News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Starting Over

Started by knotmyline, November 13, 2020, 10:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knotmyline

I lost my home and possessions in the fires in Oregon in September. Now I am in a new home with a new Dell laptop connected to the Infinity internet via wi-fi. This system replaces my old tower PC that was directly connected to the internet. I have internet service with modem and router working and now am ready to obtain new cordless phones for around the house but have questions because of the change in my computer setup. I previously had an OBI200 and OBI account for access to my Google Voice account. I am 86yo and not very tech-savvy, so need lots of help. lol

Are there specific instructions on the setup for my situation?   

Can I purchase a new OBI200 and link it to my existing OBI & GV accounts or must I create new OBI & GV accounts for it?

Do I need any other equipment to allow my new iPhone to forward calls to those new home cordless phones and vice versa?

Thanks, Ron

drgeoff

No special setup instructions.  You can use your existing OBitalk account and GV number and account.  There have been some recent reports of people having a problem to add a device to an Obitalk account.  Obihai are aware but I don't know if that has been fixed so some perseverance may be needed.

As to your cellphone.  You can of course have that as one of your GV forwarding destinations so that it rings in parallel with the DECT handsets on the OBi200.  Using those handsets to make or answer calls on the cellphone number is a different matter.  In theory you can add an OBiBT Bluetooth dongle to your OBi200 and pair it to the cellphone.  I cannot comment on how well that works in practice. An alternative method to receive calls to the cellphone number is to configure some variety of forwarding to your GV number.  That has to be done purely within the cellphone and cellular service provider environment as your OBi device and GV account have no control over that.