News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

What is REALLY the latest firmware for OBi200? 4738? 4581? 4972?

Started by phonebob, December 12, 2015, 10:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phonebob

I just bought a new OBi200.  It says its firmware is 3.0.1 (Build: 4492).  I looked at the  "Latest Firmware" post, which says the latest is 3-0-1-4738.  So I tried to update.

First I tried a manual update (downloaded OBi2-latest.fw to my computer, selected it from the Firmware Update page, pressed Update, and then OK in the popup).  It just sat for as long as I'd wait (tried numerous times).  If I'd reboot and refresh the webpage, I'd eventually get back to the OBi's home page. The status would show the same  3-0-1-4738 firmware.  I repeated this a number of times.  I tried doing a factory reset - still the same result.

I associated the device with my OBiTalk account and looked for a way to update from there - no yellow triangle.

I tried ***6 and it said "software update not available".

I followed the link from the "Latest Firmware" post to the release notes, to try to see whether the update would be important.  That post says the latest release is 4581.  So I looked through the forum more and found a reference to 4972.

So what version is really the current one?  What won't work in my version?  Is there a reason to update?  If so, how would I do that?

Google voice seems to work, which is what really matters to me.

Thanks!

phonebob

I tried disabling my Windows (7) firewall, and apparently the update worked.  I'm now on 3.1.0 (Build: 4972).  The firewall never gave me any indication of an error.  Either that's what did it, or OBi pushed an update out to me during the time between tries.

phonebob

The firmware I downloaded and tried to update with was OBi2-latest.fw.  I found that this file is identical to OBi202-3-0-1-4738.fw.  It does not match OBi202-3-1-0-4972.fw.  So that means that apparently OBi did push an update to me, and my manual update did nothing.  It never occurred to me to check the firmware version again before by last update attempt.

What is the behavior when a manual update succeeds?  This one just looked like it hung (as did all my earlier attempts with the firewall enabled) until I refreshed the page.

SteveInWA

I don't know which of your machinations did the trick, but the latest version of the OBi 20x firmware as of today is:

3.1.0 (Build: 4972)

The comments by Obihai regarding build level, on the firmware section of this forum, are out of date.

In some cases, the ***6 method will not offer the "very latest" build.   I dunno why.  However, provisioning Google Voice on your OBi via the portal will check, and download/install, if necessary, the latest firmware.

phonebob

Thanks, SteveInWA  -that explains it. OBi pushed the update when I set up Google Voice. That did take a while.

So what does happen when a manual firmware update succeeds?  I've tried a bunch that haven't.  Any explanation for why they wouldn't have worked?  Could Windows firewall be the culprit?  It obviously didn't prevent OBi from pushing the update.

SteveInWA

I have no way to know what you did that may or may not have caused problems.  It wasn't the firewall.

A manual upgrade looks like manual upgrades to most firmware-based devices:  you download the replacement firmware binary file to your computer, then you go to the OBi device's built-in web page, point it to the location of the file, and then the device uploads the file to its internal memory.  After that, the upgrade runs, erasing, re-writing, and verifying the firmware on the device's flash memory.  This should take just a couple of minutes.  While it's happening, the power LED will blink, and after the LED settles down and stops blinking, the update is done.  At that point, you should be able to log back into the device and see the firmware build information on the Status page.

A_Friend

How about 3.1.0 (Build: 5069)?  I just found this on my obi202 after being forced again to do some machinations via the obitalk.com config process.  Before that it was 4972, and I have no idea what it shipped with since I didn't make a note of it.  I wish there were some actual release notes for these update/fixes.  I'm not sure if this is the reason, but the head-banging problem I was having with AutoAttendant since the first time obitalk touched it is gone with this latest release!

On a related note, how come "factory reset" doesn't restore the firmware that the unit shipped with?  Someone apparently has a different definition of either factory or reset than I do.  And, before you ask, I did the reset three different ways, 1) via the web interface, 2) via the IVR interface, and 3) with a paperclip depressing the hardware reset button in the bottom.

And, while I'm griping, how come restoring the AA prompts doesn't update the parameters that allows them to actually replace the factory ones?

