News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Cheap Service To Provide E911 and Caller ID Name (CNAM)?

Started by DigitalMan, December 23, 2015, 03:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalMan

So I just ordered an Obi200 and had planned on just using Google Voice plus adding Anveo's E911 service. However, I just learned that Google Voice doesn't support Caller ID Name (CNAM). It's not a deal killer for me, but it's pretty important to me so I'd be willing to pay for it. I guess with GV I only get the number on CID, but no name

This made me reconsider if I should just use GV, or sign up for another VIOP provider.

First, is there a provider that could just provide E911 and Caller ID Name (CNAM) in conjunction with GV?

If not, can you recommend a cheap, reliable VIOP provider I should consider using instead of GV that provides E911 and Caller ID Name (CNAM)?

I mainly want to use the Obi for incoming calls to replace a land line. We don't have to make outgoing calls on the Obi since we can use our cell phones for that, but it would be nice. I really like all the other GV features, it's almost perfect except for missing this.

Thanks.

SteveInWA

This is a very old question that has been answered many times.  However, since it's so hard to find things on this forum, you're forgiven.   ::)

Instead of routing inbound calls to Google Chat, which is what your OBi device uses to connect to the service, get a free, inbound NY State telephone number from Callcentric.  Sign up for CC's E911 service (it's cheap).

Add and verify that number to your Google Voice account as a forwarding number, and add a check-mark next to it, on this page:

https://www.google.com/voice#phones

Remove the check-mark next to Chat.  Provision the Callcentric number on your OBi:  log into the OBiTALK portal page, click one of your SPs, and then scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the "Next" button to select Callcentric as the provider, and enter your Callcentric number's SIP user name and password, and select that SP as the one to receive inbound calls.  Also, select it as the SP to use for E911 calls.

Inbound calls to your GV number will now be routed through your CC number, which will add CNAM.  Call 933 from your OBi-attached phone to test that 911 service is working.  The automated voice will read out a different telephone number -- this is normal.  All that matters is that it reads out your street address.

Taoman

Quote from: DigitalMan on December 23, 2015, 03:49:53 PM

First, is there a provider that could just provide E911 and Caller ID Name (CNAM) in conjunction with GV?

Callcentric should fit the bill nicely. Request a free DID from Callcentric. Their free DIDs include CNAM. They require E911 which will be $1.50/month with a $1.50 setup fee.

You would then setup your Callcentric DID number as a forwarding number in Google Voice. Pretty simple setup and works well.

Another nice thing about Callcentric is that they support CNAM override with their phone book. So if you have an entry in the Callcentric phone book you can have the CID display "Dad" instead of "John Smith" or whatever CNAM would otherwise display.

SteveInWA

lhm.

Perhaps gv911.com @$12 a year. Works well for me.  8)  Though no CNAM, get that free from CC.

Edit: Bulk Solutions LLC is the parent company. Same company that Zopa uses.

SteveInWA

Quote from: lhm. on December 23, 2015, 08:10:42 PM
Perhaps gv911.com @$12 a year. Works well for me.  8)  Though no CNAM, get that free from CC.

I would rather pay the extra BFD $6/year, and have everything provided by one long-time, reputable service provider, like Callcentric.

Zopa

All great answers. I also use Callcentric for CNAM.

A quick point of clarification. You ONLY have to pay Callcentric or any other provider for E911 if you certify that you use the service in US. That question is there ONLY to satisfy FCC rules. You can answer it anyway you want, and if you happen to answer as non-US, you save on E911 fees, making Callcentric's CNAM 100% free. (Now as a disclaimer I do use CallCentric for other service so I don't completely free load, but I believe it still makes financial sense for them to terminate calls even with a free CNAM dip)

As for E911, I use bulk911.com / http://www.bulkvs.com/e911.html for it. it's by far the cheapest service I found and it works just fine. I have made a few 911 calls to verify it (it's allowed in NYC) and all very connected within 20 seconds, passing E911 info.

DigitalMan

Thanks for everyone's help. My Obi arrived yesterday (yes, on a Sunday morning) and I have it all set up with Google Voice and CallCentric. It was very easy to setup by following the instructions I found in another thread. It's working great with the temporary GV number. I'm waiting on the $0.99 T-Mobile Pre-Paid SIM card to arrive so I can port my land line over now. I expected the SIM card to arrive before the Obi, oh well.

Chris.GNV

I'm new here, and to using a VoIP service.

