News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can you use an Ethernet switch?

Started by projecttoday, January 19, 2016, 06:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

projecttoday

I have set up my Obi200, phone, and internet using an Ethernet switch connected to the modem.  But the phone light on the Obi200 is off.  I can get my IP address from the phone with ***1.  But no calls.  Obi tech support is telling me I have to use a router because a switch won't work.  Is this so?

SteveInWA

I assume you mean that the switch plugged into a cable or DSL modem.  Your service provider only issues you one IP address.  The tech support answer was correct.  Your internet service provider's modem is intended to be plugged into a router, which will provide you with local IP addresses for the devices on your network, such as computers, IP phones, TVs, or whatever else you're using.  The router will typically have 4 or 5 Ethernet LAN ports on it.  Plug the OBi into one of those ports.  If you needed more than that many ports, then you can daisy chain an Ethernet switch onto one of the LAN ports on your router.  Think of the switch as a dumb AC power strip, with multiple outlets.  It doesn't have the ability to issue IP addresses.

Note to the troll:  I am not providing a full treatise on the operation or routers and switches; just enough noob info to make things work.

projecttoday

So can I get a cheap wired router that will work?  Can you recommend a model?  I only have one computer and the Obihai.

I used to have a wireless router and my ISP told me someone was downloading movies illegally from my account and that if it didn't stop they would cancel my service.  And it was definitely no one in my household.  I just stopped using that router and the problem stopped.  I didn't really use the wireless very much and don't need it now so if I have to get a router it can't be wireless.

SteveInWA

Any currently-sold router would work for your needs.  Anything from Linksys or Netgear would be fine.  I wouldn't recommend buying a really old router, as it wouldn't likely have recent firmware updates.  You can generally find lower prices on routers that don't have the latest WiFi standard (802.11ac).  So, for example, a 802.11n router would be fine.

I haven't seen a router sold without WiFi in years.  If you are concerned about security, set a strong password on the router and disable WiFi.

projecttoday

Thank you.  Is it possible to disable wifi on all routers?

SteveInWA

Yes, it's just a check mark or other thing to click on the router's configuration menu.

Lavarock7

Also, ensuring you have a cryptic password on a wireless router can limit who can access it.

Also, some routers also allow you to block certain websites and/or control who can access your connection based upon MAC address. Each internet device has a different MAC address (it is similar to a hardware serial number).
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

projecttoday

But if wifi is disabled, I don't need to worry about the password.  Right?

SteveInWA

Quote from: projecttoday on January 20, 2016, 06:44:15 AM
But if wifi is disabled, I don't need to worry about the password.  Right?

There are two different types of passwords.  The administrator's password for the router, and the password(s) for the router's WiFi access point.  If you aren't going to use WiFi, then the latter is moot (the WiFi radios are turned off).  Regardless, you should still set a strong password for the router itself, instead of the trivial "admin" or other password.