News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Anveo E911 $15/year plan

Started by dantheman, February 03, 2016, 07:40:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dantheman

I'm about to sign up for the Anveo E911 $15/year plan.  There are a couple of the features from Anveo E911 that I don't really understand.

1.   E911 - Do I just dial 911 on the phone that connected to the Obi200 just like how I would dial on the land line in case of an emergency?  I'm sorry for such a dumb question.
2.   Emergency Call-backs and Reverse 911 are Routed Straight to Your OBi Device – Does this mean when the 911 operator call me back, it will ring on the phone that connected to the Obi200?  I'm confused because I use Google Voice.  My understand is that all of the incoming call will be forwarded to the other phone number that was configured in Google Voice.

Thanks so much for your help

RFC3261

Quote from: dantheman on February 03, 2016, 07:40:34 AM
I'm about to sign up for the Anveo E911 $15/year plan.  There are a couple of the features from Anveo E911 that I don't really understand.

1.   E911 - Do I just dial 911 on the phone that connected to the Obi200 just like how I would dial on the land line in case of an emergency?
Yes
Quote from: dantheman on February 03, 2016, 07:40:34 AM
2.   Emergency Call-backs and Reverse 911 are Routed Straight to Your OBi Device – Does this mean when the 911 operator call me back, it will ring on the phone that connected to the Obi200?  I'm confused because I use Google Voice.  My understand is that all of the incoming call will be forwarded to the other phone number that was configured in Google Voice.
The E911 plan adds an additional SP to your OBi.  It is used for outgoing calls only if you dial 911 (everything else goes via Google Voice).  The information you provide to Anveo (address, etc (that is the *E*nhanced part of the E911)) is passed to the 911 operator, along with a specific number which can be used for callback in the case that you are disconnected.  If the 911 operator has to place a callback, they dial the number, which is connected inbound directly to your Obi200 (and rings any attached phone).  Google Voice is not involved in any way.  As I understand it, the number is transitory and assigned to your particular 911 call association only for some limited period after the call is completed (to allow for callback, but not as a generic inbound number).

btw, be sure to go to anveo and enter the required information, and test using their test number (933, I think, but read the docs) to verify things are working.  If you make a mistake and dial 911, stay on the line to complete the call, state "This is NOT an emergency" and apologize for the mistake (not staying on the line means they have to presume that you were incapacitated, and they have to perform callback, and they may even need to dispatch emergency services; they MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer an apology than a hangup or no answer).

dantheman

RFC3261, thanks so much for the explanation.  I  understand how it works now.

dantheman

I don't understand this.  As of yesterday, all of my incoming calls to my Google Voice number were forwarded to my cell phone, and the phone that connected to the Obi200 NEVER ring.   My understanding is that how it supposed to work.  Tonight, all of the incoming calls also get forward to my cell phone just like how it supposed to work. However, the strange thing is that the phone connected to the Obi200 also ring, and work just like the regular land line.  The only change that I made is that I disconnected the AT&T service at the demarcation box.  Is that normal?

Thanks again for all your help

SteveInWA

Quote from: dantheman on February 03, 2016, 07:37:18 PM
I don't understand this.  As of yesterday, all of my incoming calls to my Google Voice number were forwarded to my cell phone, and the phone that connected to the Obi200 NEVER ring.   My understanding is that how it supposed to work.  Tonight, all of the incoming calls also get forward to my cell phone just like how it supposed to work. However, the strange thing is that the phone connected to the Obi200 also ring, and work just like the regular land line.  The only change that I made is that I disconnected the AT&T service at the demarcation box.  Is that normal?

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10918.msg71884#msg71884

drgeoff

Quote from: dantheman on February 03, 2016, 07:37:18 PM
I don't understand this.  As of yesterday, all of my incoming calls to my Google Voice number were forwarded to my cell phone, and the phone that connected to the Obi200 NEVER ring.   My understanding is that how it supposed to work.  Tonight, all of the incoming calls also get forward to my cell phone just like how it supposed to work. However, the strange thing is that the phone connected to the Obi200 also ring, and work just like the regular land line.  The only change that I made is that I disconnected the AT&T service at the demarcation box.  Is that normal?

Being able to make and receive calls via the phone plugged in to the OBi is what the vast majority of users want. GV can forward incoming calls to your GV number to up to 6 phones (including the OBi) and the first one to answer will take the call. You can configure all this on the Settings page at google.com/voice. If you don't want the OBi phone to be one of the forwarding destinations, untick the 'Chat'  box there.

dantheman

drgeoff, thanks so much for the information.  This is so awesome!!  I did not know it was available.