News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using T-Mobile Pre-Paid SIM in normal T-Mobile Phone?

Started by DigitalMan, December 23, 2015, 04:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalMan

I ordered a T-Mobile pre-paid SIM to use so I can port my land line number to T-Mobile and then Google Voice. Our regular monthly cell phones are through T-Mobile. I assumed that I could just activate the pre-paid SIM in one of our current T-Mobile phones to receive the confirmation call right? If not I can buy a cheap T-Mobile pre-paid phone, but I had hoped I could use a phone we already have. Can anyone confirm if this will work?

Thanks.

LeoKing

Yes, you can use a TMo prepaid SIM in a TMo locked phone. I could even use the TMo MVNO prepaid SIM's (like from PTel) in a TMo locked phone.

SteveInWA

Just temporarily swap in the prepaid SIM, long enough to deal with the various porting steps.  After your port is completed, that SIM becomes disabled; throw it away and put your original SIM back in the handset.  This doesn't cause any problems at all with your T-Mobile service.

DigitalMan

Great, thanks for the help. Just waiting on the SIM card to arrive now.

SteveInWA

Just a reminder:  there is some potential risk involved with this procedure.  In particular, don't rush it.  You must ensure that the port into T-Mobile is completely finished before subsequently porting to GV, or you will end up with a mess.  By "finished", I mean that you've added some money to the T-Mobile account so you can make and receive  phone calls and text messages, you've tested that those things work, and you have set your own PIN for your T-Mobile account.  You will need that PIN when you initiate the port to GV.  The GV porting form will initially not have a place to enter the PIN.  Submit it anyhow.  It will email you with an error notice.  Go back to the porting form, fill in the now-visible PIN field, and submit.  The port will now begin.

DigitalMan

rayg

just adding my two cents.  I recently porting my landline number to a tmobile paid account then to GV.  I just added and extra line, which for me costs 10.00/month and ported landline to it and then to GV.  Steve is absolutely correct in not 'rushing' this method.  Make sure the cell has your ported number and you are good to go to GV.