News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Freephoneline.ca and obi200 problems

Started by Popol, December 04, 2015, 10:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Popol

Hi everyone,

This is my first time setting up VOIP and I'm having some problems.  Spend many hours reading through the forums and trying many different things.

I have a OBI200 and I bought an unlock key from freephoneline.ca.

I tried setting up my connection through OBITalk (manually changing the ringtone voltage and frequency to 52/90) and I also tried setting it up manually through the web interface (followed these instructions: freephonelinesetup.blogspot.ca/2013/04/freephonelineca-config-info-obihai-obi.html).

Here are all the symptoms/problems  I encounter:

1. Whenever I choose to reboot the device, it looses the connection to the handset.  I can still access OBITalk or the device's web interface but the phone is dead.  The only way to get it to see the phone again is to remove the power to the obi200 for at least a minute and connect it again.  Even that won't work every now and then. Sometimes I can't get it to see the handset anymore and I perform a factory reset and start from the beggining.

2. When I get it to work outgoing calls seem to work just fine. But I have a strange problem with incoming calls:  Let's say I call to my FPL number from my current landline (LL).  In my LL handset I'll hear it ring once and then I'll hear a 'click' about 4-5 times per second. On my FPL handset I'll only hear about half a ring.  When I pickup the FPL handset, I only hear some kind of 'on hold' music on my LL handset and a dial tone on my FPL handset.  If I flash my FPL handset I get a normal communication between both handset.  If I hang up the FPL handset first I'll keep hearing the clicking sound on the LL handset, seemingly keeping the communcation up for as long as I want.

3. When I try to call from the LL sometimes it will go straight to the voicemail of my FPL line.  And picking up the FPL handset it seems that the on hook/off hook is not always properly recognized. Sometimes I hear complete silence, sometimes the dialtone and sometimes that beeping tone you get when you don't dial fast enough.

Writing about this makes me think there must be something wrong with how my on hook/off hooks settings are configured but I can't seem to find relevant info on this and I don't want to screw things up more than they already are. I tried with 3 different handsets on the obi200 and it always does the same thing.  Also, after a factory reset the handsets always work just fine (for **9 222 222 222 tests and *** menus).  So that makes me think it could also be a FPL config problem.

If someone has any pointers that direct me towards a solution that would be really appreciated.

Popol

I also noticed that when I look at the Status->Phone port status on the web interface I get these values:

Phone on hook:

State                   Off Hook
LoopCurrent   6 mA    (this one seems to be either around 6mA or around 20mA)
VBAT            45 V (12.0 V)   (this one varies from 36V to 48V)
TipRingVoltage   44 V     (this one is always within 1V of VBAT)
LastCallerInfo   (my LL number)

Phone off hook:

State                   Off Hook
LoopCurrent   20 mA  (pretty stable at that value)
VBAT                   17 V (12.0 V)  (pretty stable too)
TipRingVoltage   8 V    (7V or 8V)
LastCallerInfo   (my LL number)

So in both cases my phone port seems to see my handset as being off hook. I tried with 2 handsets and it does roughly the same thing with a small variation.  Could it be possible that the clicks I hear are the phone constantly switching from on hook to off hook?  If so, is it a defect on the obi200 or a config problem?

Popol

Ok, it seems I'm starting to understand what's happening regarding the on hook/off hook problem.  The default TipRing Voltage  of 46V seems to be too high for my handsets.  I tried 35V and now it almost works as expected.  The only problem remaining is that the rings are very short.  Around 1/10th of a second long but they are spaced normally.

I realize this is probably very basic to most of you but I'll keep posting my progress in case it can help someone else.  I now see it probably has nothing to do with freephoneline.ca after all.  I don't know if this can be moved to a more relevant part of the forums.

Mango

Quote from: Popol on December 04, 2015, 10:21:34 AM(followed these instructions: freephonelinesetup.blogspot.ca/2013/04/freephonelineca-config-info-obihai-obi.html).

Those instructions are wrong and will likely result in you getting banned soon.  I suggest you reset your device's configuration and use the official guide:  http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16090