News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Firmware Verson Lower after Update

Started by kevinds, December 26, 2015, 08:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinds

I setup a new OBi202 yesterday..

It was running firmware version,
SoftwareVersion   3.1.0 (Build: 5110)

Obitalk alerted me to a firmware update that was available.  After doing the update (somehow I cancelled it on Obitalk, and couldn't get it to alert again, so I did it manually) the version is now

SoftwareVersion   3.1.0 (Build: 4972)

The version seems to have gone down.  My searches didn't reveal anything of value, so thought I would ask here.

Was this expected?

SteveInWA

Hi:

Welcome to OBiland!  This is one of the quirks of Obihai's firmware release management.  The version of firmware you get when pressing ***6 may be different than the default downloadable version on this forum, which may be different than certain builds that may fix some specific problem, but are not widespread enough to push to every user.

The short and safe answer is:  don't worry about it.  5110 was receiving some bug reports.  4972 was the highest stable build level before that, so you've got the best build now.

The longer answer is, some of us nerds like keeping up with the latest build, and when somebody finds one, we post its specific URL for manual download.  There were a couple of builds with unknown/minor patches before 4972, and then the 5xxx series started with support for the new, optional-cost OBiExtras service.  Perhaps you looked at setting up OBiEXTRAS, which would have pushed that firmware build.

kevinds

So then,

Why did ObiTalk tell me there was an update when I had a later version already, but no longer does?

I am evaluating the Obihai products for deployment to VoIP customers..  Getting tired of our current system of having to manually provision each device.  And make changes to them, this looks great for a user 'accidentally' factory resets them.  Just have to work though a few of these issues.

Love being able to make changes on the ObiTalk page, without needing direct access to each phone or ATA.  :)

SteveInWA

I wasn't standing behind you, watching everything you did, so I don't know what happened.  Somehow, something you did triggered the update to 5110, and then something else triggered the update to the default version, 4972.  It's possible that Obihai actually pulled that 5110 build, since it had bugs, but I have no way to know.

I wouldn't worry about it at this time.

There are four ways that a firmware build can be written to the device:

1) You manually download a build from the "Firmware" section of this forum, and then manually upload it via the OBi device's local (embedded) web server.  To do this, you need physical access to the device so you can log into its IP address.

2) You press ***6 on the device to check for a firmware update.  The system compares your device's firmware build to the build it thinks you should be using, and, if it decides you need an update, it tells you that one is available, and tells you to press 1 to accept it.  This method will typically give you whatever build Obihai considers  stable, which may not be the very latest.

3) You configure a service via OBiTALK portal that requires new firmware to enable that service or feature.  Obihai will then automatically push the required build to your device and reboot it.  This is what might have triggered the 5110 push to your device, if you were looking at the new OBiEXTRAs offering.  Google Voice is another example; some old devices had firmware incompatible with Google's new authentication protocol, so OBiTALK would detect that and push the required build.

4)  OBiTALK can periodically check the firmware build of your device and push a new build, if one is needed.  This was a controversial topic a few years ago, but either they've stopped doing this, or, they've only been doing it rarely, to fix a critical bug, as nobody has mentioned it recently.  It hasn't caused any problems for several years.

MurrayB

My Obi 202 is running fine with v4738 I am afraid to touch it.

kevinds

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 27, 2015, 01:51:32 PM
I wasn't standing behind you, watching everything you did, so I don't know what happened.  Somehow, something you did triggered the update to 5110, and then something else triggered the update to the default version, 4972.  It's possible that Obihai actually pulled that 5110 build, since it had bugs, but I have no way to know.

I wouldn't worry about it at this time.

There are four ways that a firmware build can be written to the device:

1) You manually download a build from the "Firmware" section of this forum, and then manually upload it via the OBi device's local (embedded) web server.  To do this, you need physical access to the device so you can log into its IP address.

2) You press ***6 on the device to check for a firmware update.  The system compares your device's firmware build to the build it thinks you should be using, and, if it decides you need an update, it tells you that one is available, and tells you to press 1 to accept it.  This method will typically give you whatever build Obihai considers  stable, which may not be the very latest.

3) You configure a service via OBiTALK portal that requires new firmware to enable that service or feature.  Obihai will then automatically push the required build to your device and reboot it.  This is what might have triggered the 5110 push to your device, if you were looking at the new OBiEXTRAs offering.  Google Voice is another example; some old devices had firmware incompatible with Google's new authentication protocol, so OBiTALK would detect that and push the required build.

4)  OBiTALK can periodically check the firmware build of your device and push a new build, if one is needed.  This was a controversial topic a few years ago, but either they've stopped doing this, or, they've only been doing it rarely, to fix a critical bug, as nobody has mentioned it recently.  It hasn't caused any problems for several years.

1)  Did this after ObiTalk told me there was an update but I didn't do it immediately, and couldn't figure out how to apply it, I followed the links to install it manually, and I ended up with 4972

2) I definitely did not do a  ***6..  Only command I dialed was to add the OBi202 to my obitalk account, but did it twice.  Still no idea what any of the ATA * codes are yet.

3) Very possible, but I specifically declined the Extra features  *no idea*

4)  In the device configration it has defaulted to Auto-Updates Off..  But that doesn't mean the provisioning server didn't push an update.

Sorry, just trying to understand the system, and more importantly, why it is doing what it does.

I'll ignore it for now  :)

kevinds

And now, just for randomness..  It has updated itself back to 5110

User Agent    OBIHAI/OBi202-3.1.0.5110

SoftwareVersion   3.1.0 (Build: 5110)

arobatino

Yes, I got the orange triangle yesterday and it upgraded my OBi200 to 5110. It didn't tell me which build it wanted to upgrade to, so I had to just let it happen and then check the OBi System Status page. Does ***6 (which I've never used to do an upgrade) tell in advance what the upgraded build will be? It would be nice if both methods would do this.

Edit: I know how to upgrade manually, by downloading the fw file, but prefer to wait until notification. OTOH, I still wish the notification would say which build it wanted to upgrade (or downgrade) to.