SteveInWA

5069 is the new build to support OBiEXTRAS, the new, cloud-based set of optional, additional-cost services.  You don't need it unless you are using OBiEXTRAS, and it will be pushed to your device if/when you sign up for that service.

"Factory reset" always means "return the device to the default values for the installed firmware, as it would be shipped from the factory with this firmware."  It never means "go back in time and install old firmware".  That would require storing an additional copy of the device's ROM, increasing the cost of the device to contain more flash memory.  This isn't unique to OBi devices; it's the way the majority of networking or other computing devices with embedded processors are built.

A_Friend

I never even LOOKED at ObiExtras, let alone signed up for anything, and it was pushed to my device anyway.  If that's what fixed the problem I was having with AA then I'm grateful, but who knows?  Where are you seeing what 5069 is for?  Is there a list of updates and the issues addressed somewhere?

Thanks.

BigJim_McD

A_Friend,  If you are interested in ObiEXTRAs, you might want to take a look at my experience testing it on one of my OBi devices.  

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10739.msg70649#msg70649

Currently, my OBi202 has been updated to:   SoftwareVersion      3.1.0 (Build: 5110).

The experience hasn't been all that good so far although I'm seeing some progress on the
feature Business 411 (via ** access).  

My summary, I'm glad that I had a spare OBi202 that still is in warrenty with support.

I'm not sure when the features will be stable enough to trust on an OBi that is used for regular or business phone service.
BigJimMcD

simulacra

My Obi2xx series unit has a firmware of 3.10 (Build 5110), updated by the device (had manually installed 3.0.1.4822) on January 4th 2016.

Webslinger

So, is there any reason why Obihai appears to not be making the latest firmware available for manual download?

http://fw.obihai.com/OBi2-latest.fw is 4738. It seems to me that the average customer won't know how to download later firmware. Has the lack of updating the link to the latest file been made due to the $10 out of warranty support fee (get the latest firmware via the portal only)--or is this just an oversight?

It's not as though we're getting release notes either.

You can download 5069: http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-1-0-5069.fw

You can't download 5110: http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-1-0-5110.fw

zorlac

Quote from: Webslinger on January 07, 2016, 08:13:10 AM
So, is there any reason why Obihai appears to not be making the latest firmware available for manual download?
I'm able to download that FW file OK but I have a 200 not a 202, I guess that FW would work in either one?

FWIW, I just used the obitalk web page to remotely update my father's obi200 to the 5110 build.
The warranty on his obi expired last Sept so it's good to know that obihai is still providing FW updates via the obitalk dashboard to out of warranty units.
I hope my parents still have phone service.  ;D

BigJim_McD

A firmware update became available on OBiTalk for my older OBi202 and OBi200 this past evening.  I successfully updated both OBi devices.

I decided to check if 5110 was available for manual download and was able to download a copy manually.
    http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-1-0-5110.fw
BigJimMcD

flinchlock

Late last night Jan-15-2015 I did not have the update yellow triangle.

Today about 5am Jan-16-2015 EST... yellow update triangle...

"Successfully upgraded 1234567890's firmware to 3.1.0 (Build: 5110)."

Why is https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0 "never" updated ??? ??? ???

Mike

WelshPaul

My firmware still stands at 3.0.1.4738

No firmware update available using ***6 and a manual download of http://fw.obihai.com/OBi2-latest.fw results in an error informing me I already have the latest build.

So I just added it to the OBiTALK portal and immediately I have a yellow triangle informing me that there is indeed a firmware update available... I am now running 3.1.0 (Build: 5110)  ::)

Go Figure!
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

lrosenman

There were updates in the portal today for both my 200 (my aunt's house) and my 202 (my apt).

Webslinger

Quote from: zorlac on January 14, 2016, 11:05:08 PM
Quote from: Webslinger on January 07, 2016, 08:13:10 AM
I'm able to download that FW file OK

Yes, you can now. You couldn't when I originally posted.

Quotebut I have a 200 not a 202, I guess that FW would work in either one?

Yes

Webslinger