News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Multiple Google Accounts?

Started by penguinjeff, January 04, 2016, 08:59:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

penguinjeff

I'm new to OBitalk.
I just setup one on Friday. It works good. Much, much clearer than magicjack.
But I have to use it a little differently then I used my magicjack.
I use to have my cell number ring the magicjack a few times then stop ringing the magicjack.
My cell number is on Google so I can not use my other account's google number because I can not have a google number forward to another google number.

I set my Obitalk 200 SP1 up with my alternate google voice number (a second account I have for my computer to text me with).

I just now set my Obitalk 200 SP2 to my Cell number but am not sure what this will do or if this is what I even want. I'm looking for what the SP2, SP3, SP... are for and how they can be used. Maybe some kind of rule set I can use with them?

lrosenman

on my 202, I have the following:
SP1: My google Account
SP2: Vitelity (for old house land line DID)
SP3: Wifes Google Account
SP4: Asterisk Extension (does my CNAM (Caller-ID Name) Lookup)

and all of them ring BOTH phone ports (actually, the 2 GV account hook through Asterisk, and get a CID Prefix for which one is being called).

What exactly are you trying to do?

penguinjeff

I think I figured out how to set a different ring tone for my cell number vs the home number if it works at all. I'll try it when I get home. I'll call from my wife's phone to my phone and if it rings the phone plugged into the OBi200 then it works. I don't know if the ring tones will differ; I may need a different phone for that.
Now I'm curious if I can use a star code for using my second service provider to make outgoing calls.
If dialing my cell phone works and has a different ringtone I'll attach my wife's to it as well. Then I'd want another star code to use her number outbound.

Irosenman:
Sounds like you have the 202? I only have one phone port unless does the 200 have the second line (shaking from excitement looking immediately after this post)
Do you need the Asterisk to do the Caller id?
I have a linux server what would I need (hardware wise) to setup asterisks and how do you figure what number was dialed.
In the past you had to buy a special card to use Asterisk, as such I never got really that into it.
If I can set it up with what I have I'd like to see how you did it. I'm guessing you can do it all through ip now a days.
How do you setup the Obi device to forward caller info to the Asterisk. (which I guess you have looking up the info and sending it to the phone?)
What did you need to do on the Obi side of things.
I'm guessing somehow you point the obi using SIP of some sort at an internal ip only you can see?

lrosenman

Yes, I have a 202. 

I use a setup from MichiganTelephone (no longer on the Net, since Obi started charging for stuff).

I'll pull my config when I get home and post for you.

The asterisk server just is doing SIP (it's running on a RaspberryPI 2, using pbxinaflash.com's incrediblepbx / Asterisk 13).

The info is passed via the SIP headers.

penguinjeff

Nice, nice. :-) If I had the 202 I'd buy phones that supported two lines and use a splitter (like so http://www.showmecables.com/product/telephone-splitter-rj11-jack-to-dual-rj11-l1-l2.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=2979&zmam=49733141&zmac=5&zmas=1&zmap=2979&gclid=CM7g3IiQkcoCFQ8yaQodoroACQ) to combine the lines then you could answer them on that specific line and have an open line. Hell I might just do this as I would know what line was dialed a lot easier. Hmm

penguinjeff

It looks like I already get CID and I have different rings for each phone number in. All I would really want is to be able to add 2 star numbers to use the 2nd and 3rd numbers out.

SteveInWA

It sounds like you need a better understanding of how OBi devices work with Google Voice.

You can set up two different Google Voice accounts on one OBi device -- for example, GV#1 on SP1, and GV#2 on SP2.

You can select which number is used as the primary line for outbound calls, and which lines ring which of the two different telephone jacks, line 1 and line 2, on your OBi.  To do this, just log into the OBiTALK portal, and set it up as you wish.

Assuming that SP1 is set as the primary line for outbound calls, then, to make a call using SP2, enter **2 before the phone number.

You don't need any of the fancy stuff as mentioned by Irosenman.

penguinjeff

Thank you SteveInWA
Yes I did just need a little help.
I setup 3 different google voice lines and a E911 with Anveo ($15/yr)
I found the **2 and **3 for using my other two google voices when I searched the forum.
Works much much better then magicjack or nettalk.
I have all the features I wanted but am kind of curious about using it with Asterik.