Using terminology found in this thread, GV apparently supports "CNAM override" for numbers found in the contacts list of the GV account, despite not supporting CNAM for other numbers. That's probably not satisfactory for some but is satisfactory for me, at least for now. By seeding our contacts list with known callers I'll cover most of the people who will call us. As other calls occur, I'll add them.

I may find that I'm willing to pay a small amount to Callcentric for CNAM, especially if it gets me E911, too. I'm moving within a few months, at which time my one-time E911 account with Anveo would have to be renewed. Perhaps I'll take that opportunity to create a new CC number.

Am I correct in thinking that you leave GV as your primary line for outbound, having ported your home number to it? That way the CID seen by others is that number?

Thanks

SteveInWA

Quote from: Chris.GNV on January 08, 2016, 08:01:20 PM

Using terminology found in this thread, GV apparently supports "CNAM override" for numbers found in the contacts list of the GV account, despite not supporting CNAM for other numbers. That's probably not satisfactory for some but is satisfactory for me, at least for now. By seeding our contacts list with known callers I'll cover most of the people who will call us. As other calls occur, I'll add them.

I may find that I'm willing to pay a small amount to Callcentric for CNAM, especially if it gets me E911, too. I'm moving within a few months, at which time my one-time E911 account with Anveo would have to be renewed. Perhaps I'll take that opportunity to create a new CC number.

Am I correct in thinking that you leave GV as your primary line for outbound, having ported your home number to it? That way the CID seen by others is that number?

Thanks

This is a duplicate to the question in your other discussion thread:  https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10814

Google Voice does not send CNAM, at all.  There is no "CNAM override" for GV.  Taoman was describing that feature being available via Callcentric.

If you'd like CNAM, then you can forward your inbound calls through an inbound Callcentric phone number, in Google Voice settings ,on the phones tab, remove the check mark next to Google Chat, and finally, provision that Callcentric number on your OBi.

Outbound calls will show the caller ID number, not name, of your Google Voice phone number.

Taoman

What you are describing is not supported by Google Voice, AFAIK. Are you positive you haven't signed up for the trial of OBiextras?
If not, are you positive that number isn't entered into the phone book of the OBi-connected phone itself?

If what you say you are experiencing was actually happening it would be big news and Obihai would not be charging money for that exact same feature.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Taoman on January 08, 2016, 08:14:39 PM

What you are describing is not supported by Google Voice, AFAIK. Are you positive you haven't signed up for the trial of OBiextras?
If not, are you positive that number isn't entered into the phone book of the OBi-connected phone itself?

If what you say you are experiencing was actually happening it would be big news and Obihai would not be charging money for that exact same feature.

Right:  no such thing.

Chris was mis-reading your post, in this discussion above:  https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10814

transam98

So I believe If Ive read correctly by changing your SP1 to Call centric and now when you make a outgoing call your caller ID will show your NY # to the party your calling right ?

Secondly since I now have to forward GV to the Callcentric # for my CNAME to work, I can no longer have my CELL Phone simulring.... is there a way to make it in callcentric so it will also ring my cell # as Ill loose that ?

Thanks in advance :) :)

dircom

You can still have GV forward your calls to CallCentric and your cell phone

transam98

Ohh, I didnt know I could put 2#'s into GV to forward to, I didnt wanna make the jump into callcentric without knowing ! As its imprtant to get the cnam and have em also forward to my cell if im not home ;) Ill jump into CCentric today and set up a NY # and try all of this :) Thanks for the info :)

dircom

You can have up to six forwarding numbers I think.  
(FYI, George Bush says there is something called "The Google"
try it

Remember, you are not going to get CNAM on any calls forwarded directly from GV (unless the phone book on your device adds the callers name.

transam98

LOL I didnt know (up to 6 forward #'s) haha yea I know Mr Google, never heard of George..George bush that is....:)

dircom

George Bush, aka "the shrub", born with a silver foot in his mouth.

transam98

LOL :) ok just got the NY # so im going forward :) ehhe....

Would you happen to know...

I have a Obi202....

If I setup my SP3 in the Obi 202 as my GV #, I can make it so when I pick up the callcentric Line (aka L1) it will make my outgoing calls go through the GV # ? This way the CALLERID will show up as the GV # and not the CallCentric # correct ?

dircom

Go into your dashboard

Phone Port Configuration Summary
Primary Line for Outgoing Calls Route to:   [Pick your default SP]
The default SP will be used for all outgoing calls

To make a call on something else than the default, you can select different a different outgoing SP by dialing **1, **2, **3, **4, **9 etc