News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Finding the 202's Google Voice number

Started by ddalley, December 21, 2015, 12:45:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddalley

When I look at the Obi Dashboard to page, it doesn't show what my device's GV number is. All I have been able to see is the number GV uses to identify the device to phones receiving my calls, ending in 8888. Everyone has the same ID number, as far as I know.

When I run Google Voice on a computer, the GV page shows my GV number. So I would like to know the missing/hidden number in my 202, too.

drgeoff

1. Your Obi device does not use or need to know your GV number. You will note that you were not required to enter it when configuring GV on your Obi. Go to google.com/voice to find your GV number.

2. Are you certain that you have a "full" GV account, not the "lite" version?

SteveInWA

All I have been able to see is the number GV uses to identify the device to phones receiving my calls, ending in 8888

As drgeoff guessed, you do not have your own Google Voice inbound telephone number.  You have an outbound-only account.  Formerly, Google used to send the -8888 caller ID on these calls.  Recently, they stopped doing that, to align the XMPP (old Chat protocol) calls used by OBi users, with the new Hangouts service.  Instead, all calls placed from outbound-only accounts are sent as anonymous (no caller ID at all).

If you are located within the 48 contiguous US states, and you have a working mobile or traditional land line telephone number used to authenticate yourself during registration, you can obtain a Google Voice phone number from Google's pool, or you can port in a mobile phone number to become your GV number.

Go here:  https://www.google.com/voice and click "Get a Voice number" to get started.

ddalley

I was not aware of the change to "unidentified'.

I am in Canada, but when I went to the US, this year, I got a legitimate GV number. I don't see a way of migrating that to the device as its main, default GV number. The Google service through Obihai seems to be different, maybe a special arrangement by making it dialout-only, to get it back on the device.

Is this info in some sort of FAQ, because I haven't found it on the site yet?

SteveInWA

Google Voice phone numbers are attached to Google accounts.

You have two choices:

• If you don't care which Google account hosts the number, then re-do the Google Voice setup on your OBi 202, while logged into the correct Google account.  While logged into the correct account on your web browser, open a new browser tab (Ctrl-T), go to the OBiTALK dashboard, click on your device then click on whichever SP has the GV account set up, and you'll get to a pop-up dialog box that shows your currently-programmed credentials.  You can change the credentials from there.
  • If you would like to move your GV phone number to a different Google account (so that, for example, you can consolidate voicemail, texts and/or Gmail), then you can follow these instructions to simply move the number from one Google account to the other:  https://support.google.com/voice/answer/3527591?hl=en&ref_topic=1708124

ddalley

Thinking about it for a minute, I think I would like to keep both numbers, since one may be related to Canada and the new one/Hangouts is definitely US related.

When I tried to add the new number to the Obihai, as SP3, I was just led to the normal set-up procedure, so I will work on this.