Only question now is do I need to pay a yearly fee to Obitalk?
Or is that only if I want an easy configuration through their web interface?
It looks as if from what I am reading the device has its own web interface that I might be able to use to do what I did from the dashboard on here.

I had to change the rings of the phones by using the "OBi Expert Configuration" then "Enter OBi Expert" then under "Voice Service" under "SP2 Service" at "X_DefaultRing" I had to unselect "OBiTalk Settings" then unselect "Device Default" then I selected 2 for "X_DefaultRing" for the "SP2 Service". I did the same for "SP3 Service" except I chose 3 for "X_DefaultRing".

To find "E911 with Anveo" I had to go to "OBi Dashboard" and select my device there I found an option for Anveo's E911 only. :-) and now I should be all set. Seems it took a while after I setup Anveo before it accepted my credentials, but it now says Registered instead of some error message I was getting the other day.
Works nicely.

Even if I need to pay $20/yr for the OBi support and $15 that is how much I remember paying to magickjack. I tried nettalk as a replacement but it was even worse. I'm quite happy with my OBi200 :-)

azrobert

FYI
If a number is unique (like specific area codes or international numbers) for a trunk, you can route these calls without using the **n prefix. The **n prefix can be changed to anything you want as long as it doesn't interfere with other numbers. I hate the **n prefix and use a single digit prefix for routing.

You can setup 1 or more extra phone lines on your OBi200 using a smartphone, computer or IP phone.

I bought an Android phone on sale for $10 that I use as an extra line on my OBi200. The last time I was in Fry's grocery store (part of the Kroger chain) they had a LG Android on sale for $10. You don't need to purchase a calling plan.

lrosenman

my "Fancy" stuff is so I can get CID Prefix's for whose calling, and CNAM lookup for google Voice.

If you're still interested in what I have speak up, or I'll shut up.

SteveInWA

Quote from: penguinjeff on January 05, 2016, 07:17:12 AM
Thank you SteveInWA
Yes I did just need a little help.
I setup 3 different google voice lines and a E911 with Anveo ($15/yr)
I found the **2 and **3 for using my other two google voices when I searched the forum.
Works much much better then magicjack or nettalk.
I have all the features I wanted but am kind of curious about using it with Asterik.

Only question now is do I need to pay a yearly fee to Obitalk?
Or is that only if I want an easy configuration through their web interface?
It looks as if from what I am reading the device has its own web interface that I might be able to use to do what I did from the dashboard on here.

I had to change the rings of the phones by using the "OBi Expert Configuration" then "Enter OBi Expert" then under "Voice Service" under "SP2 Service" at "X_DefaultRing" I had to unselect "OBiTalk Settings" then unselect "Device Default" then I selected 2 for "X_DefaultRing" for the "SP2 Service". I did the same for "SP3 Service" except I chose 3 for "X_DefaultRing".

To find "E911 with Anveo" I had to go to "OBi Dashboard" and select my device there I found an option for Anveo's E911 only. :-) and now I should be all set. Seems it took a while after I setup Anveo before it accepted my credentials, but it now says Registered instead of some error message I was getting the other day.
Works nicely.

Even if I need to pay $20/yr for the OBi support and $15 that is how much I remember paying to magickjack. I tried nettalk as a replacement but it was even worse. I'm quite happy with my OBi200 :-)

The support fee gets you an additional year of ... support ...

Meaning:  if you need/want to contact Obihai via opening a ticket regarding a problem, they'll provide you with technical support.  You can still continue to use the OBiTALK portal as long as you wish, without paying the fee, and you can manually install firmware updates in the future, without paying the fee.

So:  you're all set.  Enjoy.

penguinjeff

Quote from: lrosenman on January 05, 2016, 02:35:01 PM
my "Fancy" stuff is so I can get CID Prefix's for whose calling, and CNAM lookup for google Voice.

If you're still interested in what I have speak up, or I'll shut up.

Yeah I'm still interested. I could try a few things