News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

IPKall discontinuing service 5-1-16

Started by Taoman, February 16, 2016, 05:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taoman

IPKall will be discontinuing their service on 5-1-16. Those that have been using a free IPKall DID (perhaps with Google Voice) will need to find a new provider.

Quote from: IPKallNotice: IPKall will be discontinuing service as of May 1st, 2016.

http://www.ipkall.com/

LTN1

The free K7 fax is also discontinuing on the same date as IPKall.

I wonder if GV gave these companies the death blow when it changed the requirements to deny VoIP phone for initial sign up?

Taoman

Quote from: LTN1 on February 16, 2016, 09:50:20 PM
The free K7 fax is also discontinuing on the same date as IPKall.

Since International Telecom is the parent company of both services I guess it's not too unexpected.

Since RingTo is (apparently) moving to a paid subscription model and International Telecom is ending their free services I can't help but wonder who's next? Callcentric's free DIDs? IPComms?

Quote from: LTN1I wonder if GV gave these companies the death blow when it changed the requirements to deny VoIP phone for initial sign up?

That thought crossed my mind also. However, I think it is more likely the impending loss of Inter-Carrier Compensation. But that's pure speculation on my part.

http://www.ccmi.com/blog/bid/71708/Timeline-of-FCC-Order-to-Reform-Intercarrier-Compensation-Rates

SteveInWA

My $.02 (billed to IPKall  ;) ):

The FCC rule change is having the desired effect:  it will limit the parasitic business model of traffic-pumping (call stimulation) by chat lines, scammers, etc.  IPKall wasn't a legitimate, full-service CLEC --they didn't offer actual calling services; just phone numbers that had to be forwarded to some other company's SIP server.  Their sole business model was to make money off of other telcos.

My guess is that Callcentric, which owns their own CLEC, and has sufficient revenue from typical service provider operations (paying customers) will continue to offer a limited quantity of free DIDs as a way to attract business to their paid services. 

From the cost-of-doing-business standpoint, going forward, it only makes sense to offer free inbound numbers if it drives drag-along business to profitable services (it makes customers feel good about the company, and encourages them to "try it -- you'll like it").

BTW, Google is the exception in this regard; it costs them a fortune to supply millions of DIDs for GV, but a) they are rolling in billions of dollars of ad revenue, so it's a drop in the bucket, and b) the "drag-along" revenue comes from people spending more time in the Google ecosystem, and c) Google wants to maintain feature parity with Microsoft and Facebook with regard to offering telephony-related services.

vtsnaab

I've used IPKall for a DID since around 2013 as a connector to Callcentric.
It is too bad that they just don't change to offering a low cost paid service instead of killing it off.

As long as Callcentric offers free DIDs though, that is a good alternative.

CircleNet is also a great, paid option and I can vouch for the goodness of their services personally.

I wonder what others are offering free or super low cost DIDs - and if anyone knows of any if they might post them here for those orphaned by IPKall ??

Thanks.