News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi110 hardware

Started by VirtualMonitoring, June 22, 2011, 07:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VirtualMonitoring

I am looking into different ways of integrating other devices with the Obi110, so it was out with my screwdriver to have a peep under the hood. I spotted a couple of connectors. JP4 has 8 pins and the other one had 4 pins. Here is an image of JP4... http://www.ipalarms.net/image/jp4.jpg for anyone that's interested.

Can anyone at Obihai let me know what either of these connectors, or indeed the jumper switches are for?

I'm secretely hoping for an input or output which would allow me to use the device in a special application I have for it  ;D

Dav3yDark0

I opened mine as soon as I got it and took some hi res pics. I tend to tear into most things I purchase.

JP1 appears to be an RS232 serial interface.
JP4 appears to be a JTAG interface.

I haven't played with either yet, I really need to get another 110 just to play with so that I don't interfere with my current phone setup.

Dave

VirtualMonitoring

I'd be very interested to hear anything more on this subject.

Dav3yDark0

As I said, I haven't played around with the JTAG or serial port.

I suspect the JTAG port is for firmware writes if bricked, monitoring RAM or other registers for debug purposes, etc. There are a number of free and/or open source JTAG utilities around, will need to figure out things like processor and flash brand and models to figure out some of what you need to send through the JTAG port to get results.

The serial port is most likely to connect a terminal or terminal application to to have access to the OBi devices console.

When I have some time I will play with it, but I might wait until I can pick up another one to play with when I have some extra cash.

Dave

R_Chandra

Quote from: Dav3yDark0 on July 08, 2011, 05:43:36 PMThe serial port is most likely to connect a terminal or terminal application to to have access to the OBi devices console.

When I have some time I will play with it, but I might wait until I can pick up another one to play with when I have some extra cash.
Been able to find any time to fiddle yet?

Dav3yDark0

Quote from: R_Chandra on August 11, 2011, 05:48:00 PM
Quote from: Dav3yDark0 on July 08, 2011, 05:43:36 PMThe serial port is most likely to connect a terminal or terminal application to to have access to the OBi devices console.

Been able to find any time to fiddle yet?

No sorry, I haven't had any time to play with it yet. I have a few more pressing issues right now, plus its summer and I like to get out and do things. And I really should pick up another OBi so that I don't interfere with my phone service. It may be a month or two before I get around to it.

Dave

Judgeless

I have not opened mine yet.  What is inside?  Here is what I predict.

It has a ARM9 CPU running linux with external flash and DRAM.  I predict there is another chip for the DAA to interface with standard phones.

Another guess would be a TI OMAP that contains a DSP and an ARM9.  When you look at a syslog it shows DSP.  This could be Linux off loading the phone functions to the DSP.

Ostracus

Doubtful. It really doesn't need an OS.

Judgeless

The syslog file references kernel.debug.  When there is kernal there is an OS.

Donnach

sorry to resurrect an old thread but this is what i need to talk about.

my obi110 that i got recently just redlight solid for about 3 seconds then turns off.  i get a blink on the ethernet connection every so often but nothing stable and nothing the router seems to pick up.

i've opened it up and saw the two jumpers jp3 and jp4 that are for EMUL and FLASH respectively.

no change if i move the EMUL jumper and the solid red light never goes away if i switch the FLASH jumper. 

any one do anything with either the jumpers or successfully added/used the serial or jtag points?

SteveInWA

Why would you take the device apart and start messing with jumpers?  You'll never fix it that way.  I assume that you already tried a paper-clip factory reset (push the paper clip in the reset hole for 10 seconds).  If that didn't work, and if you "recently got" it, then submit a trouble ticket with OBi support, as it's covered under warranty.

drgeoff

Quote from: Judgeless on January 15, 2012, 12:05:18 PM
I have not opened mine yet.  What is inside?  Here is what I predict.

It has a ARM9 CPU running linux with external flash and DRAM.  I predict there is another chip for the DAA to interface with standard phones.

Another guess would be a TI OMAP that contains a DSP and an ARM9.  When you look at a syslog it shows DSP.  This could be Linux off loading the phone functions to the DSP.

For the record.  The 1xx devices have MIPS processors.  The 2xx and 3xx ones have ARM processors.  That information is openly stated in the final pages of the Admin Guide.

Donnach

because i got it free and thought why not try to fix it.  sometimes the jumpers would clear everything and then you swap it back to stock and it should work like out of box. 

yes i did try the paper clip reset, no change and being that i have no skin on this, figured i would open it up

any others chiming it?

drgeoff

Did you do the paper clip reset properly? Look for "factory reset your OBi110" sticky post in this sub-forum.

Donnach

sure did, i've tried paper clip in before pulling the power, holding it for 60 seconds after power is restored.  i'ved tried it with pulled power and then paper clip for 30 seconds with power.

the only thing i ever got was solid red light that turns to solid green light, then nothing, regardless of the amount of time holding the paper clip or releasing the paper clip once the light turns green.  always the end result is just nothing.

SteveInWA

Getting it for free may be a clue.