News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice Anonymous Call Rejection HowTo

Started by Smee, April 14, 2013, 12:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smee

I have seen this question asked a few times concerning Google Voice and Anonymous call rejection.  One post described a method in which you enable the AnonymousCallBlockEnable option in Obi Expert under  Voice Service >> SP1 Service and under Voice Service >> OBiTALK Service.  Doing so will essentially block unwanted calls by preventing your phone from ringing.  This worked well, but the caller has to wait 4-5 rings before the Google Voice voicemail greeting kicks in.  This is not really a bad thing.  I just want to kick these companies to the curb as fast as possible since I am on the do not call list, and I want them to get the hint as soon as they dial in.

Google Voice actually does give you the ability to block Anonymous Calls.  Most folks get the Call Screening confused with blocking Anonymous calls especially those of us who just disable call screening because we think it's a pain.  Blocking Anonymous Calls on Google Voice is actually quite easy.

First got to settings then Groups & Circles

Click on Edit under Anonymous Callers

Then click on Edit next to Ring Default Phones and then un-check all of your phones, then save.

And for giggles you can also set a custom greeting for anonymous callers.  I used this one:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-LH2Z1ItkZId2t1eEt3UFl5d1k/edit

I imported the greeting into Google Voice using an MP3 player hooked up to line in on my PC.  I used the method described here:

http://youtu.be/Un5C7-CJtLg

Now when someone calls my home and they have blocked their caller id, they instantly get that message without delay.   ;D

Smee

swan2swan

WOW!! What a great advice! It really works - now my annoying anonymous callers will get the massage! ;D

Thanks!  :)

bubba9000

I've done the setup in Google Voice, it works...enough, but it still goes to voicemail if the caller has figured out the blocked call messages usually don't take 4 rings to play. Going to VM kind of defeats the purpose.

The original message is a few years old, and I've been searching through the forums to see if anything has changed, like how to make the OBI200 star code for the blocking work. I've seen nothing yet. Has anyone else seen or heard anything new?

SteveInWA

No, nothing's changed.  I recorded my own message, similar to the one that Smee linked.  I have never had anyone leave a voicemail on an anonymous call.  How big a deal is this for you?  Just ignore whatever occasional message you receive.  You can also find the listing of the call in GV History, and click the down-arrow to select the option to block that caller next time.  This option may or may not be successful, depending on the technology that was used to block the caller ID, but it's better than nothing.