work.

TonyTib

Think about your priorities.  My internet service comes with a "free" analog phone line with unlimited US calling, so I added an ObiLine to my existing Obi202.  Since I also have E911 included with one ITSP and two cell phones, I'm not too worried about the ObiLine's reliability - and strongly prefer the 202's additional features over the 110's.

So far ObiLine has been OK, with occasional echoing.

Note: "free" = $11/month in additional taxes, but it's still a better deal for me than AT&T or Comcast, and I get to support a local business with good customer service.

LeoKing

Quote from: Confuzed on December 09, 2015, 09:09:16 AM
I believe I answered this question myself with a bit more google searching.

It appears that the 110 has a telco port that I can connect to a landline, and from what I am reading, it is smart enough to always use this line for 911.

I would like confirmation on this, and would like to ensure that I will be able to direct all other calling through my GV service.

I used to connect the magicJack dongle to the FXO ports on the 2 OBi110's I have to use the free 911 from MJ with Google Voice a couple of years ago. MJ no longer offers free 911 now, just FYI.