News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New and no clue where to start !

Started by spinedoc, December 09, 2015, 08:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spinedoc

I'm looking to purchase and setup a system, but am honestly very confused by all the products and options and have no idea where to start.  I'll start by describing my current setup:

Small doctor's office
2 lines over DSL with Verizon
1 line is unlimited voice calling
2nd line is limited line mainly for fax in/out

I have a google voice number/account which I use with my business.  My google voice number is on my business cards and it forwards to my Verizon number.  I use regular landline telephones so outgoing calls still have the Verizon number on caller ID, which is not great.  Incoming calls are primarily from the google voice number forwarded.

Faxing is accomplished with a Brother MFC7240 which has PC fax software so I can send and receive faxes from the PC when connected to the MFC7240, which in turn is connected to the fax line.  I've tried fully electronic solutions like eFax but found they were unreliable and expensive.

Goals:
For the phone line a goal would be to get rid of Verizon altogether for phone service, and just use google voice with Obihai over the DSL connection.  In reality this may not be achievable because I most probably still want a hard fax line due to reliability.  But I can downsize to just one Verizon line for faxing.  I love google voice and love the integration with contacts, online voicemail, ability to block callers, etc.  I would also like to see if it's possible to have this setup, but if a 2nd caller calls maybe they roll over to another line so I don't miss that call.

For the fax line I would consider using fax VOIP but am not sure about the reliability.  Another issue is that I need to have fax confirmations for every single fax we send out.  The MFC7240 makes this easy as it prints out a fax confirmation page after every fax.  If I used GV as a fax I'm not sure how I could obtain a fax confirmation.

So I'm not sure what hardware to purchase, there are so many options.  I'm pretty good at configuring things once I get the right hardware.  My physical setup is a physical phone connected to a Verizon DSL landline at the front desk of the office.  My fax machine connected physically to the 2nd Verizon DSL landline and also connected to my front desk PC.  I have a wireless phone connected to the front desk phone in my office, but I do have access to one landline in my office if needed.

Thanks in advance, any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

dircom

If you depend on faxing, I think you are asking for trouble using VOIP
I would use a landline for faxing, (also failover # for your VOIP)
edit -

Get an OBI 202 for your voice calls, If you are using Google voice, for voice, I would add another provider for the ability for two simultaneous calls and redundancy

SteveInWA

Do not use Google Voice for health care related purposes.  It's not HIPAA compliant.  In particular, the texts and emails it sends are not encrypted, which is not permitted under HIPAA.

For patient communications, you should be using either old-school telephone calls and faxes, or a turnkey encrypted electronic medical records system with web-based secure messaging.

SeedlessOne

This is old but I had to post.  

You are a doctor? With patients....and you are using GV?  Man, speed the money and setup right.  Talk about major HIPPA issues.  Drs are some of the cheapest people around...it amazes me.  A freaking spine Dr at that.